• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My VLEH 10/22

chaotic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2012
Georgia
www.facebook.com
Hey guys Im new here on SH. I just wanted to introduce myself and make a post instead of being a lurker. I just bought my first target rifle, here is my ruger 10/22 VLEH. Im looking for suggestions on modifications. Also any other suggestions you might have.
PFYFP.jpg

htJr8.jpg

Re: My VLEH 10/22

The most important upgrades that I've found on my 10/22 are the trigger and stock. I switched my trigger out for a Hornet Custom (~$80) which is pretty good but not as good as a Kidd or Volquartsen which are at least twice as much as the Hornet. I also got the Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint stock ($172) and it is amazing.

My understanding is the VLEH has some special trigger that is lighter than standard 10/22s so depending on what you want, you might not need to replace it. However I couldn't imagine shooting my 10/22 without the B&C stock.

Welcome to the Hide and don't forget to fill out your profile. Where in GA are you located?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good start. I would look for shorter scope rings so you can get a consistant cheek weld on your stock. Stock and trigger after that. Welcome to the Hide. </div></div> Yes I definitely see what you mean about the scope rings. Im gonna get some more "low profile' rings for sure! Thanks for your input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The most important upgrades that I've found on my 10/22 are the trigger and stock. I switched my trigger out for a Hornet Custom (~$80) which is pretty good but not as good as a Kidd or Volquartsen which are at least twice as much as the Hornet. I also got the Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint stock ($172) and it is amazing.

My understanding is the VLEH has some special trigger that is lighter than standard 10/22s so depending on what you want, you might not need to replace it. However I couldn't imagine shooting my 10/22 without the B&C stock.

Welcome to the Hide and don't forget to fill out your profile. Where in GA are you located? </div></div> Im in Gainesville GA. I really like the houge stock that came on it and its rubberized "grippy" feel, So i might stick with it for a while. And the trigger is nice but I'm sure its not as nice as the kidd or Volquartsen. I might be ordering one of those soon. thanks for the suggestions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your price point? If money's no object then this'll get reaaaally pricey. </div></div> On the whole build?

On the scope. There are some Falcon Menace scopes that have gotten good reviews, Sightron (sp?) also makes some nice scopes for the money. I'll be putting my 4-16x50 Vortex PST on my CZ452 (currently on my 10/22) when it gets here. Some go as far as putting NFs, March's, USO's. It's all about what features and quality you want as well as how much you're willing to pay for them.

I chose the Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 as I really like the EBR-1 MOA reticle as well as the warranty Vortex has. If you're ever in the Augusta area, hit me up and I'll show you my 10/22 setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can know get a Kidd trigger kit, not whole trigger assembly for $105 that is tits. Drops it to under 2 lbs.

Definitely worth the dollars.

Eddie </div></div>

I just put one of these KIDD Trigger Kits in a buddies new Ruger K10/22T (with the plastic trigger housing). I never scaled the factory trigger so do not know a before and after pull weight. After installing the KIDD Trigger Kit the trigger pull is quite crisp right at 2 pounds. To be honest I was quite impressed for a drop in trigger kit. There are two adjustments that can be made with this trigger (one is pretravel and one is overtravel) but I did not feel the need to change either adjustment screw setting.

I too would replace the scope rings and get it as low as possible.

Larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the scope. There are some Falcon Menace scopes that have gotten good reviews, Sightron (sp?) also makes some nice scopes for the money. I'll be putting my 4-16x50 Vortex PST on my CZ452 (currently on my 10/22) when it gets here. Some go as far as putting NFs, March's, USO's. It's all about what features and quality you want as well as how much you're willing to pay for them.

I chose the Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 as I really like the EBR-1 MOA reticle as well as the warranty Vortex has. If you're ever in the Augusta area, hit me up and I'll show you my 10/22 setup.

</div></div> Yeah Ive been checking out the Vortex scopes. They look awesome but are a little out of my price range right now. The Falcon Menace looks really good. Ill have to do more research and shooting to really see what i need or want. Id like to see your set up for sure. Is there any good places to shoot around Augusta? cause theres nothing good around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can know get a Kidd trigger kit, not whole trigger assembly for $105 that is tits. Drops it to under 2 lbs.

Eddie </div></div> Yeah thats Definitely on my list!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Larry in SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can know get a Kidd trigger kit, not whole trigger assembly for $105 that is tits. Drops it to under 2 lbs.

Eddie </div></div>

I just put one of these KIDD Trigger Kits in a buddies new Ruger K10/22T (with the plastic trigger housing). I never scaled the factory trigger so do not know a before and after pull weight. After installing the KIDD Trigger Kit the trigger pull is quite crisp right at 2 pounds. To be honest I was quite impressed for a drop in trigger kit. There are two adjustments that can be made with this trigger (one is pretravel and one is overtravel) but I did not feel the need to change either adjustment screw setting.

Larry </div></div> Okay scope rings and kidd trigger are on the list! thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Larry in SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can know get a Kidd trigger kit, not whole trigger assembly for $105 that is tits. Drops it to under 2 lbs.

Eddie </div></div>

Larry</div></div>

I felt no need for adjustments either, but we may be talking about a different kit. Mine had no way to make any adjustments. There were no screws to adjust that I remember.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Larry in SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-1022-trigger-job-kit_p_95.html is a link to the kit I used in my buddies K10/22T. On the bottom of the very forward portion of the sear there is a pretravel adjustment screw and an overtravel adjustment screw in the face of the trigger.

Larry</div></div>

There sure is, I didn't notice it! Thanks for setting me straight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swapped out the mag release, bolt handle and installed a BHO on mine. Trigger was pretty good, so I left that alone. </div></div> Yeah After shooting mine a few more times i decided the trigger that came with this gun is awesome so ill leave it alone too! Its a different trigger than the standard 10/22s for sure!