Cmelde01

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2024
Texas
I need some opinions on a new scope.
  • What is the platform for the scope? Remington Sendero SF-II
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300WM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting and occasional target and steel plinking
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight and Low light
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 0-600yrds and maybe out to 1000 on occasion
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, 50mm objective, relatively light, MRAD
  • What is the price range you can afford? $1600 or less

So I’ve been doing a lot of research lately and I’m relatively new with bolts guns in general. I’ve looked at the vortex razor 4.5-27 and unfortunately I think it may be on the heavy side putting my rifle at roughly 11.5lbs… so started searching again and was looking at the Leupold mk5 good on the weight but kinda of expensive if you want illuminated reticle. Next up was Nightforce Nx8 2.5-20x50 with the MILXT reticle. I got to hold both a Mk5 5-25 and a NX8 2.5-20 scopes by themselves. Right off the bat I noticed that eye box on the NX8 seemed to be a little bit more difficult as in you had to put your eye just in the right spot compared to the the Mk5. ( Would this be better/ easier to deal with once mounted to a rifle?) That being said I’ve seen post talk about the eye box some people it doesn’t bother others it does. Not sure if this was an early model or not it was in a MoA reticle. Im curious on y’all’s opinions between these two optics or other options. Id like to know more about the NX8 eyebox from people with some time behind the 2.5-20. I’ve heard that the eyebox is better on the 4-32 would like some info on that as well, maybe I could squeeze that into my budget! TIA

Last edited:
Is there a reason you skipped over the Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 while doing your research? It's a pretty well rounded design and within your budget. It's lighter than the Mk5 and NX8 too.

Eotech Vudu 5-25x50 is another I would consider. Depending on sales or discounts you might qualify for it can go for about your max budget. Otherwise it's outside of it by about $150. (Amazon has the simpler MD3 reticle for $85 over budget.) Being so short, you may need high rings to clear your actions rail to get proper eye relief.

According to your criteria, Vortex just dropped the perfect scope... Mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't gotten to take it outside and look through it yet. So far, it is ridiculously clear inside the house, and depth of field on it seems REALLY good. I'm actually really impressed with it so far, and I can't wait until I get a chance to take it outside and give it real thorough overlook in different real world shadows and environments, but if it's as good outside as it appears to be inside, I think this one might be a winner for the price... The new upgraded tool-less and locking turrets with the RevStop are really nice, too. Not to mention it's stupid lightweight.

IMG_7770.jpeg
IMG_7775.jpeg
IMG_7772.jpeg
IMG_7774.jpeg
IMG_7771.jpeg

According to your criteria, Vortex just dropped the perfect scope... Mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't gotten to take it outside and look through it yet. So far, it is ridiculously clear inside the house, and depth of field on it seems REALLY good. I'm actually really impressed with it so far, and I can't wait until I get a chance to take it outside and give it real thorough overlook in different real world shadows and environments, but if it's as good outside as it appears to be inside, I think this one might be a winner for the price... The new upgraded tool-less and locking turrets with the RevStop are really nice, too. Not to mention it's stupid lightweight.

View attachment 8439900View attachment 8439901View attachment 8439902View attachment 8439903View attachment 8439904
Sounds like we need a head to head review vs the razor lht 4.5-22. Both scopes are 25 ounces and below.

Reactions: FuhQ
Do you have any mil/leo discounts available to you? If you did, some of the Leupold options outside the intended budget may be considered. Also, how good are your eyes? I ask because I'm at the age where a hunting scope and a target scope are COMPLETELY different these days. If your eyes are good, you might be able to get away with some distance shooting with a scope that has traditional hunting optic mag ranges. A lot of hunters dont enjoy target optics that have the lowest power setting too high for their needs, so that will have to be a planning consideration.

Also, exactly how accessible is this 1000yd range you say you're going to shoot at? A lot of people voice a desire to do something, then when you ask them to for instance, drive 3 hours to the range, they're like "yea, I'm good" (me lol) So make sure you're honest with yourself on the frequencies of those 1000 yard range trips.

Last statement; MOST people, not all but most cannot determine eyebox forgiveness with the scope in the hand. For some, its an absolute impossibility. For most, it should be mounted on at least a sample stock. Though, different people in different disciplines look at eyebox forgiveness differently. Example, an extremely unforgiving eyebox wont hold a benchrest shooter back as far as it would a pure hunter that walked/stalked (as opposed to say a tree stand or blind hunter where they may have something to rest the rifle on) and needed a quick shouldering rig. If you choose an eyebox when you're prone behind a rifle, then think you could quickly shoulder this thing while humping the weeds, it may prove to not work as well.

All that considered, if you wanted to save some money, a pre owned PST gen 2 might serve you pretty well. Depends on what you're shooting at a thousand yards. If you're banging 600" steel gongs, the 3-15x44 may work, if you're shooting something smaller or want better resolution, the 5-25 may be your pick. I have the 3-15 and I'm completely happy with it (except the mag, because of my eyes)

Reactions: FRESHPRINCE556
Vortex viper pst, vortex razor hd gen 1, or the vortex razor LH. You won’t be disappointed at all. I’d recommend the razor gen 2 but a lot of guys don’t like carrying that much weight around.

If you are using it for hunting it is likely you will hate how tiny the reticle on a FFP scope becomes on low power (where the majority of your hunting takes place unless you live out West and regularly take shots at 400yds+). Personally I detest it. I want a wide field of view and usable reticle on 3X or 4X. Dialing at longer ranges is only slightly different. They're calibrated at max power, so if you have a 24X scope there's no maths for dope @12X other than cut the number you dial on your turret in half. For really long shots at max power it's the exact same.

All my scopes on hunting rifles are SFP, and you can get a hell of a lot more scope. The NF SHV line is what I have on both med and big game rifles, and they are even more affordable than some of your choices. If I was going to use a FFP scope for hunting I would want a LPVO. If you absolutely insist on a FFP for hunting getting an illuminated reticle is absolutely critical. Adding that contrast will allow you to pick up the spec of your aim point.

The fact is that a "do-it-all" rifle isn't going to do anything really well at all. Build or buy one for hunting, and then if you want to get into target shooting build one for that.

We spend tons of money on optics in competition because we need to spot our own misses. You will not be able to see shit after the shot breaks with the recoil from shooting .300WM (especially on a lighter weight hunting rifle). It's not necessary to spend big bucks for Tier 1 glass.

This is probably not what you are going to be told by the majority of people on this board, but I hunt with guys who shoot competitively, and I know of no one who shoots their comp sticks at ungulates.

Can you use a screwdriver as a prybar? Yes. Is it ideal? No.

Reactions: Ty21