• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need help picking softer shooting, long range cal.

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    I have shot .308 over the past fews years off and on. Not much long range other than a few 300-400 yard targets. I'm by no means a competition shooter or expert marksman but I hold my own.

I'm looking to find a caliber that will shoot softer than a .308 in a 22'' barrel and still be able to shoot up to 1000 yards WITH factory ammo. My fiance and I will share the gun while she learns to shoot, but I figured this is a good reason to build a new gun when it comes time. It would be nice to build one gun to kind of do all this.

I have thought about .260 but lack of factory ammo is a pain cause I don't reload. 6.5C is an option but concerned of lack of velocity with a 22'' barrel. Thought about 6.5x47 Lapua but again, worried about lack of velocity to get to 800 or 900 yards. Let me know what you think I should do.

Re: Need help picking softer shooting, long range cal.

Any of the above. I wouldn't worry much about lack of velocity, especially if you are shooting to 8-900 yards.

Black Hills has good .260 match ammo.

Lapua factory 6.5x47 ammo is good but close to $3 a round.

6.5cm I don't know much about what is available for factory ammo so I won't comment on it..

i would vote 6.5x47 lapua, but ammo is spendy. i shoot a 25" barrel and have no problems at 1000yds. don't think you're going to lose a ton at 22"

that caliber is a blast to shoot.

Factory ammo to 1k and soft shooting would make me look at a 223 honestly.

For factory ammo in 260 you're going to pay a bunch more than you will for the same in 308, the 223 is so prevalent that the costs are much lower.

Recoil is actually nil, the ammo is affordable in factory trim, you can get many different flavors of it, and the round will make it to 1k.

6.5x47 is a great little round. You will get to 1000yards and beyond easy with little recoil. However I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't reload. If you are going to buy factory ammo, the then creedmoor gets the nod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory ammo to 1k and soft shooting would make me look at a 223 honestly.

For factory ammo in 260 you're going to pay a bunch more than you will for the same in 308, the 223 is so prevalent that the costs are much lower.

Recoil is actually nil, the ammo is affordable in factory trim, you can get many different flavors of it, and the round will make it to 1k.

</div></div>
    He nailed it.
    As long as you can find a load with a decent BC you are fine.
    This isn't as sexy as some calibers, but it sure will make other people at the line crap their pants.
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php
    Turns out you can find ammo too, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper then the others listed.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=819452

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=453654

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=392200

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=844748

I would still suggest learning to reload. Only way you can get everything out of the gun, and that doesn't bring in the expense or personal satisfaction arguments.

I want to throw straight 243Win into the mix but I don't know if factory ammo suitable for up to 1000 yards is even available. I have been reloading from day one & I can honestly say I have never fired a factory rifle load in my entire life. Only shotgun shells & that's been a few years as I sold off both of my shotguns to make more room in the safes for the good stuff.

if factory ammo is a concern your only 2 realistic options are 223 and 6.5 creedmoor.

223 is half the price and recoil is a non issue, really good barrel life

6.5 good factory ammo and way less wind drift, more recoil, less than half the barrel life of the 223

both are good choices, but if you are only going to 400yds most the time get the 223, shoot the 77gr blackhills and it will make it to 1000yds just fine. you will have to read the wind really well but it will do it.

Listen to bohem, he speaks the truth. At least for me, the cost of factory ammo to feed some of the more exotic options would make them cost-prohibitive since you're not going to reload. I'd hate to see you buy a rifle, then never shoot it because the ammo was so expensive (unless I was going to buy the rifle from you).

That's the main reason I don't have something like a .338 LM or .50, even if I could come up with the money to buy the rifle & scope, I couldn't afford to do any more than admire the rifle in the safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No brainer to me.6.5 Creedmoor even in a 22" will be fine.You'll have the BC but you'll have to add a few more clicks on the scope for the longer distances. </div></div>

+1
    # 81494 HORNADY shoots dang good.

I just <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be a bit biased, but you could always look at it from the other way - keep the .308, make the rifle more comfortable to shoot. If you've got a 700 in a synthetic SPS stock, it's going to kick. Put it into an AICS or some other similarly weighty stock, and the recoil is going to be significantly reduced. Do that and then add a muzzle brake, and you might as well be shooting a .22LR. You still have a zillion factory loads available, there's no kick to worry about, and you can use it for hunting, 1000 yard shooting, or just cheap plinking. If you're not going to reload, .308 makes the most sense by far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot .308 over the past fews years off and on. Not much long range other than a few 300-400 yard targets. I'm by no means a competition shooter or expert marksman but I hold my own.

I'm looking to find a caliber that will shoot softer than a .308 in a 22'' barrel and still be able to shoot up to 1000 yards WITH factory ammo. My fiance and I will share the gun while she learns to shoot, but I figured this is a good reason to build a new gun when it comes time. It would be nice to build one gun to kind of do all this.

I have thought about .260 but lack of factory ammo is a pain cause I don't reload. 6.5C is an option but concerned of lack of velocity with a 22'' barrel. Thought about 6.5x47 Lapua but again, worried about lack of velocity to get to 800 or 900 yards. Let me know what you think I should do. </div></div>

I put a pretty sweet 6.5 barrel up in the sale section
    wink.gif

I personally don't think the 308Win has really any recoil to worry about in the first place, and thats out of a sporter rifle. Some of these heavier rigs seem to take a considerable amount of that allready kinda low recoil out of the equation. Add a good quality muzzle break (or if you can, a suppressor would make shooting much more fun for the wife due to low noise and reduced recoil) and that baby will feel like a 223 and be capable of taking a deer out should you ever decide to. The cartridge really does make the most sense to me personally. Its very well capable of reaching 1K with a 22" barrel and has plenty of very good factory ammo available.

