• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft Need help counting clicks.

Re: Need help counting clicks.

Boils down to the fact that if you want to shoot at long range then you need to surrender to the inconvience of getting to a place to do it effectively with actual rounds down range, adapt to that inconvience, and then just do it.

Nothing can replace actually firing rounds to confirm your dope at a specific yardage....anything else is just guessing.

Must suck to have to drive like that for a place...prayers sent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to sound like an @ss....but if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't be shooting that distance to begin with. </div></div>

thats what i was thinking....

1/4in clicks @ 100 yards means each click = 2.5 inches @ 1000 yards.... divide your drop by that and thats how many clicks...but the fact that you dont understand that MOA isnt a unit of measure gets me thinking you wont be on paper @ 1000 yards on your first shot.. and how exactly could you PROVE to "them" that youll be on paper the first shot without actually taking that shot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MOA isnt a unit of measure</div></div>

If you're going to be technical about terminology, MOA is in fact a unit of measure (angular measure). What it is not is a unit of linear measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MOA isnt a unit of measure</div></div>

If you're going to be technical about terminology, MOA is in fact a unit of measure (angular measure). What it is not is a unit of linear measure. </div></div>

yep....

but im not trying to get technical... just saying he dosent understand how MOA works.... his turret has numbers on it for set ranges it sounds like... i know leupold offers this on some scopes.. you send in your BC and FPS etc.. of the exact round youll be shooting and they make the turret for it... but if you ask me thats retarded because thats all theoretical and can vary in reality.

bottom line... he should not be trying to shoot at 1k right now... 100 yards is where he should live until he learns more and perhaps gets fundamentals down..

on top of turret theres a set screw[allen].The scope is a nightforce bench rest 8x32x56.Explain it on a two hundred 0.Meaning after you get it set for 2 hundred yards poi,then what?say a deer is 4 hundred yards and your set at 2 hundred.explain like the 6 th grade please.Cant find any wheres to tell me.scope is 1/8th moa.rifle is a remington 700 308 milspec.shooting 175gr. smk federals match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on top of turret theres a set screw[allen].The scope is a nightforce bench rest 8x32x56.Explain it on a two hundred 0.Meaning after you get it set for 2 hundred yards poi,then what?say a deer is 4 hundred yards and your set at 2 hundred.explain like the 6 th grade please.Cant find any wheres to tell me.scope is 1/8th moa.rifle is a remington 700 308 milspec.shooting 175gr. smk federals match. </div></div>

I am getting the feeling there are a bunch of sixth graders in here........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on top of turret theres a set screw[allen].The scope is a nightforce bench rest 8x32x56.Explain it on a two hundred 0.Meaning after you get it set for 2 hundred yards poi,then what?say a deer is 4 hundred yards and your set at 2 hundred.explain like the 6 th grade please.Cant find any wheres to tell me.scope is 1/8th moa.rifle is a remington 700 308 milspec.shooting 175gr. smk federals match. </div></div>

ok steve guy with more money then brains lol... heres how it works... now that youve got the scope zero'd at 200 yards unscrew those allen bolts on top of the turrets pull the turret up and set it back down so its on 0.... do that for elevation and windage turrets.

now find out your FPS, BC, bullet weight and input that into a ballistic calculator... it will give you inches of drop at given ranges. or some calculators will give your drop in MOA for you. i sudjest you use one that does that part for you. then read that number for given ranges you want to shoot and turn the turret UP to that number.. the calculator will give you an estimation.. it might be dead nutts it might not... test every range in reality and change it if its not correct.

example... my rifle needs 5.7 mils of UP to hit at 625 yards so i turn the turret 5.7 mils UP and pull the trigger.

steve56, I recommend you do some reading up on exterior ballistics and how to use your scope, because it sounds like you don't have a clue what you're doing.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/index.cfm

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/LIBRARY/NFOwnersManual5_08_webNoWarrantyCard.pdf

If that material is too much for you to understand then you might want to seek out professional instruction, or at least get with someone who knows what they're doing and is willing to teach you.

<span style="color: #FF0000">ETA: steve56, where are you at/from?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am way past 100 posts and I don't need to sell a thing. That said.
WOW, just F'ing WOW!
</div></div> Yeah, I know...

I'm just trying to help the guy out. Ignorance is NOT bliss, education is vital, and we were all clueless rookies at one time.

well i know a little about a lot,thats the prob.I never knew anyone out side the comp. to really help me.I really appreciate it we were once clueless,asking queistions is learning,and Im really trying,because i love to shoot and know things about guns and reloading ect.I know some questions are kinda dumb but Im trying to get the point across.Thanks to all who answers and try to help me.