• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Need pistol sight pusher advice...

Spanky4888

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
TX, USA
I have a few pistols I want to put night sights on and am looking for advice on how I should procedd with this. I have seen a general sight pushing tool from Brownells that looks like it holds the slide in place and has a screw adjustment for drifting the sight out. I have also seen where some people use a nylon punch and a hammer. The guns I am doing are a glock 27, a 1911, and an H&K USPc 45. Anybody have some advice?

Re: Need pistol sight pusher advice...

I have one of these mounted on my workbench, got it at home creepo and it works splendidly. Just torque the slid down using some material that wont scuff it up, and use a punch to knock the sight out, done it quite a few times and is really easy. Just an alternative so you dont have to buy a unique tool you wont use again after you swap sights out. I use this vice for all sorts of gun ventures

vice.jpg

I used to do this all the time and used both tools, and punches.

If you're going to use a punch you need to be very careful on night sights. You can very easily damage the tubes and it's not warranty repair. Make sure you shape the punch correctly to fit the sight.

Make sure you have a good solid vice that is well mounted, brass, copper, nylon even wood will work. If you're careful you can use the vice to start the sight then finish with the punch.

The tools are great but more expensive than necessary unless you have a bunch of pistols to do.

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Sight-Tool-for-All-Glock-Models/productinfo/GMST/

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-glock-sight-tool-set-gl02.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=glock+sight+tool&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

First off: DO NOT CONSIDER "GLOCK" sight tool. It is plastic and barely adequate for the OEM plastic sights.

Secondly: I'm a Glock guy and I use a brass punch and hammer, and it has worked great for every Glock I've done.

Thirdly: If I was a 1911 guy or had some other fancy-shmancy pistol, I would probably not use a brass punch and hammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Secondly: I'm a Glock guy and I use a brass punch and hammer, and it has worked great for every Glock I've done.</div></div>
I've installed hundreds of sets of Glock sights and this is the method I have always used.

I have a MPW sight pusher for Glock sights but I rarely use it.
The real problem for me is that I am nearly always installing suppressor sights and these don't accommodate many of them.