Gunsmithing Need a St. Louis, MO Region Professional Scope Mounting and Sighting In Expert

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
So, I've sunk thousands of dollars into my new-to-me 338 Lapua, Accuracy International Artic Warfare rifle and have a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 scope for it. It came with the AI mount the previous owner used, with a Nightforce scope...I am looking for assistance getting my scope installed properly, fit to me, and then sighted in properly. I could try to do it myself, but frankly, I don't trust my ability to do it properly. I plan on using it out to 2200 yards on our training facilities long rifle range.

Can anyone recommend a truly professional and well trusted and experienced person in the STL, MO area who could help me out and make sure my scope is truly good to go, including making sure it is all set up for me, personally, with eye relief, level, properly centered, etc. etc.

I live in the Saint Louis, MO metro area and can easily drive 1 to 1.5 hours to have the work done, if the person is the right person to go to.

So, I've sunk thousands of dollars into my new-to-me 338 Lapua, Accuracy International Artic Warfare rifle and have a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 scope for it. It came with the AI mount the previous owner used, with a Nightforce scope...I am looking for assistance getting my scope installed properly, fit to me, and then sighted in properly. I could try to do it myself, but frankly, I don't trust my ability to do it properly. I plan on using it out to 2200 yards on our training facilities long rifle range.

Can anyone recommend a truly professional and well trusted and experienced person in the STL, MO area who could help me out and make sure my scope is truly good to go, including making sure it is all set up for me, personally, with eye relief, level, properly centered, etc. etc.

I live in the Saint Louis, MO metro area and can easily drive 1 to 1.5 hours to have the work done, if the person is the right person to go to.

If you have more than two synapses firing at any one time and don't hang out on ARFcom... you are more than capable of doing this yourself. Especially with some of the talent around here to give you a bit of help and a few atta-boys.

This is not rocket-cooking or Knife-in-the-drawer-science.

It's why you are on SH.

You can do this... post some details of your rig, equipment and tools. And we'll get you through this, Jefe.

Cheers,

Sirhr

BTW... since your OP has some good info... some things to start with: Scope tracking drill. Make sure that at 100 yards, your knobs are doing what they are supposed to. There are plenty of instructions here in various places.

Check that the Parallax is right on at your distance. As you say you have a NF.... it should be. Those are tier one optics. They work..

What's your down base? Check your full scope adjustment travel and see if you need a different base.

Do a check of your reticle using a piece of graph paper and draw on marks for either the correct MOA lines or the correct MIL lines. Make sure that your reticle is perfect. As it is a NF.... it undoubtedly is. But check anyway.

Get a bubble level on your rifle and compare with your reticle. Level the thing.

Set your eye relief to YOU, not the last guy who owned the rifle.

Make sure you have a good set of torque drivers and reset the bedding torque and the scope torque and then make some red index marks on your screws with a bit of testors model paint. And paint your torque numbers next to the screws so you never forget them. If the torques are not right... loosen and start again. Re-index until YOU are satisfied. Remember when buying torque driver that there is a big difference between foot pounds, inch-pounds and inch-ounces. Get it right.

You have the right equipment... Doing the right setup is not hard. Anyone who can achieve the resources to own this level of equipment is smart enough to put it together, set it up, sight it and maintain it. With a bit of instruction. You are clearly in the category of human beings who earned the ability to own this rig. You can do the work yourself.

Cheers and congrats on a really nice setup. I don't often get jealous of someone's gear.... but this is close! Very close!

Sirhr

OP, depending on your density altitude, your velocity and BC you might not have enough elevation adjustment to reach 2200yds without holdover.

It'll be more than 100 MOA (~30 Mils) drop to 2200yds. Your ATACR only has 100 MOA total elevation (50MOA up and down from center). You'll either need a wicked BC, a lot of velocity or a steep MOA base. If you go too steep on the MOA base you won't be able to have a practical 200yd or so zero.

RE: Confidence. Just go shoot. You'll figure it out. Anything you assemble can be redone if need be. Consistency is key.