• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My New Savage 10P-SR

Hotled

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2014
Well I finally found one. I hope to get her sighted in this weekend and start breaking the barrel in.
I have a feeling she is gonna love 165-168gr, but will use some cheaper 150-155 to do the sight in and break in.
Now I need a decent bi-pod and camo job lol.
lightbox

Attachments

• rossbrake.jpg
    rossbrake.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Nice looking gun. I'd shoot her, for a while before dumping more cash into her. Those rings look a little high for my tastes. I try to keep my scopes as low as I can.. Good luck.
Looks sweet. I've not gotten my hands on one of those yet. How much flex does that forend have? It doesnt look like the tupperware that came on my savage 16.

The 10tr has the accu-stock. The 10 p-sr doesn't have the accu-stock. I'd definitely prefer the 18 inch p-sr to the 20 inch 10tr. Please report back when the bi-pod is installed. I'd really like to know about that fore end. I've seen free float savages touch the stock when supported by a bi-pod.

Update: Changed the rings to Millet Low style rings and went to the range with 3 different factory loads. Some cheap 150gr Hog ammo from Winchester and 2 boxes of Federal Fusion, one box 165gr and one of 180gr.

The 150gr was used for sight in and actually was shooting MOA but just barely. It really surprised me I though I would be lucky to get 1.5s.
Moved on to the 165gr- first shot 2 click higher than the 150 but it shot a .745 group the first time. I proceeded to shoot 3 groups and the best being .667
I let the barrel cool and did a slight clean on it then shot 1 fouling shot.
180gr is what this thing really liked first two shots halved each other and the third ripped between those to a .589 then the fun started.

I started getting random flyers, and I mean bad like 4 inches off, consistently right and low. I checked the scope base and rings immediately after the 2nd flyer and they were good.
Shot 1 more round dead right 4 inches- went to adjust the windage and guess what , the turret came off in my hands lol! OMG I was po'ed.

Lesson learned- don't try cheap crap on bigger calibers. Well at least I know I have a shooter.

Next up- Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 I think.

Sorry for the issue with the scope, but GLAD for your groups and your potential with this rifle!!!!! Good luck on your next scope and I hope you'll post another range report. :D

I feel it will only improve with trigger time. I haven't spent time at the range other than pistol in 30 years since Military.
The trigger is just slick, the action is a bit loose and rough but nothing use won't take care of.
The brake really makes it nice to shoot- recoil of a 223 but damn it's deafening lol.

That has been my experience as well with brakes. I had a Savage cut down to 16" about a year ago with a large brake on it. The recoil, like you said, was comparable to a 223, but NO ONE wanted to be beside me when I shot! LOL!!! A LOT of people on here love Savages, and I also happen to think they are an outstanding value for all the features you get out-of-the-box. Enjoy!

Glad to hear you had some luck, just picked up mine in 16" last week. I'm equally surprised on the heavier bullet. What distance did you shoot at?

I was only at 100y. The 1:12 twist does like heavier lead for sure.
I am now topping it off with a Redfield Revolution as soon as Academy opens up: got the kitchen pass:p

I was only at 100y. The 1:12 twist does like heavier lead for sure.
I am now topping it off with a Redfield Revolution as soon as Academy opens up: got the kitchen pass:p

Literature indicates that the 10p-rs has a 1:10 twist. All my savage 1:10 twists like FGMM 175s. I guess since you shot good groups off the bipod the fore end is not a problem.

I'd suggest an SWFA scope if you want tough as nails optics. No need to thank me, but you could tell me more about the stock. I'm seriously considering a p-sr.

I have the 18 inch p-sr and it has 1-10 twist with 5r rifling.
I have had to put new stocks on every savage synthetic stock rifle I purchase. I'd like to know if your fore end has much flex. Can you bend it to make it contact the barrel? The OP got very good groups prior to an optics failure. How are your groups and with what loads...?

I have had to put new stocks on every savage synthetic stock rifle I purchase. I'd like to know if your fore end has much flex. Can you bend it to make it contact the barrel? The OP got very good groups prior to an optics failure. How are your groups and with what loads...?

I cant comment on loads or groups just yet I haven't picked up a base rings or scope yet. As far as the fore end of the stock it does have some flex but you got to press pretty hard on it to make contact with the barrel. Like I said I haven't fired the rifle yet but i feel the stock will be fine till I get funds for something better. If i had to guess the gap between the barrel and the stock is between 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch on my rifle.

I cant comment on loads or groups just yet I haven't picked up a base rings or scope yet. As far as the fore end of the stock it does have some flex but you got to press pretty hard on it to make contact with the barrel. Like I said I haven't fired the rifle yet but i feel the stock will be fine till I get funds for something better. If i had to guess the gap between the barrel and the stock is between 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch on my rifle.

