• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need chronograpgh advice

TRPAUBREY

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
I am looking to purchase my first chronograph. Can someone tell me the difference between beta, alpha and gamma? I am looking to spend $130 to $150. Any recommendations or advice on brands and/or models would be appreciated. Indended use would be mosetly .308 and pistols. Thanks

Re: Need chronograpgh advice

I used the Shooty Chrony Alpha Model for several years and it worked well but it had it's short comings. I liked that it was compact but it took a while to set up since the screens and legs were multipiece. However, I recently bought a Competition Electronics ProChrono and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. It's a lot easier to set up, it's a little more user friendly when reviewing shot strings, and I like the extra battery storage compartment too.

Which ever one you pick a neat trick that I learned to help speed setting up the chrono so that everything was aligned was to use a laser bore sighter. I bought a cheap boresighter from walmart and put it in the bore and got the rifle lined up with the target. With the laser on I take a piece of cardboard and trace it back to the chrono and adjust the chrono so the beam will go over both sensors. Now I don't have to keep going back and forth from the rifle to the chrono to make little adjustments to make sure I don't nail the chrono. I figure it takes me about a third of the time to set up now using the ProChrono and laser boresighter than it did with the Chrony.

Is anyone using the "Shooting Beta Chronograph" sold at Cabelas? In the desciption it is called "Shooting Chrony's Beta-Chrony Chronograph.

I use the Blue Beta Chrony. Works fine for me. Keep in mind, it's a budget chrony. Having nothing else to compare it against, but it has always worked when I need it. Battery life is good but take an extra battery (I found myself once with a dead battery in the range).

I have a CED M2, I like it a lot, easy to set up and take down, the data is easily retrieved, and I trust the readings it gives me, in the bright TEXAS sun to cloudy winter days it has never missed a beat.