• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

need help choosing which press to buy

Daniell108

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
I will be loading 45ACP, 6.8SPC, 5.56NATO, 7.62NATO(LR and carbine) and 300 WIN MAG for LR. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with a Dillon 550 base model, a 650 base model or a CH444 H style press.(found here) Not only do I want to be able to crank out loads for the semi auto carbines I have. I want to be able to use it for precision reloads for my bolt rifles, are there any other presses I should look at?
I don't want to buy 3 different presses or have to change out dies all the time. What I'm primarily looking for is an interchangeable "tool head" on the press that won't compromise the integrity on my long range loads. Any suggestions?

Re: need help choosing which press to buy

I started out loading precision rifle ammo on my progressive press (Hornady L-n-L) that I had been using many years for pistol and non precision rifle. I found it too much of a pain and ended up buying a single stage press for precision ammo, which ended up working a lot better for me.

Maybe the Dillon can multitask better than the Hornady did for me. One of the biggest issues I had was some of my match seating dies have a collar that extends down to center on the brass. This addition length prevented the shell plate from turning with a bullet on the top..so I had to manually lift the collar and then crank it. It was a pain in the ass.

1lnbrdg, I have read that post which is why I'm having such a hard time determining which one to choose. I want to be able to load all my rounds on one press which is probably a pipe dream as I get more familiar with reloading. But I want to make sure that I end up satisfied with my choice of reloading press. It's just a tough choice because everything I have found says they are both really good presses and well worth it while one can produce faster than the other. The CH444 is pretty much 4 single stage presses in 1 but the Dillon has the same function with a rotating base instead of moving one shell to the next stage by hand. I'm on the fence so to speak about these reloading presses, they both seem to be ideal for the jobs I want them to perform. Which has lead me to ask for an outside opinion on which is more ideal for making both precision and semi auto loads.

Daniell, there is no perfect answer.

I don't think you will be disapointed with the Dillon 550. will load 25ACP (if you can find the dies) to 300 Weatherby size cases. Works well in either progressive or semi-progressive. I haven't done the shell-plate upgrades and still get <.005 TIR on my match ammo.

A lot of people like the Hornady, I haven't tried it. I do prefer the 550 over the 650 for semi-progressive, some like the 650 semi-progressive.

I do really like the 650 for full-progressive loading though.

If you're loading precision, get a single stage (I run a redding big boss II). You can be more "involved" with each step. I also recommend starting on a single stage, because you learn more about what goes into reloading.

I always consider a progressive press a "churn and burn" for a safe conservative load. I have a dillon square deal B for my pistol ammunition. I don't think I'll ever buy a progressive press for rifle ammunition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daniell108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be loading 45ACP, 6.8SPC, 5.56NATO, 7.62NATO(LR and carbine) and 300 WIN MAG for LR. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with a Dillon 550 base model, a 650 base model or a CH444 H style press.(found here) Not only do I want to be able to crank out loads for the semi auto carbines I have. I want to be able to use it for precision reloads for my bolt rifles, are there any other presses I should look at?
I don't want to buy 3 different presses or have to change out dies all the time. What I'm primarily looking for is an interchangeable "tool head" on the press that won't compromise the integrity on my long range loads. Any suggestions? </div></div>

I really have nothing but good things to say about the Dillon 550 when I used to reload high volume target handgun ammo in .38spcl, .357Mag, 9mm, .45ACP and volume target .308Win for my iron sight H&K91. But trying to load precision .308Win ammunition for my bolt gun was a problem and less consistent past 600 yards without some changes.

With handgun ammo being so cheap and living in California (sold off the H&K91) I'm only really reloading in .308Win for long range precision bolt guns. The Dillon 550 is a very good press and IMO the only progressive press to buy that can do it all pretty fast and pretty good pretty cheaply. The Dillon 550 is simple and easy to use and with extra tool heads it's a breeze to change over to different calibers. All this easy to change calibers costs money but once you have a toolhead setup you don't have to adjust anything to switch calibers. Just load the toolhead, swap shell plates, swap case retaining buttons and primer tube and head if necessary and start cranking out ammo in just a few minutes.

For precision bolt gun work you will need to address some issues the Dillon presses have that hurt long range precision. First is the excessive play found in the tool heads which Dillon claims is a centering "feature" designed into the press. Excessive play may be a feature but excessive play is not a good feature. The second issue is the lack of adequate precision in the weight of the loads thrown by the Dillon powder measure. These issues are not a problem for volume ammo as I had no problems using the standard Dillon powder measure for volume handgun and rifle ammo.

For precision bolt gun use you will want to make some changes to the press, buy a good scale and alter your workflow. But if you do I can promise you that the Dillon 550 is capable of producing loaded ammunition that is as good or better than anything you can buy or make on a conventional press and it only takes up the space used by a single stage press.

For precision .308Win ammo I use the Dillon 550 as a single stage press. This is to say I perform all operations in the usual way as if loading on a single stage press. This way I do not have to set the dies up as if there will always be a case in all stations. The reason is that any press that acts on the brass off the axis of the press ram will have bending forces that influence the repeatability of a forming operation on the brass.

It is possible to compensate for this by carefully setting up each die one at a time with all forming or seating stations loaded with brass and always having brass being processed in any forming or seating dies. This method is not as repeatable or accurate as single station die use which is why I use a single die station at a time. Additionally I prefer to scale my powder charges and to visually check my case in a loading block before seating a bullet.

Hope this helps you decide on a new press!

