• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need some help with a 9mm load

jasonstoj

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Newcastle, AUSTRALIA
Hey guys... so i need some advice! im going to be getting a Sig P226e2 in 9mm in the coming months and im going to loading my own rounds.... before anyone says it... i'm getting a 9mm because i live in Australia and i dont think i can legally own a 40S&W or a 45ACP... plus this will be my first handgun so im just gonna stick with what i know...im in love with Sigs and i just love the way the 9mm feels in the hand!!

ive been reloading .308win for a while now so im not new to realoading but i've never worked with handgun rounds before...

here's what im working with so far...

<span style="font-weight: bold">PROJECTILE:</span> the pistol club im a member of wont allow use of FMJ's and ive been told to use 125gr projectiles so if anyone can reccomend a nice 125gr jacketed hollowpoint thatd be awesome!

<span style="font-weight: bold">POWDER:</span> i'll be using ADI AP70N and the book tells me between 4.3 and 4.9gr... suggestions?

<span style="font-weight: bold">PRIMER:</span> probably Federal Champion small pistol... but it wont really make a difference what i use in a 9mm will it?

<span style="font-weight: bold">BRASS:</span> now this is something that i have NO IDEA about.... i use Lapua cases for my .308 and i love them... they withstand more abuse, last more loads and can handle more powder... is there anything like that is the pistol world??

so basically anyone have a load they love that they want to share?? lol

now, im only legally allowed to use my sidearm as a paper killer at the range... but HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING, if i was to take her hunting it'd just be for finishing game and having fun shooting at bottles
smile.gif

any help would be great!!

THANKS GUYS! YOU ALL ROCK!!!

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">SHOOT SAFE!</span></span>

Re: Need some help with a 9mm load

Hey guys....dont worry about my brass question... i finally found someone in Australia that sells Lapua 9mm brass....so im gonna stick with that unless someone REALLY thinks i shouldnt!
smile.gif

I don't know what's available in australia, but my target load for the 9mm is using 125 grain lead round nose bullets with 4.0/4.1 grains of HP-38... I'm not familiar with the powder you have mentioned...

Brass life for a pistol case is really not an issue when compared to a rifle, as the pressures are so much lower. So I can't see shelling out real money for Lapua brass, when you will probably end up losing the case (of any brand) well prior to it becoming un-reloadable or having case failure.

What can you pick up for free at the range, or does the range sell used brass? Just get a bag of that to start out with. But a lot of the military type does have crimped in primers, so you will have to sort through it. (Avoid WCC, FC NT and RG, due to the crimp)

Berry's 124 JHPs are probably the cheapest out there. Accuracy is not bad, but not "match" load if you are really target shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jet_lagged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Berry's 124 JHPs are probably the cheapest out there. Accuracy is not bad, but not "match" load if you are really target shooting.
</div></div>

That's another good one to use for sure... Cheap and they shoot more than good enough for casual shooting in my experience... And also as jet mentioned, brass life is of no matter... I crush more by not getting them lined up with the sizing die than shooting ha..

I just came across some info that might help people trying to help me with this...Chadwick122689 said he wasnt familiar with the powder i mentioned..

ADI powder is an Australian powder developed for Australian Military application and specifically formulated for optimum performance in Austalian weather conditions....BUT it was developed in partnership with HODGDON POWDER COMPANY OF THE USA

sorry i didnt mention that in the original post...i just found that one out!

smile.gif

Not that I believe or trust everything on the internet, but:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-414748.html

says AD70N is the same as Hodgdon Universal

"ADI Technical Centre
ADI / Hodgdon Propellants

ADI Powder/Hodgdon naming
AS30N.................Clays
Trail Boss.............Trial Boss
AS50N.................International
AP70N.................Universal
AR2205...............H4227
AR2207...............H4198
AR2219...............H322
BM2....................Benchmark
AR2206H.............H4895
AR2208...............Varget
AR2209...............H4350
AR2213SC...........H4831 / H4831SC
AR2217...............H1000
AR2225...............Retumbo

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

recommends 4.3-4.9 grains, which seems to match your figures.

