• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Natgeo: Life below zero

She is surviving and feeding her family with a rifle most would not even dream of using. I think it is great and shows that the Mosin Nagant can be a very effective weapon in the hands of a shooter.

How many of us would base our survival off of a Mosin?

Anyone else think that this girl "Agnes" shooting a Mosin Nagant, with open sights at a running wolf or an elk is so fricken bad ass!

I don't have TV but I will look for it in netflix. I don't watch TV unless it is a nice documentary about science, nature or something nice or a nice movie too.
I think you will enjoy the documentary HAPPY PEOPLE - A year in the Taiga. I traveled all over Europe but never made it that far up. Something it is quite difficult actually.
It is in netflix too...

Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010) - IMDb

...I think you will enjoy the documentary HAPPY PEOPLE - A year in the Taiga. I traveled all over Europe but never made it that far up. Something it is quite difficult actually. It is in netflix too...
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010) - IMDb

Nice documentary showing very resourceful and talented outdoorsmen in a beautiful albeit inhospitable place fishing, trapping, building and running sleds. I saw on it on Netflix instant earlier this year.

Have not watched the natgeo series, but did watch the Happy People of the Tiaga. It is very intriguing as those folks live a far from simplistic lifestyle, but completely stripped of superfluous crap that we tend to find important. Be it out of choice, or because it was during the fall of communism. Not being political, just an observation as the main character was put there by the government, and basically left to survive his first winter with scare supplies.

The resourcefulness of these people is utterly amazing. They either work hard or die.

Last edited:
Shouldn't this thread be in the theater subforum? Anyway, I don't watch many "reality shows" as almost all of them have terrible writers and actors. "The Real Husbands of Hollywood" is about the most realistic I've seen, though it claims to be the fakest. I prefer actual documentaries, these days any series seems to get fake pretty quick.

I watched the Happy people and thought it was great. The fellow sure knows how to use an ax. As far as the other series, I also think it is pretty good except for the lady that lives by herself. She seems to get on my nerves when her mouth opens.

Have not watched the natgeo series, but did watch the Happy People of the Tiaga. It is very intriguing as those folks live a far from simplistic lifestyle, but completely stripped of superfluous crap that we tend to find important. Be it out of choice, or because it was during the fall of communism. Not being political, just an observation as the main character was put there by the government, and basically left to survive his first winter with scare supplies.

The resourcefulness of these people is utterly amazing. They either work hard or die.

The Russian government never gave a dung about their people. Anybody was spendable as they showed in their war and post war tactics.
Read about the making of the road of bones across Siberia. Then all the sudden Hitler looks like a Carmelite Sister next to Stalin.

There in the taiga, there is no bush pilot or Air Alaska to lift you to safety. You make a mistake, you almost certainly die.
I thought it was interesting how well they adapted ancestral methods for trapping and surviving and their choice of rifle is always
a Mosin or SKS carbine. I guess that is all they have.
I also found interesting the way they "talk" to the tree to select the wood to make their skis and how they move in the forest and blend like part of it.
In those extreme environments we always learn more from the ancient natives than any other modern tactics to survive.

Its TV with a director and producer. I have friends that were on or worked on Alaska based TV; Deadliest Catch, Out of the Wild, Alaska Experiment, Ultimate Survival to name a few and talked to and know some who went to casting call for several shows currently and future. I have done work for productions locally, not everything you see or hear is factual!

I picked up on another show on Netflix, Alaska:The Last Frontier, about the Kilcher family homestead. It is rather interesting, just the family dynamic and some of the things they must endure to be self sustaining. Some of the hunting scenes seem contrived, but the daily regiment seems real. Worth a look.

I picked up on another show on Netflix, Alaska:The Last Frontier, about the Kilcher family homestead. It is rather interesting, just the family dynamic and some of the things they must endure to be self sustaining. Some of the hunting scenes seem contrived, but the daily regiment seems real. Worth a look.

I don't think they are on TV by accident either. The singer Jewel is the daughter of Atz Kilcher.

I don't think they are on TV by accident either. The singer Jewel is the daughter of Atz Kilcher.