Here is my Dillon 550 setup for loading high precision .308Win ammunition. Clockwise from the right Redding Competition bushing die, Redding Instant Comparator (seriously AWESOME tool with minor modification) Redding Type S bushing full length die, Redding Competition bullet seater all mounted in a UniqueTEK modified clamping Whidden CnC floating toolhead.

The photo shows a UniqueTek Turbo Bearing but the Turbo Bearing has been replaced. See the photo below, using a stock 550 diecast indexer machined to accept a similar bearing setup as the Turbo the hitfactorshooting.com part is much tighter fitting and smoother in operation.

dillion550btoolhead.jpg

550PremInstallOrderBottom_md.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andrew Pynckel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're loading precision, get a single stage (I run a redding big boss II). You can be more "involved" with each step. I also recommend starting on a single stage, because you learn more about what goes into reloading.

I always consider a progressive press a "churn and burn" for a safe conservative load. I have a dillon square deal B for my pistol ammunition. I don't think I'll ever buy a progressive press for rifle ammunition. </div></div>

Baloney! Did you bother to read what the OP needs his press to do? What is your opinion based on?

XL650 is a pistol press. I do use mine for .223 but nothing "precision".

550 is a good base press, AP is a good base press and RCBS Pro2000 are good base progressives.

XL650 is ideally suited for action pistol for mass production practice ammo.

650 shellplate floats too much for precision concentricity.

I'm using the Dillon 550 for everything I load now. 9mm 45 ACP 308 260 223 and 300 weatherby. It works fine for me. When I load for precision I use one of their bushing adapters for my redding powder drop and keep going. I really like the whole set up.

Thanks for all the help I decided to go with the 550 Dillon since I'll be spending more time on target rounds for the ARs and pistols that me and my friends enjoy shooting. Thank you everyone who participated in this discussion.

I have 9 presses mounted on my reloading bench.

Never use: Dillon 550B.

Sometimes use; RCBS Rockchucker, (3) Lee reloader presses, Lyman All American.

Frequently use; (2) Forster co-ax presses, RCBS partner press.

If I were to buy a 10th press, it would be another RCBS partner press:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/403729/rcbs-partner-single-stage-press

Someone else might have a different reaction to those presses.
It depends on use and personal style.
I do not shoot competition.
I reload over 60 different cartridges.
I have designed, built, and sold parts for the co-ax press.
I make some of my own dies.

What does it all mean?
I am an tinkerer.
You may be a production line guy.
Different presses for different folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Baloney! Did you bother to read what the OP needs his press to do? What is your opinion based on?</div></div>

It's all over the internet you can't load match grade ammo on a progressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911wrench</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XL650 is a pistol press. I do use mine for .223 but nothing "precision".

550 is a good base press, AP is a good base press and RCBS Pro2000 are good base progressives.

XL650 is ideally suited for action pistol for mass production practice ammo.

650 shellplate floats too much for precision concentricity. </div></div>

I must have missed that memo.

Good thing, because I'd have to quit using my 650 to make my high master ammo.

In regard to the 650 being pistol-oriented, and the 550 more of a universal press... Why then does the 550 case feeder ONLY work for pistols, while the 650 does both rifle and pistol?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Baloney! Did you bother to read what the OP needs his press to do? What is your opinion based on?</div></div>

It's all over the internet you can't load match grade ammo on a progressive. </div></div>

Did you happen to do any research on the CH444 or just write it off because it's a progressive style press?

My opinion on the subject after looking all over the internet to gather more information, and like you said a lot of people say "it can't be done." but there are those who say "yeah it's possible.". I believe it is possible with a re-ordering of dies and a few minor modifications as to just how you perform them along, with being cognoscente of the small amount of wobble or "floating" a quick die change style progressive press has. Now I'm not saying it's going to be perfect or easy but I believe if you tinker with one enough you can get your rounds into the match-grade category. Probably not the top of it but still in it.

I am not trying to badger you in anyway with the question I asked above. It is to see if you have any information in regards to that particular press, so I can expand my knowledge of it. All the reviews I have found and read about the CH444 state it is an excellent press. I hope you do not take offense to this post as it is simply so I can try and understand just what issues a progressive style press has when it comes to making match-grade munitions.

I understand the tool head is going to float on the Dillon 550 and am already attempting to come up with a way to combat that for precision rifle rounds. I also understand that there will inevitably be some wobble in the shell plate as well still working on just how to fix that. I don't see any real issues with the powder part as they will all be weighed on an scale prior to being placed in the brass. I am positive there are several really technical issues I did not mention however I am confident that those are the main ones that everyone brings up in regards to progressive presses in general.

All feedback is welcome on this subject.

FWIW, all commercial match ammo is loaded on progressive presses.

You absolutely CAN load precision ammo on a progressive press but every man's/woman's notion of precision is different and in my experience it will require match dies and tweaking/tuning of the press to get it right (including replacing the stock powder measure).

Spend lots of time in load development as there is nothing more dissatisfying than having to pull 800 rounds of match ammo that is "not quite right".

Good shooting ...

I use a Hornady AP LNL and a Lee turret press. Covers all the bases for me.

Have also used a buddies Dillon 650. Very nice.

All of the progressive press have alot going on and take a little more attention to keep running well.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Baloney! Did you bother to read what the OP needs his press to do? What is your opinion based on?</div></div>

It's all over the internet you can't load match grade ammo on a progressive. </div></div>

Ha, ha you're a funny fellow!