• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need double rifle case suggestions please

PowellSixO

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 2, 2018
I'm going to be flying with 2 rifles for a deer hunt this fall, and need to get a hard case that will protect them from the airport. Both rifles will have Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 scopes on them. The one rifle is pretty long with a 26" barrel and muzzle brake (not sure of exact rifle length, I'll have to measure tonight). I really don't want to have any issues with them being damaged during the trip, and it needs to be air port approved. Can someone please recommend a hard dual rifle case please? Any pics you might have would be appreciate as well. Thanks.

Resized_20180408_122803.jpeg
Resized_20171222_162814.jpeg

is it possible to transport them with the barrel not attached to the action to shorten the length of the case?

For the right case I'd be willing to do that. Whatever it takes to keep them safe from a pissed off airport worker. I've been planning this hunt with my little brother for a long time, and would hate to have anything mess it up. In fact I'm almost to the point of driving the 1000 miles instead of flying, just so I don't have to worry about losing anything through the airport.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've looked at the Pelican, and it looks like a good case. I just wanted to make sure it would fit both rifles. I think I am going to go ahead and just drive though. Our hunt is going to be 8 days long not including the drive. A day up and a day back is going to suck, but I think it will be worth it. The peace of mind knowing all my stuff will make it safe and sound will be worth it.

I have two (one short one for shotguns, and one long for two scoped rifles) that are something like this for travel, but they're a lot heavier looking, and have a steel rod that runs through all the latches with a padlock that locks directly to the metal of the case.
https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Sh.../Cabelas-Bullet-Proof-Aluminum-Cases/5221.uts

Mine are very old (probably 60 years) and were my fathers, but they lock in a way you would need heavy tools to get into them, and they're made of very thick gage metal.

I'm totally a fan of the Pelican cases, for sure, but I feel a lot more comfortable having them out of my possession in a metal case with that steel rod locking people away from my expensive rifles and shotguns. I've flown with them all over the place and trust them completely.

I'd agree with redneckbmxer, you are going to need a one big pig of a case to adequately protect your two rifles pictured.
Possibly this one:
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/protector/1770

I'm sure you've determined that you absolutely need to the two rifles for the hunt, so I won't try to sway you from that, but two separate cases might be an alternative to consider?

More like these:
Kalispel Gun Cases

In fact, after a closer look these are exactly what I have. Didn't know they went out of business, but apparently these guys picked up the ball and are running with it.
Honestly, if you just handle on of these it will totally put your mind at ease. I've traveled to some third world shitholes with rifles and shot guns where I'm sure they were about as gentle as:

and when I opened up the case everything was perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowellSixO
Pelican does make a big double decker case that would probably accommodate them, but it's nearly the size of two 1750's or 3300's and probably costs just as much. I'd rather have the two cases vs just the one. Extra protection for each gun, plus you then have a greater chance of the airline getting at least one of your guns to the right place.

Reactions: PowellSixO
365275EF-3EF4-4AB5-8A1C-7663E707D579.jpeg

Took this pic to show a friend but it shows two full size rifles in a pelican 1750. They both have folding stocks though.

Edit: “sticks” / stocks. Same thing

Last edited:
One rifle in a pelican is a beast to haul around- even with the wheels. Two rifles in a single case will be even less weirdly. Almost surely enough to put any airport worker in a luggage destroying fit. Then there is the issue of having both of your eggs in one basket...

And, 1000 Miles is one day’s worth of hard driving. If you are willing to leave early and arrive late, it can be done- even solo.

Reactions: Bradu