• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My New Savage today - BIG Dissappointment!!

Re: My New Savage today - BIG Dissappointment!!

Re: the trigger problem experienced by the OP.

I don't own a Savage but I shoot with guys who do. I was scoring for a guy with the same trigger problem on a "new" rifle at a match recently. Unfortunately all the Savage guys were in the pits and nobody at the line new the fix. (I think he skipped his last relay) It seems it's a problem if you have the trigger set too light. All you need to do is dial the trigger pull up a little and the problem is fixed.. If you want lighter than about 2 lbs (and you say you don't) then I guess you need to get another trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thing about the Accutrigger. The way the adjustment works is you loosen the spring tension, which reduces the pull weight. As you loosen the spring tension, the spring threads through a hole. The taper of the spring prevents it from adjusting below 1.5 lbs. You have to really use some force to force the taper through that hole to get under 1.5 lbs, which is something I did not try. I doubt Savage did this for you. It might be possible your dealer measured the weight incorrectly?

CompositeAccutrigger.jpg
</div></div>

Thank you for the schematics on the trigger. No one messed with this rifle between it leaving Savage and getting to my dealer. When I talked to Mr Savage he even said that it shouldn't have left the factory like that.

No the dealer did not measure it incorrectly. It is the same digital scale he uses to adjust every trigger that he works on. We took 5 reading to get an average. So it wasn't some one time fluke that it broke at 1.25. It was an average of the 5 tests.

For Now I am waiting to hear back from Mr Savage. I have a feeling that this will be resolved in a Satisfactory manner. And I really hope that it is.

I do look forward to using that damn rifle once I finally get this all sorted out. But lord please let it be a shooter. I would hate to get this all sorted out, have both Savage and myself be satisfied with the outcome. Then find out down the road that it wont shoot worth a damn.
crazy.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this all works it self out. But we shall see.

To be continue.... </div></div>

When it is resolved to your satisfaction, will you remove all the mess you have created on the hide? How hard would it have been to just call savage and get it resolved before throwing it out like a child on the net? I do not work for savage but happen to like their stuff and it works well. Unfortunately you got a lemon (all manufacturers have lemons) and it is the sttitude in which you act to negative situations that determine you personality. WE have all been hung out buy some manufacturer of something at some time. Most of us do not go on the web and start bashing a company before they had a chance to fix it. That is at least what is owed to them, then if they do nothing you would be vindcated in the bashing. I agree that there are problems with the gun that you received. I work in the firearms industry and I see all kinds of this stuff going on, so it is not just Savage. In the end you will be happy with their product. Please feel free to pm or email me if you feel this is out of line. </div></div>

Lemme Guess Azrpc.....were you the person who called Savage and pretended to be me?? then asked them to correct their website? It would not surprise me. Because that is exactly what happened.

Yes the website was changed to read internal box instead of detachable. "after" someone called up with the info from this thread, stating that they were me and asked that Savage kindly correct the website.

So when "I" called and spoke to a Manager (not by my choosing by the way, it just worked out that way because he was the one who picked up the phone after I was on hold for 19 minutes) they thought that I was calling again a 2nd time about the same exact situation.

Hmmmm..... now that was confusing for both Savage and myself. If it was you who called Savage before I did Thank you for interring in something that did not involve you.

I know you are butt hurt because I posted my experiences with a Savage product. Well get over it. I am not "bashing" Savage. I stated facts. If you want to call "stating facts" bashing then so be it. As you can clearly see by other posts on this thread, I am not the only one with an experience like this. Also noted by other posts referencing similar problems others have had in the past with this same company.

I absolutely will not remove this thread. And by the way "this mess the I CREATED" as you put it, was not "created" by me. It was created by the company that allowed the flawed rifle to pass quality control. I'm not sure why you are not able to understand that fact. But it is what it is even if you are not able to comprehend it.

What I will do is post the resolution. Whatever the outcome may be. As for "throwing it out on the net like a child" what I was doing was posting my experiences and sharing with my peers in the same field to see if this was a common problem with this specific company or to see if it was an isolated incidence. And to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and to find out what resolution they may have had with this company.

In case you are not aware with how this "internet thingy" works, what it allows you to do is to communicate with other like minded individuals on very specific topics and share experiences and opinions.

I do believe that Savage will make things right. They have already agreed to do so. Once that has been completed I will post the outcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't agree with Azprc(Brad). Most people here expect an occasional problem to arise from all companies. Nightforce, Remington, GAP, you name it, they all have issues come up from time to time. The real meat and potatoes of this thread will come once Savage deals with it. Savage has a chance to go above and beyond, and make all of us aware that they are good to go company. They also have the chance to make all the readers leery of them. I'm a Savage guy, but I think that if a company can enjoy the free advertisement they get from positive posts, they may have to take a hit from a negative post. Time will tell which of the two this thread will be. </div></div>

Exactly 3fingervic,

I believe that this thread will end up becoming a ringing endorsement for Savage. It may have started out negative. But Savage has the opportunity to change it to a positive and to show the shooting community that they will satisfy a customer when a problem does come up.

They have agreed to correct the problem. At this point I am just waiting for them to do so.

I'm a Savage slappy, but I don't think any company should get a pass. As I said before Savage doesn't mind getting the free publicity when they get raving reviews from people on sites like these. They (Savage) should expect a negative review when the F up. That said, this will/could be positive for Savage after the OP is taken care of.

Posted before I read the above post.

OK here is the deal guys. Are all of the problems I listed in the OP major problems? Not really. Except for the delivery of the internal box instead of the advertised detachable box magazine.

