Need help finding muzzle break

minnpatriot

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
USA
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD and it has a threaded muzzle. I am trying to find a good muzzle break for the gun, it has a 5/8-24 Threaded Muzzle. Any ideas on where to find a good one is appreciated.

Re: Need help finding muzzle break

Well...some questions for you:

1) what are your plans for the rifle in terms of how you'll be using it (range use, comps, hunting, etc.)? Or...asked another way...what specifically do you want out of any given muzzle device? It may seem silly to ask, but not all brakes were created equal and some that are great for range use will result in serious hearing impairment if used for hunting or conditions where you are shooting without proper ear pro!
wink.gif

2) are you planning on mounting a suppressor at some point in time? If so, are you getting a thread-mount or a QD-mount suppressor? If you are going QD, go ahead and buy the brake that works with the suppressor you will be buying so you don't have to spend more money/time down the line swapping out a brake you can't use. If you are not planning on a QD suppressor or any suppressor at all, then you can go with whatever brake best answers the question above.

3) finally...do you really want a brake/FH or do you just want a good thread protector?

Rifle comes with a thread protector already on it, I want the muzzle break for range use. I doubt I will use the gun for hunting but if I ever do I might remove it. I never shoot without hearing protection even when I hunt. I would like to do comps with it but I am new to the game of long range shooting and unless they have a stock or amateur class I will get nowhere in the comps.

This is a video of the same kind of rifle I purchased. Although mine is stock rifle no can, glass or after market stock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7y2MWRu2k

With your response above...the field is more or less WIDE open as to options. The Vais brakes are highly effective, but suck if you are shooting prone and don't have something under the muzzle of your rifle to keep the 360 degree ports from kicking up dust/dirt/debris. That said, they tame recoil like nobody's business and are "less" noisy than some others on the market.

Also, I like the JP Bennie Cooley brakes and the PRI/MSTN Quiet Control Brakes...both are available in 5/8x24 threads. You see these primarily used on .308 cal ARs, but they work well on bolt guns too.

Check with the manufacturers for more information, or MidwayUSA. If you find one you like, Midway sells them all. You can see what their prices are (don't forget any applicable discount codes) and you can price-shop from there.