Need Advise, 16" to 12.5" 5.56

Island_Mando

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2024
Arizona
Hey Yall, I'm looking to get some advise & additional input to help me make up my mind on my current situation

Let me start off by saying. I've had my current setup for 4 years now and have been slowly improving it.

Build is a 16" MK2 BCM complete upper w/ surefire warcomp, on a Aero M4A1 lower

Earlier this year I finally picked up a suppressor, decided to go with the RC3 since I had an existing surefire muzzle device. I was originally going to go with the RC2 at the time but surefire had released the RC3 to help with the back pressure. I know there's better suppressors out there that's a lot more quiet. But I went with Surefire's RC3 because I've seen more durability testing and reliability with Surefire and they're known to take a beating. That's more in important to me that a really quiet suppressor.

Been running my setup with the RC3 for 4 months now and getting used to the additional weight, running it on a 16". I've noticed the weight becoming a lot more bearable now. But after taking a 2 day course, 6 hours a day back to back training. After a while I was really starting to feel the weight.

I've been looking to shortening my AR and getting a complete 12.5 upper, more than likely another BCM since I haven't had issues with them and their barrels are pretty accurate from what I've experienced. Only issue I have with BCM is that they don't have an option to come with an adjustable gas block.

My question's to yall are-
1) Is there another company you'd recommend that sells a 12.5" complete upper w/ a adjustable gas block? That's not PSA, DD, Anderson. Looking to spend no more than $1,000 on it. Doesn't need to have a BCG or a charging handle since ill be swaping my current ones over.

2) Going from a 16" to a 12.5" would technically make my AR a SBR since I'd prefer to run a stock rather a pistol brace. How would I go about that legally? I'm from AZ

12.5" uppers are slightly niche; you would probably be better off moving down to 11.5", where you will see far more options. The RC3 is a flow-through design, so personally, I would not get an adjustable gas block to start out with.

For your lower, you can Form 1 (SBR) the lower, or it may be an easier option just to purchase another lower like an Aero Precision (generally can get on sale for under $100) and run a brace on it. When you purchase it tell your gun store you want it to be considered a pistol (or just a receiver if that's an option). If you want to Form 1 it, you can run it till your stamp comes back.

A receiver can be made into a pistol (sub 16" upper), then a rifle (16" or longer upper), and then back to a pistol. However, a receiver that is a rifle cannot become a pistol.