In reality, start at the low end, and then work up. All you really need is enough energy to reliable cycle the pistol. And you can probably go over max load without a problem considering that Canadian and Brit WWII ammo was well above modern SAMMI loads, as is the current Winchester 124 NATO load. So just load what is comfortable shooting for you, if you are not really planning on using it in the heat of battle. Min loads may not reliably cycle a new weapon, until the slide rails wear in a bit.

Primers: I have seen no noticable accuracy difference between brands, so use whatever you have.

For the same amount of energy, a heavier 147gn bullet may give you a bit "softer" recoil feel, but then will drive up the per round price.

I've gotten some excellent groups with Hornady Action Pistol bullets from my Sig 226 9mm, and they have no exposed lead.

I've used primers from just about every manufacturer with satisfactory results.

I use lots of military brass, because I can buy it once-fired and prepped (polished, deprimed, primer crimp removed, etc.) very reasonably and it stands up to as many reloads as you can throw at it.

As to propellents, I use ball powders for most of my 9mm loading because it meters more uniformly on my progressive press. I have gotten great groups with flake type powders as well though, and my 226 is one of the least finicky pistols I've ever loaded for.

One helpful hint; even if you are using carbide dies, a little dab of case lube on every tenth case will make resizing a lot more pleasant. 9mm cases are slightly tapered and try to "wedge" in the die a little bit, but an occasional lubed case will provide enough slickum to help keep handle pressure light.

Thanks Noah....i am using carbide dies so that is a helpful hint!i'll look into the Hornady's and see if they're available around here!

as far as the charge i think ive found my load...
using ADI AP70N (Which apparently is HODGDON UNIVERSAL) 4.8gr gives me 1105ft/s using a 125gr JHP and 29980cup pressure...

i got that just from comparing what other people here have told me they use seems like with that load i can get more velocity with less pressure (compared to the other guys loads)

BUT...thats just on paper... no way of knowing until i load 'em up and go to the range!

Thanks again...you guys rock!
smile.gif

Not to sure how you will go getting the specific model Sig your after.
Sig selection here is quite limited and they are not cheap $1600 starting pretty much for basic versions.

See here for some sigs;
http://www.hermannsguns.com/index.php?op...4&Itemid=71

As for a load 4.0 or 4.1 of Ap70 is a very common load here using 125gr projectiles as it gives around a 130 power factor. I use it in all my 9mms, works very well and is accurate.
Load to 1.13 and you should be good to go. 9mm also needs very little crimp, your basically just removing the case mouth bell.

p.s I shoot at Newtec, near Teralba if your out they way on a sat and want to try some 9mm's or need advice let me know.

thanks Morgo.... id love to come down and see what youre running! i'll send you a private message to check if youll be there if i get the chance to pop in one weekend!!

ive already ordered in the pistol... these Americans are gonna fall off their seats... but it's gonna cost me $2395... i had to order it with the threaded barrell so it sits on the 5" barrell requirement.... thanks for the website though.... interesting to see the prices

No worries mate I usually get there most saturdays around lunch time. have plenty of toys if you want to try something out.

Thats quite steep for a Sig, the cost of importing unfortunately I assume, though you could have gotten an X5 competition for another $100. Still each to their own
smile.gif

Load data for ADI powders is not great, especially from the ADI book.

Yes 4.0 or 4.1 is right, do not start at 4.8 if anything start at 3.8 and work upto 4.1

Around the 4.0/4.1 grain mark gives a 130pf which is the min required amount to make minor pf for IPSC which is what makes this load so popular.

My wife shoots 124gr round nose copper wash lead bullet with 4.1 grains of Winchester Super Field ,if you can find it, its a really great plinking load , her P-01 piles them hulls up in one little spot on the ground. Good practice ammo, easy on the pistoly.:-D