Need a scale to confirm powder charges. Which one?

TX_Punisher

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
I'm thinking my chargemaster 1500 is off based on es on the labradar today. I'd like somethingunser $200 to confirm/ check the 1500.

What are you guys having success with? I think I may also start to trickle up with the omega now.

Thanks for the input.

Have you tried playing with seating depth? That made a huge difference in a friend's 243, he went from the upper 20's down into single digits. I removed the front plate in his AI mag so he could load closer to the lands and that is all it took. I don't get how it works but I've read about it and seen it first hand.

Reactions: Rhed
I use 3 CM lites simultaneously. And check each charge on a Dillon scale before goin on auto charge. So far it’s been dead on. I only dump the powder back in the tube if the CM reads over or under charge. I do cross check again with the Dillon every 25 charges.

Have you tried playing with seating depth? That made a huge difference in a friend's 243, he went from the upper 20's down into single digits. I removed the front plate in his AI mag so he could load closer to the lands and that is all it took. I don't get how it works but I've read about it and seen it first hand.
Agreed.. consistent seating depths plays a major role too. I’ve had good seating with Forster micro seaters. But switching to Wilson/Sinclair chamber seater die gave me the best results. Especially with runout.

I'm mag loading so I shoot for 3 thou. Does someone make a .261 mandrel? This is 6.5 creedmoor I'm shooting.

As far as I know, only one thou and two thou are standard, though I believe KM offers the ability to custom order a specific diameter.

I have a GemPro 250 and for my purposes (I also use it to verify my Chargemaster) it does fine, as long as you know and account for its limitations. It doesn't handle trickling well, so you have to lift the pan, add your powder, and replace to weigh. It's also pretty sensitive to even the most minute drafts or electrical interference, so I encounter a small amount of drift. If I were loading all my ammo on it, I'd find a better option, but as a "check" scale, it's perfect for me.

If you’re looking for a good scale I’d suggest an older American made balance beam like a Lyman M5 or a early 10 10 from Ohaus or RCBS. There’s a guy that tunes older balance beam scales where they are accurate and repeatable to one kernel of Varget. His name is Scott Parker and he has a FB page called single kernel scales. The nice thing about balance beam scales is you’re no dependent on power and they don’t drift. You can find some older scales on Ebay for a decent price.

I got a like new, lightly used Gempro 300 I can part with real cheap. Like said above, not that great if you plan on trickling into but does work great for checking weights. Ended up getting a FX120 with the rebate a couple months back so don't need it anymore.

I used a gempro 250 to check my chargemaster before I got my A&D FX120i autothrower/trickler. It worked fine for what it is, but as someone else stated it's pretty sensitive to drift and in my case tended to drift even in a temp controlled indoor room in the house. I verified that my powder pan weighed 157.70 grains. Over the course of a reloading period I could watch the Gempro readout when the powder pan wasn't on it read -157.72 then -157.74. Then I would have to place the pan back on and zero the scale again. Quick fix, but relatively irritating.

I use a Gempro 250 for loading handgun ammo. Never have had a measure and I hand weigh all charges and trickle. I check calibration of the scale with precision check weights before every session.

Bang for the $ I sincerely love my Gempro 250 - It does not like trickling but it's easy to get it to re sample by lifting the edge of the pan and setting it back down gently. This weight shift causes it to recalculate and it's very accurate. The reason I have never used a measure to throw loads is that I have never used one that is anywhere near as accurate as using the scale.

Here's one great review of the Gempro 250. I'd buy another someday except it has a Lifetime guarantee.

VooDoo

As far as I know, only one thou and two thou are standard, though I believe KM offers the ability to custom order a specific diameter.

I have a GemPro 250 and for my purposes (I also use it to verify my Chargemaster) it does fine, as long as you know and account for its limitations. It doesn't handle trickling well, so you have to lift the pan, add your powder, and replace to weigh. It's also pretty sensitive to even the most minute drafts or electrical interference, so I encounter a small amount of drift. If I were loading all my ammo on it, I'd find a better option, but as a "check" scale, it's perfect for me.

I've been using my Gempro 250, and mine seems to handle trickling well. It's just a little slow to respond, but it does respond. It will measure the adding or removing one kernel of Varget. That's good enough for me.

I've been using my Gempro 250, and mine seems to handle trickling well. It's just a little slow to respond, but it does respond. It will measure the adding or removing one kernel of Varget. That's good enough for me.

That has been my experience with mine(Gempro 250) as well. When I drop a kernel or two in the pan, I then count to 10 seconds, and at some point in there the display updates to reflect the new weight. Painful I know, but patience is a virtue. YMMV.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I dispense with a Charge Master and then double check the weight with a digital analytical balance by U.S. Solid. It measures down to the 1/1000 and at times drives me crazy chasing the exact number, but I did notice my SD drop into the single digits on the chronograph

I'm mag loading so I shoot for 3 thou. Does someone make a .261 mandrel? This is 6.5 creedmoor I'm shooting.

A 0.261" mandrel, after you account for the brass to set back (0.001") would give you 0.004 neck tension. That seems pretty high. Sinclair makes both an expander mandrel (0.263" or 0.002 tension) and a turning mandrel (0.262" or 0.003 tension). Get the carbide, it's worth the extra money over tool steel.

Reactions: TripleBull
RCBS 502 beam scale works fine for me.

When banging steel I just check what the charge master throws about once every 20 rounds. If shooting for tiny groups I let it throw and then verify/trickle on the beam scale.

$80 and if it’s not accurate enough then my groups and ES hasn’t noticed yet ?

Reactions: Rhed