Could I fix the scope? of coarse, should I have to adjust it just for it to be properly bore sighted and straight? No

Could I adjust the trigger? of coarse, should I have to just to get it to function properly? No! Should a trigger in general have to be adjusted just for it to function properly? No. With the company knowing this fact should a company allow it to leave the factory like that? No

will the stock eventually get scratched up? yes, but is that the point? No, Of coarse a rifle that is to be used strictly as a hunter is going to get scratched up over time. Does that fact mean that the manufacturer is allowed to let the finish on it leave the factory sub-par? No

could I have a new recoil pad installed? yes, should I have to on a new rifle? No

could I change the internal box to a detachable box magazine? yes, should I have to spend extra money on a new rifle just get what I originally ordered? No way in helll!

Now here is my main point, should a customer have to do any of this on a brand new rifle just to get it to function properly an to get it back to a condition to where it would actually pass their own quality control? NO

Do I expect to get what I ordered and for it to be properly assembled? Absolutely. Does the amount of money spent on a new product change ANY of these facts? NO

if the rifle arrived with just one of any of the above listed issues other then missing the detachable box magazine I would have accepted it and just dealt with it myself. But when a company will allow a product to leave their factories quality control department with ALL of these issues then that is a problem that the company needs to address.

At this point Savage has agreed to address ALL of these problems to make sure that I am a satisfied customer.

Was that the point of all of this........................

Will this end up a positive or a negative thread for Savage once they deliver the final product? You tell me.....

By the way, for all the Savage fans on this board I am happy to report that Savage has agreed to replace the stock and add the detachable magazine, check the trigger and adjust it or replace it as necessary and remount and bore sight the scope as well as send me the 3 shot group target they use to do so. (I must admit having Savage send me the target showing the 3 shot group that this rifle shoots was a big surprise to me, not to mention a pleasant one)

once I receive the final product I will post the results along with the pic of the target that Savage sends me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're not seeing things. When I posted last night, it still said detachable box magazine. It was definitely changed to internal within the last 12 hours.</div></div>

you are both seeing things
laugh.gif

it's said internal for ages, since at least january 2010.

archive.org has it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100102173011/http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10XP+PREDATOR+BRUSH

I have 6 Savage rifles. From .22LR to the .338LM and all I can say is that I love everyone of them. Never had any issues with quality. Every Savage I own is a sub minute gun out of the box.

Man, I must be one lucky SOB to have that many Savages and no problems. Hope you resolve the issues you are experiencing.

I wouldn't think any company would pre-set up a scope for someone. That's something that has to be set for your body build etc. Something you need to do yourself or have a knowledgeable person help you with.

+1 on the rest of the issues. Hopefully they make you happy. I'm going shopping for a 10 Precision Carbine Monday!
laugh.gif

Dave

That sucks. I would send that crap back. I don't care if you bought a Surgeon, if it isn't working properly it's crap. I look at my rifles as tools and expect them to function the way I need them to. If they don't, they're crap.

Regarding the dipped finish, that stuff will rub off quick out in the sticks. It will last longer if you spray some matte krylon clear coat or something similar.

Being upset about the scope is a bit like being upset that your Nike's came without being laced up. Everyone is going to have to set up their scope for them anyways, so who cares where it is set from the factory.
The trigger is adjustable, so to bitch about the pull weight is the same as above. It takes a few minutes to adjust and everyone will have their own preferences. Did your car come from the dealer with the seat set exactly to your liking? or did you bitch to the manufacturer that you had to move the seat back?
The DBM only comes on the non-package deal rifle. It has been that way since before I purchased mine two years ago. This is a common topic from people who buy the scoped package, so even if the website had a typo for a short period, I would still say this comes back to your own lack of research.
The camo dip very well could have been poor, but it is an imperfect method to begin with. Based on how upset you are about the scope issue I would chalk this up to unrealistic expectations for a factory dipped stock. I don't think I have seen a single one from any manufacturer that perfectly filled all of the checkering.
The recoil pad is something I would likely be upset with and is really the only true issue with this rifle. So send it back and get a new one. Or stick with Remington who never sends out inferior products with poor finishes.
Your replies to just about every comment in this thread show that you already know everything and have your mind made up, so why do you need our responses?
And at $900 you are getting raped which is what I would be pissed about. I ordered mine from Walmart for about $600, granted it didn't come with that sweet Simmons scope.

I have a few of the new savage rifles, 2 Precision carbines .223 and .308, and a Model 12 LPV DBM in .308. They all shoot very well the .223 the being the least accurate. The accutrigger is not my favorite for sure on my daughter .308 PC it had to be adjusted above 2 pounds so it would not lockup on bolt closure. The accustocks are a pain the .308 PC stock is shot out, it has over 1500rds down range and the stock is soft, the wedge had to go at 800rds and getting it torqued just right is very hard now.(Manners emailed me this week new one is done cant wait). the Model 12 is very accurate and was only 750.00 OTD, last month so the pricing you were quoted seems very high. I have a buddy with a package 300wm savage rifle and the scope is cheap and was also mounted wrong but I think savage believes you will set up scope for your own liking. I have a newer LTR that wont shoot groups at all, and a old Model 700 in 264wm that shoots under MOA all the time so go figure. The few times I have dealt with savage CS they were okay, not great. They always want the rifle and always have told me it would be 6 weeks or so to get it back. I chose to replace the trigger on PC myself, and just buy a manners stock. I am sure savage would have replaced both under warranty but I did not want to wait and did not want another accutrigger or accustock.