• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need some opinions.

WarWolf

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
I am going to buy a sps varmint in 308 when I get my taxes back and want to upgrade at the same time. I really like the look of the XCR rifles, but not the price tag. So far I want to buy the Bell and Carlson Tactical medalist, and will go with a egr rail and a millet 4-16x50 TRS. I have also looked at the falcon menace, but would also like a 50m objective. I would also like to get a DBM in a few months and was gonna order the stock pre-inletted from B&C. Which DBM would be the best bang for the buck? I also want to get a raised cheek piece on the stock, but am not sure what to look for. I would like to get one that is a part of a stock pack.

If you have any suggestions or comments feel free. The only thing I am absolutely set on is the Remington sps in 308. Other than that I need some opinions on how to get some good accuracy out of this rifle. I do have a budget of around 1000-1200 and want to stick to that. I will however want to upgrade other things to complete my rifle before October hunting season.

I had to sell my other rifle earlier in the year. It was a kimber advanced tactical in 300wm. I hunted with it for two years, and decided to downgrade because I needed the money for bills, but this is my first foray into precision shooting. I would like to join some local matched in my area during the summer.

Re: Need some opinions.

The SPS varmint is an excellent starting point.
I believe the stock they use on the XCR is the B&C light tactical, but I haven't checked in a while.
It is an excellent stock, as is the M40 style they sell.
I had a Millet TRS, I was quite pleased with it, the glass was clear, the adjustments good. However, when running the adjustments to the upper reaches, the turrets would cant over noticeably.

I also have a Falcon Menace 4-14. While it lacks illumination and locking turrets (which I liked), it offers superior reticles, FFP and a huge adjustment range.

Of the two, and having owned both, I recommend the Falcon.
You will probably need to lube the orings in the turret caps, just remove them and spray them with silicone lube the first time you reset them to zero.

EGW makes a good base, get the 20MOA. I am a big fan of the Weaver extended multi-slot rail. Very well made for around 39 bucks.

You WILL need to bed any rail you buy. Do a search on you tube. Lonewolf made an excellent instructional video on the subject.

Add a set of Burris XTR rings and you are pretty well set.

I have had very good luck shooting the American Eagle 168 grain OTM load (NOT the 150 grain load).

You will not want to order a stock with the inlet already cut, you won't be able to run your rifle till you get the DBM.

Run the BDL floorplate for now.
When you are ready to upgrade look at the PT&G and CDI offerings. Jeff at CDI will inlet for his bottom metal at a very reasonable price with a quick turn around.

our tactical rifles tend to be a money pit...just part of the game.

one thing I wouldn't go cheap on is the stock. The B&C is inexpensive and has the quality to show...just seems weak in my opinion. That said, for a couple hundred bucks, it's hard to beat but you may be able to do better with maybe a used stock.

I'd seriously consider, keeping the factory stock and saving for a Manors, McMillan or a number of other stocks that are available. Spend 6 moths saving and see what you can come up with...you'll be glad you did.

Don't get me wrong on B&C- they're great for the price...just seem less solid than others that are available. I got one for my PSS/Police 700- ended up back on the factory stock- B&C couldn't even come close. But if I had a cheap wood stock or hollow plastic stock...I'd have been happy with it. But to me, it was no comparison to the HS precision stock

as to bottom metal, I'm trying to figure out what I want. I'm inclined to go with PTG is hard to beat for the price and quality. CDI is another one to consider.

If you want a raised cheek piece, consider one that is par of the stock (the one where you cut the stock and install hardware)...the wrap over is just cheap.

One thing you can do is to simply take an old mouse pad and duck tape it to the stock...looks poor but works great. I was going to go with a custom installed cheek piece but after my mouse pad n duck tape, I scratched the idea. ((but I'm not interested in impressing someone at a fashion show- I'm about function)

Thanks for the responses guys! On the budget precision build that lonewolf did, I saw that he cut pillars to make the factory bottom metal fit the inletted stock. I know it isn't the best way to run a stock, but it will allow me to save up for the PTG bottom metal or another. PTG is hard to beat with the price at 130. I did have the mcmillan A5 on my kimber, but I didn't really care for it compared to my fathers HS. He also has a 223 with the B&C stock on it and it is too "blocky". However the tactical medalist stock seems to be more rounded. I am not sure what the j hook is for (sandbags?) but looks pretty cool on OD and speckled black.