I thought everyone knew this.

Knowing people up here involved in these shows and some that have declined because of the "proposals", I believe about 10% of what I see on any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even Deadliest Catch, last time I said this I got raped by those that think the show is total raw, friend was a boat captain on the show and while I have no first hand knowledge, he says only the pilot was raw, since then, the director and producer have input into the direction/drama of the show.

Sons friends went to cast call for the wild guns show and was told all sorts of things to be and say for the show.

I cannot believe Alaska was sold out to the south 49 for all these stupid TV shows about Alaska. Thanks Sara!

I thought everyone knew this.

Even Deadliest Catch, last time I said this I got raped by those that think the show is total raw, friend was a boat captain on the show and while I have no first hand knowledge, he says only the pilot was raw, since then, the director and producer have input into the direction/drama of the show.

Sons friends went to cast call for the wild guns show and was told all sorts of things to be and say for the show.

I cannot believe Alaska was sold out to the south 49 for all these stupid TV shows about Alaska. Thanks Sara!

You'd be surprised how far a $ can go. Snowmobile broken, fishnets torn, need a new hunting rifle, house needs repairs and all you have is Seal Blubber to trade...

Back to "Bolt Action Rifles". The Mosin has an incredibly basic trigger mechanism. Not much there for mud or ice to interfere with. Probably considered totally reliable and much appreciated in a place where the human is also considered as prey.

I've noticed a lot of these type shows about life below zero, Alaska, or yukon life, etc. are geared for the urban dweller that is void of any actual experience in outdoor vocations, ie. running chain saws, trapping, operating heavy equipment, climbing trees with climbing gear. Even some of the shooting footage, with the poor marksmanship displayed, as mentioned earlier. you will role your eyes at what the producers think the public will accept. As we move further into a society of modern life with everything prepared for us without us having to learn how, or ever having to do for ourselves we will believe and take for gospel what we see on tv. And a lot of it is B.S. or hype. Not all of it, but you should be able to tell what is staged and what is actual based on you own outdoor experience. My wife gets tired of me critiquing all the hype I detect on these shows.

I've noticed a lot of these type shows about life below zero, Alaska, or yukon life, etc. are geared for the urban dweller that is void of any actual experience in outdoor vocations, ie. running chain saws, trapping, operating heavy equipment, climbing trees with climbing gear. Even some of the shooting footage, with the poor marksmanship displayed, as mentioned earlier. you will role your eyes at what the producers think the public will accept. As we move further into a society of modern life with everything prepared for us without us having to learn how, or ever having to do for ourselves we will believe and take for gospel what we see on tv. And a lot of it is B.S. or hype. Not all of it, but you should be able to tell what is staged and what is actual based on you own outdoor experience. My wife gets tired of me critiquing all the hype I detect on these shows.

Do watch "happy people. a year in the taiga". No BS there. It is a documentary on those folks way of life vs. a reality series.

Well said, all these shows are for those who dream of the life and fantasize so to speak and have no real idea living in track housing working in a office, cubical, etc. They go to the city park and think its an adventure.

Having a TV show about space travel where I have no idea, just about anything could be said of done as real I could very well believe it but stomping in the backcounty, well I do have a few prints there.

Filming and showing real life would be boring.

While I still do criticize at times, its for entertainment not real life so I try to just watch but sometimes just get this is stupid and move on.t

The story that got me interested in this genre of shows was of Dick Proenneke and "Alone in the Wilderness". He settled in Twin Lakes in the late 60's and built everything by hand, with hand tools. The film has footage shot on a 8mm (I think) camera and is narrated. He went up there in his 50's and just carved out a piece for himself. He was one hardcore guy, If I remember correctly, he carried an old Eddystone 30-06 for hunting. Most guys complain if their rifle is over 7 lbs. You can catch clips on youtube, but the dvd may be in public libraries.

The Story of Dick Proenneke and how he built a cabin by hand in the wilderness, DVD and VHS

The Life and Legend of Dick Proenneke | Twin Lakes Alaska | Alaska Alpine Adventures

Proenneke's Cabin - Lake Clark National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)