Hope this helps,
    Dylan

Recoil on a .308 does not bother me but trying to do all of this in one package. If I justify needing a softer shooting round for her to shoot than I get the nod on a build. If I'm gonna have a gun built I would like to build something that if I desire to later I can shoot at 800,900, or 1,000 yards.

Thanks for the help. I will probably go with a 6.5C or the .260

I have heard good stuff from the 6.5C as far as the factory Hornady stuff goes so that might be my best option.

Just quick question, but what do you think of a 6.5 Grendal?
    Do they offer that caliber in a custom bolt gun? Was just wondering cause I've always seen it on the AR platform. Looking at it I wouldn't think its a 1,000 cartridge but I don't know much about it either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil on a .308 does not bother me but trying to do all of this in one package. If I justify needing a softer shooting round for her to shoot than I get the nod on a build. If I'm gonna have a gun built I would like to build something that if I desire to later I can shoot at 800,900, or 1,000 yards.

Thanks for the help. I will probably go with a 6.5C or the .260

I have heard good stuff from the 6.5C as far as the factory Hornady stuff goes so that might be my best option.

Just quick question, but what do you think of a 6.5 Grendal?
    Do they offer that caliber in a custom bolt gun? Was just wondering cause I've always seen it on the AR platform. Looking at it I wouldn't think its a 1,000 cartridge but I don't know much about it either. </div></div>

Disregard, I searched the Grendal. Its something to think about but I think ammo is still pricey.

That's the main reason I don't have something like a .338 LM or .50, even if I could come up with the money to buy the rifle & scope, I couldn't afford to do any more than admire the rifle in the safe.[/quote]

+1
    I can't agree more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am surprised no one has not pointed out a simple solution to the recoil....add a effective muzzle brake to your .308. No more recoil.

Take care,Stan </div></div>
    Or add more weight to the gun. My 308 weighs in at like 11 pounds. Recoil is a non-issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be a bit biased, but you could always look at it from the other way - keep the .308, make the rifle more comfortable to shoot. If you've got a 700 in a synthetic SPS stock, it's going to kick. Put it into an AICS or some other similarly weighty stock, and the recoil is going to be significantly reduced. Do that and then add a muzzle brake, and you might as well be shooting a .22LR. You still have a zillion factory loads available, there's no kick to worry about, and you can use it for hunting, 1000 yard shooting, or just cheap plinking. If you're not going to reload, .308 makes the most sense by far. </div></div>

I like this idea. Put a brake on the rifle! Then you could buy ammo from SWAmmo here on the hide. $1 for 175grain match ammo that's been tested and highly recommended by lots of folks here. That will be much cheaper than buying 6.5 CM ammo.

One thing I could caution, and this is from reading on here and not personal experience yet, the brake is going to be loud as all get out. It might not be a good thing if your significant other is sensitive to that kinda thing.

I think you'd save a boat load of $$ adding a brake to the .308. You could use all that extra cash for a class or ammo or even to buy a .22lr!

I know your laws are different over in the US, how about a suppressor or a mod as we call them in the U.K.

Way better than a muzzle brake and if you were considering a second rifle just invest this $ in the can.

I voted suppressor/moderator as well, maybe his state laws wont allow it, or he doesn't want to wait for the paperwork to be processed, etc, etc...

Re: Need help picking softer shooting, long range

+1 on the supressor. My wife shoots mine and recoil is not an issue. Most guys overlook the long range benefits of using one (reduced recoil, reduce muzzle hop, not having to use hearing protection,and women seem to shoot better with one) Especially with a heavier mcmillan stock. Once you have started using one you will want one on all your rifles.

Seems like you want to do a lot of different things with this rig..

I am a big fan of the 6mm family - and will most likely build my next rifle around the 6.5CM however i must give one more recommendation... it will not stretch out to 1000 but from what you say you shoot (inside 500 more often than not) I would recommend the .22-250

But like others have said - no reason not to brake your .308 and call it good. Up to you man.

+2 on the suppressor. I'm a recoil wuss and I have no problem putting 100 rounds in a session through my suppressed .308, and I'm launching 178-gr A-Maxes at just shy of 2800 fps. Plus it makes you a much more considerate neighbor.

Agree with a lot of the above. A muzzle brake or suppressor will work real well with the .308. I was able to spot my own shots many times Varminting by myself with my .308 and a good Brake. Just be sure to wear earplugs : )

Good Luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brake on the 308, my choice. </div></div>
    +1

All the ammo dealers around our house (not many either) have a good selection of .260 Remmy so called match grade ammo. I've never shot any though mine as I've no need to because I reload. They are the Remington Premier accutip. I did not get the results on deer as I wished with the 142 SMK so I bought 10 boxes for 200 dollars of this stuff and will see what it will do accuracy wise and might try it on the deer. Bought some SGK 140 gn too if I want to hand load. What I'm saying is, the .260 is making its way up in the factory ammo scene. I have a 6.5x47L as well but if you don't handload I would no even think about it, but thats just me. I would look into the .223, .243, and .260 IF you get another rifle. But I would spice up the .308 if it happen to be a capable rifle ( I didn't see what kind of rig it was). Good luck.