My goal is to shoot 1000 yards. I do plan to reload, but am going to buy the rifle first. Does the falcon or TRS have any advantages in that? I did learn how to range with mils a year ago and ffp would be nice, but I like the magnification.

Thanks nuttshooter, that was a review I was looking for. It seems to be a hit or miss on quality, but it does have a warranty from Bushnell. There is a place thy sells falcons in my town, so I might stop in and handle one before I make my choice.

So I had to wait for two weeks, but my local Cabela's finally got my .308 SPS varmint in. I only paid 549 for it, and seems to be a nice start to a precision rifle. I also ordered a Falcon menace 5-25x50 mil/mil with the bl20 reticle from SWFA, with SFWA STD rings, and a 20moa weaver base on a recommendation over the EGR from Lonewolf. My stock is currently on backorder from Stocky's and not sure when it is set to come in, I got the B&C tactical medalist after handling one at a gun shop. Seems to be on par with the HS precision stocks and the olive with black webbing looks pretty sweet. Now I need to find some ammo.... pretty much every shop around me is out of 308 ammo except for 155gr fusion. I would prefer some 168-175 GMM or remington premiers. I just might invest in a lee reloading kit.... pending what the wife spends on couches, haha. Gotta love income tax season!

WarWolf
Sounds like you are on your way, you will have fun with your SPS.
I have the PTG DBM on a 700 PSS .308 and it works, no issues.
I was considering Badger, as it is a proven product and I do not like to cut corners on my rifles (buy once, cry once) but the PTG does the job well and the price is right. I have Badger 35 MOA scope base, NF rings and scope (5-22x50, zero stop, NPR1 ret.). The pillar bedded HS precision stock is GTG and the rifle has a 40X trigger.
No thrills but good rifle, long throat.
The temporary ammo issue is real and it is getting hard to find the good ones.
Even if you start reloading, you will see that match primers and good powder are not available in most (if not all) of the stores in the country. I use GM210M and Varget in my PSS and for now, they are both MIA just about everywhere; even finding bullets requires scouting around.
Here in Vegas, we had a Gun Show this weekend, hours of waiting to get in, for ridiculously overpriced ammo. To give you a good idea of the situation, a friend of mine (just a regular guy with good ammo stock) sold several thousand of ammo (5.56) to the Sheriff of a local Police Department, as they were running short of 556 and were having a hard time finding some.
How do you like that, even our Law Enforcement forces have ammo issues, that's ridiculous.
Anyway, if we all stand together, this situation will get better and eventually will get back to normal.
Damn that was a long post, better stop now, got some reloading to do.
Enjoy your rifle and good shooting.
Ombre noire

I want to start reloading but I priced everything at around 300 to start. Which includes the reloading kit, brass, primers, dies, and anything else needed. It is a little too pricey at this point, since I just dropped 1400 on a rifle. I found some 165 nosler customs at the local cabelas, but they want 40 a box. So at this point I am just gonna wait until I could get some HSM or GMM online.

Yes, the purchase of reloading equipment is another expense but it is worth it in a long run, especially at $40 for a box of 20. I did bite the bullet, made the jump a while ago and couldn't be happier, especially with today's ammo situation. Start saving few $$ here and there, you may be able to find some good, used, reloading equipment. Make sure you also get a good reloading manual, there are several out there. I have heard of beginners whom are not even weighing their powder, this is nuts and it is an accident waiting to happen.
For now, start saving your brass every time you go to the range, that's the first step in the right direction.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

I have been saving brass for all my rifles for 8 or more years. Mostly all from hornady or remington. A reloading kit is my next purchase, and am considering going half with my dad. I did take a local class on reloading a few months ago, and it was very informative, and showed how easy it really is to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WarWolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to start reloading but I priced everything at around 300 to start. Which includes the reloading kit, brass, primers, dies, and anything else needed. It is a little too pricey at this point, since I just dropped 1400 on a rifle. I found some 165 nosler customs at the local cabelas, but they want 40 a box. So at this point I am just gonna wait until I could get some HSM or GMM online. </div></div>

I was wondering what kind of reloading equipment you were looking at buying and where you priced it out at. That doesn't seem like a bad price to get into reloading to me.

8+ years of saving brass! I guess you gonna be just fine on brass. Not that basic reloading is complicated but it can get pretty complex when you start to get the accuracy bug. You can actually get very anal, as years go by.
It doesn't have to be this way, as great accuracy can be achieve without becoming too complicated but it is kinda cool to try new stuff from time to time, once you developed a good load.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire