• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need help finding custom 700 shop

HadManySons

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
Jacksonville, Ar
I'm looking for this one custom shop that takes Rem 700 SPS Tacticals, new out of the box, does some work to them and sells them for ~$800. I can't for the life of my remember their name and i'm about ready to buy. I remember their page saying something about "the rifle is already accurate, but we make it better" yada yada. My google-fu has failed me and none of my co-workers know what the heck i'm talking about. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Need help finding custom 700 shop

Don't throw your money away like that. I can tell you from experiance no one worth anything takes a Remington and does much for a couple hundred bucks. Talk to any good rifle smith, key word being good, and they will all say the same. If your budget doesn't allow it, then buy the sps, mount a quality scope, and shoot it till you wear it out. You won't lose anything and can later be used for a custom build. You might get lucky and gEt one that shoots well out of the box. If you need further info send a PM . Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't throw your money away like that. I can tell you from experiance no one worth anything takes a Remington and does much for a couple hundred bucks. Talk to any good rifle smith, key word being good, and they will all say the same. If your budget doesn't allow it, then buy the sps, mount a quality scope, and shoot it till you wear it out. You won't lose anything and can later be used for a custom build. You might get lucky and gEt one that shoots well out of the box. If you need further info send a PM . Good luck </div></div>

Bold statement for a new guy.

There are more then a few good rifle builders on here that can do just what the OP is requesting within limits.

Maybe before you run off at the mouth and give the impression of prostituting yourself to the OP by suggesting the only guy he should talk to is you, maybe you should step back and read a little bit more instead of shoving your foot in your mouth and giving the impression that all the other builders on here don’t know what they are doing.

All from someone who has less then 40 posts.

Edited to say, it looks like this has been suggested to you before since 99% of your posts are in the gunsmith section and you continue to push yourself onto other. Either you are dense and don't get it, or you just don't care, only time will tell.

To the OP, sorry for crapping in your thread. If you have questions you might contact several builder on here for some different input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't throw your money away like that. I can tell you from experiance no one worth anything takes a Remington and does much for a couple hundred bucks. Talk to any good rifle smith, key word being good, and they will all say the same. If your budget doesn't allow it, then buy the sps, mount a quality scope, and shoot it till you wear it out. You won't lose anything and can later be used for a custom build. You might get lucky and gEt one that shoots well out of the box. If you need further info send a PM . Good luck </div></div>

Bold statement for a new guy.

There are more then a few good rifle builders on here that can do just what the OP is requesting within limits.

Maybe before you run off at the mouth and give the impression of prostituting yourself to the OP by suggesting the only guy he should talk to is you, maybe you should step back and read a little bit more instead of shoving your foot in your mouth and giving the impression that all the other builders on here don’t know what they are doing.

All from someone who has less then 40 posts.
</div></div>
LOL ,geezz R&D give the poor guy a break,afterall he only joined this month.let him stick his foot in his mouth some more before someone helps him pull it back out.

WOW! Well this is awkward! Anyway, yes it was Underground Skunk Works. I thought it was Skunk something and I typed "700 SPS Tactical Skunk" into Google and she failed me! Thank you very much, that was gonna bother me for a while. And you gentlemen have fun figuring out your differences
whistle.gif

alot of it is in the deliver isn't it
smile.gif
....personally I would not spend $800 on an SPS either....but who cares its not my rifle. Fact is especially in this economy a guy could get some decent work for $300 or so. Trued action, target crown, tactical bolt knob, rebarreling etc etc. Plus lets not forget alot of people don't like to bed or paint their own stocks and rifles so a good gunsmith has many upgrades they can offer without having to spend $1000 or more and for some people a new stock or paint job or installing an aftermarket trigger or smoothing up the factory unit is something they want a smith to do. Each to their own.

Being as I heeded the advice from a few here on this forum I purchased an SPS Tactical .308/ did an LTR take off stock/ used ss10x42m/XTR Rings and 2 piece base.

Now I will shoot the %^$* out of it and when the time is right... rip it apart and upgrade. Money saved now, for me is better used on ammo and getting started on reloading.

FWIW!

The best money you can spend on any 308 PSS, SPS, VLS, or VS is bedding and a new crown. When coupled with quality handloads it becomes some of the best money you could have spent. For this service, Some where in the $300 to $350 range will get you through most smiths, shipping included.

I got started by buying factory 700vs putting good glass on it and then making only need changes to start with on my personal rifles. I found that for my first years my Factory barrel after being properly bedded, new crown cut and some work on the factory trigger would out shot me with my hand loads. I am just hoping I am not going to get kicked to hard in the balls for this post

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenco Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got started by buying factory 700vs putting good glass on it and then making only need changes to start with on my personal rifles. I found that for my first years my Factory barrel after being properly bedded, new crown cut and some work on the factory trigger would out shot me with my hand loads. <span style="font-weight: bold">I am just hoping I am not going to get kicked to hard in the balls for this post</span> </div></div>

Why would you? That's my point, you took a factory rifle and did what you felt was good enough for you to fit your needs, I've done the same damn thing and was very happy, and I build tactical rifles. I've seen some outstanding shooters take a factory bone stock rifle and absolutely kick the shit out of a whole bunch of guys shooting "custom" rifles, so it isn’t always the rifle or how much money you have sunk into it.

More times then not this is exactly what I tell a new shooter to do before jumping in to the unknown with both feet. Sucks to spend $3000 + (minus optics) to find out you really don't like it. Taking a $500 rifle and putting $350 to $500 into it will get someone a kick ass rifle for little investment.

There are other builders that will do even more depending on what the customer wants and what the customers short and long term intentions are for said rifle. Depending on those intentions some things are not worth doing if other things are going to be done very soon.

That being said there are builders here and elsewhere that have had long term experience and success with "truing" up a factory rifle that were shooting very well, and have said rifle shoot even better and more consistently for a very long time.

For someone to imply that every other builder, other then themselves, doesn’t know what they are doing or talking about pisses me off, especially when they haven't been here long and continue to push themselves onto others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenco Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got started by buying factory 700vs putting good glass on it and then making only need changes to start with on my personal rifles. I found that for my first years my Factory barrel after being properly bedded, new crown cut and some work on the factory trigger would out shot me with my hand loads. <span style="font-weight: bold">I am just hoping I am not going to get kicked to hard in the balls for this post</span> </div></div>

Why would you? That's my point, you took a factory rifle and did what you felt was good enough for you to fit your needs, I've done the same damn thing and was very happy, and I build tactical rifles. I've seen some outstanding shooters take a factory bone stock rifle and absolutely kick the shit out of a whole bunch of guys shooting "custom" rifles, so it isn’t always the rifle or how much money you have sunk into it.

More times then not this is exactly what I tell a new shooter to do before jumping in to the unknown with both feet. Sucks to spend $3000 + (minus optics) to find out you really don't like it. Taking a $500 rifle and putting $350 to $500 into it will get someone a kick ass rifle for little investment.

There are other builders that will do even more depending on what the customer wants and what the customers short and long term intentions are for said rifle. Depending on those intentions some things are not worth doing if other things are going to be done very soon.

That being said there are builders here and elsewhere that have had long term experience and success with "truing" up a factory rifle that were shooting very well, and have said rifle shoot even better and more consistently for a very long time.

For someone to imply that every other builder, other then themselves, doesn’t know what they are doing or talking about pisses me off, especially when they haven't been here long and continue to push themselves onto others.
</div></div>

The only other thing that would/may need doing is to adjust the trigger to about 3# or so.

Bro
Buy a gently used rifle from sale section here

Send it to Randy (HateCA)

You will have nice rifle for min $$

Randy is a fine gunsmith and will make a good stick for ya