Brought it home last night. I really like how short this rifle is. Plan on mounting swfa 10 power. After I get my tax refund next year, I'll order a Huntertown Arms 308 can. Anybody shoot one of these suppressed yet?

I have the same rifle and ive had it for quite some time. While its a very accurate rifle in factory stock it also tends to have flyers or poi shift every couple of rounds. My factory stock flexes like crazy i can make it touch one side of the barrel to the other side and also the bottom. I did bed it and that helped some but im going to be dropping it into a choate tactical stock asap.

Switched scopes, moved the bipod to the back stud- she is solid now.

Kind of funny you mention that because i took sat my bipod back on the 2nd stud and noticed it was much more solid and didnt have as much poi shift if any at all. Unfortunately for most of my shooting it also sat it at an awkward position so i went back to the front. I have a choate stock incoming but i think im still going to tinker with the stock and bed in some rods at the forend.

I have the same rifle and ive had it for quite some time. While its a very accurate rifle in factory stock it also tends to have flyers or poi shift every couple of rounds. My factory stock flexes like crazy i can make it touch one side of the barrel to the other side and also the bottom. I did bed it and that helped some but im going to be dropping it into a choate tactical stock asap.

I've been considering the Savage 10 Precision Carbine which has the accustock. Is that stock going to be better in terms of the issues you guys are having with the flex more or less making the barrel no longer free float?

Moving the bipod back to the 2nd stud was done through necessity as the front stud actually pulled out when trying to tighten the bipod down. At first I was mad but after spending time at the range it was a nice surprise, as there was no more POI shift at all. I shot from the bench and prone and loaded the bipod to make sure.
.863 5 shot groups with factory ammo, I wish I hand loaded so I could really see what it would do, but I am very happy with the rifle and glad I did not spend the extra cash on the PC model because I do like the Bolt handle on my model better, this way I can use the extra cash for a custom extended mag or camo job.

Today was ammo testing day. Just trying to find out what it likes. Today I shot 147gr,150gr, 168gr and 180gr.
It has been confirmed this thing absolutely HATES 147gr with random fliers and a 3-4 inch spread. It does MOA or a little better with 150 if it's good ammo, and today's winner was Australian Outback .308 Win. Sierra MatchKing Bullet, 168 Grain, 2791 fps

This stuff showed up Friday from Cheaper Than Dirt. This is quality ammo despite the price at least imho.
It was sub moa in a 14-18mph swirling wind from prone.
My rifle loved it. It did shoot a bit differently, was 2 clicks lower than my usual set but when your 2nd shot is a dead bull and you rip the hole bigger with the next 3, it's a keeper I think.
Definitely gonna have to stock up on this stuff.

Today was ammo testing day. Just trying to find out what it likes. Today I shot 147gr,150gr, 168gr and 180gr.
It has been confirmed this thing absolutely HATES 147gr with random fliers and a 3-4 inch spread. It does MOA or a little better with 150 if it's good ammo, and today's winner was Australian Outback .308 Win. Sierra MatchKing Bullet, 168 Grain, 2791 fps

This stuff showed up Friday from Cheaper Than Dirt. This is quality ammo despite the price at least imho.
It was sub moa in a 14-18mph swirling wind from prone.
My rifle loved it. It did shoot a bit differently, was 2 clicks lower than my usual set but when your 2nd shot is a dead bull and you rip the hole bigger with the next 3, it's a keeper I think.
Definitely gonna have to stock up on this stuff.
Ive been using the same ammo when i can get my hands on it. I think ita beem 1-2yrs since first finding them. Are those the fps you chronoed?

I purchased a 10P-SR last week after finding one on sale for $475 -couldn't pass it up. Anyhow, after doing a little research it seems like aftermarket bottom metal and stocks may be an issue because this model 10 has the new trigger-guard bolt release instead of the old side of the action bolt release. Have any of you guys run into this issue when looking for stocks/bottom metal?

I purchased a 10P-SR last week after finding one on sale for $475 -couldn't pass it up. Anyhow, after doing a little research it seems like aftermarket bottom metal and stocks may be an issue because this model 10 has the new trigger-guard bolt release instead of the old side of the action bolt release. Have any of you guys run into this issue when looking for stocks/bottom metal?
I have a dark eagle 10rd magazine that fits my factory dbm. I shouldve bought two of these.

Stocks that fit off the top of my head are

•boyds pro varmint (previously known as the "tacticool")

•choate tactical

•manners

Chassis systems

•mcree

•xlr

Dbm

•Cdi

Last edited: