• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing My new hunting toy, Few questions

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
I just bought a T/C encore pro hunter in a 300 WM. Never owned a 300 so thought it would be a nice one for the collection. Only problem is that I'm a lefty and the stock is the right hand thumbhole. I've looked everywhere and cannot find a place that sells a left handed pro hunter stock so I'm either going to have to go custom left hand laminate or find a trade for a standard pro hunter stock w/ out the thumbhole.

Also does anyone have any idea how the brockman on/off muzzle breaks work? They claim that the POI stays the same on or off and I have researched everywhere on line and have not found anyone having a write up testing them. If they are as good as brockman claims then I am wanting to install one to make range time more enjoyable.

I've read where the 300 encore likes the heavy hitters so I'm going to order some 208 A Max's to load. Should hitlike Thors hammer on hog/deer

12.jpg

11.jpg

Thanks,
Brandon

Re: My new hunting toy, Few questions

Suggestion: As far as stock goes. Have you given any thought to getting the pistol grip pro hunter stock. Would be "ambi" in that case. Unless you realllllly are into the thumbhole thing.
Every Encore I owned has had the "pistol" grip and its quite comfortable.
Welcome to the encore club, now ya just need a few more barrel's an you'll be fully addicted. Side note, check out encoreclassifieds.com for parts and tips etc.
Good luck be safe...take some pics of your trophies with your new toy.

Not shot the 300 wm in my encore but have a couple rifles in that cal... Welcome to the 300 WM Fan club.. If you can get that stick to shoot them.....
The 150gr are smokers on whitetail....they shoot kinda fast, make good hole in and big hole out and are not bad to shoot on the back side..( just a thought based on my limited -25+ years- of killin stuff with them)

What ever you shoot I believe you will be impressed with its actual performance on game

Good Hunting!!!

Not shot the 300 wm in my encore but have a couple rifles in that cal... Welcome to the 300 WM Fan club.. If you can get that stick to shoot them.....
The 150gr are smokers on whitetail....they shoot kinda fast, make good hole in and big hole out and are not bad to shoot on the back side..( just a thought based on my limited -25+ years- of killin stuff with them)

What ever you shoot I believe you will be impressed with its actual performance on game

Good Hunting!!!

Ghogs, The pistol grip pro hunter stock is what I'm wanting. I'm hoping to find one to trade out for my thumbhole stock.

This is my 2nd encore, My first I installed a boyd laminate w/ 270 sporter 24" barrel and a 22-250 26" barrel. Thing would shoot lights out with the right loads. Stock split not long after I had it right between the grain.

Kytrpper, Thanks man for the advice. I'm going to stick with 180's after thinking on it. Best of both worlds and it has a 1-10" twist. Think it should stabilize the heavies pretty good, maybe... I have some 150 Accubonds for my 308 i can load if needed. I'm kinda excited about it, It's over kill in my area for deer but I have some big ol hogs that can take a lick to use it on.

I've got this exact rifle and I love it. I'm a runt- only 155 lbs and this thing knocks me around pretty good but with the thumbhole stock the recoil is straight back and very manageable. I've been doing a little shooting with some 150 grain junk core-lokt bullets and about the best I can do is around a 3" group or so at 100 yds. I'm looking to get some 180 & 200 grain premium ammo and see if groups tighten up. I also have the same gun in the 209 X 50 muzzleloader, with a 240 grain bullet and 150 grains of triple seven it kicks like hell but knocks the piss out of deer! Keep us posted on shooting results. You might check with the TC custom shop, they may be able to help you out with the lefty stock.

Well I shot the rifle today some. I loaded my 178 gr A max's with H1000 79-82 gr. in 1 gr. differenece testing loads. Man this thing was a bear to shoot after I reached about 81 grs. Best groups were at 79 & 82 gr loads. Guess I'll loads a few up withing .5 gr. each way and see where I get.

Going to order a Hinge locker pin for it also. It has some slop in the action so I'm going to wait for it to get in before I test any more.

Rifle seems like it will be an awesome pack rifle for long trips. Very light for what it is.

Just ordered my over sized pins, hammer/locking/trigger springs, and about to order a pillar bedded forearm and laminate buttstock.

Guess I'll see what it can do. I've read some reviews on some that have been tweaked getting some aesome accuracy out of them.

You should have posted two days ago. I just sold this left handed stock set for $100 delivered. You can still get a set from EABCO. But it will cost you a little more than $110. I really like mine. I have a couple of sets, plus a custom set of Turkish Walnut. But there are lefties available. Tom.

003-4.jpg

033.jpg