• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors New 1911

Re: New 1911

For shit sakes, I have found some different brands that are exacly what I want. My point is, I dont want a STI because I dont like the way they look, period. I dont want one. I have found multiple guns that are just what I am looking for that arent custom and that dont cost 3k. I dont want a gun for 3k, I think the point of deminishing returns has been reached.
Now for the person that shoots 1911 everyday or has a need for the best of the best, great by all means buy a 10 thousand dollar pistol. I have no problem with that. But that person isnt me.
I want a good, not emaculate, just good pistol that is realiable and dosent look like a billboard. Ones that I have found that I like are all Dan Wesson models, a couple of the Springfield's look ok, S&W pro and performace center. Not the best, but these guns look good and I would imagine preform 100%. That is all I want. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For shit sakes, I have found some different brands that are exacly what I want. My point is, I dont want a STI because I dont like the way they look, period. I dont want one. I have found multiple guns that are just what I am looking for that arent custom and that dont cost 3k. I dont want a gun for 3k, I think the point of deminishing returns has been reached.
Now for the person that shoots 1911 everyday or has a need for the best of the best, great by all means buy a 10 thousand dollar pistol. I have no problem with that. But that person isnt me.
I want a good, not emaculate, just good pistol that is realiable and dosent look like a billboard. Ones that I have found that I like are all Dan Wesson models, a couple of the Springfield's look ok, S&W pro and performace center. Not the best, but these guns look good and I would imagine preform 100%. That is all I want. Thanks </div></div>
Than you should get a Glock. You can not get a better new pistol for $600ish bucks in just about any caliber and size.

Nuclabuyer, sorry to piss you off, but guns are for shooting not looking at.

Examples of interests for those who like collecting pretty things might be collecting china, crystal and art.

If you want a good, short, 1911, watch your local paper and pickup an older Colt Combat Commander. If its not pretty you could have it re-finished in a prettier color.

I cant even come up with something to say to that idiotic post. Keep you super opinions to your self.
All I want is a gun that looks and preforms. I think that alot of people buy guns that are as good as they can afford. I expect the gun to both look like a nice gun as well as preform realiably. Otherwise I would buy something out of your collection.

Also, how did you like the tiger valley tactical team match? I didnt make it this year, I bet it was a riot like it usually is. Wish I could have made it again.

I own three SA (TRP, Micro, EMP) pistols and they are nice 1911's plus SA has a life time warranty and full custom shop if you desire other work (SA warranty applies to their custom shop work only). I also have a Wilson and Les Baer which both are very good and reliable. My Colt (Combat Commander) and Para (P14 Limited) shoot good but my Para does not have as hard of steel in the slide and is curling around the slide stop notch.

The Wilson CQB Compact is my carry gun, never will give her up. If you can find a used Wilson, Les Baer, Brown, Night Hawk, etc you can't go wrong for the money. SA also has a good pistol for the money but not as refined out of the box as the others mentioned but does have a good fit and finish. If I didn't own a Wilson and Les Baer I would not notice the trigger difference compared to my SA pistols. The SA trigger is good out of box and I would not have it adjusted unless I suddenly acquired OCD.

Wish I knew more about the Dan Wesson pistols but if they are as good as his revolvers your GTG. JMHO...

I have looked at the Wilsons and Nighthawks along with ed brown. I am sure that they are amazing pistols, just a little out of my price range at the current time. I have some money project that my $1500 dollars is problay pushing it. I have looked at SA and I once I get to a gun shop and can pick these guns up and look at them a little I will keep an open mind. I am liking the Wesson Valor at the moment, but I must say the SA is still in the running.

thanks for the help

I must say that I'm very impressed with my new SA TRP. Its not a true custom as seen with the fit of the mag well and not being matched up exactly but its very tight, smooth, and shoots very nice. The trigger is a bit on the heavy side from some other customs I have shot but its not bad and is still very short and clean.

I've been reading/following this thread and others trying to get a good idea on the different 1911 manufacturers. I've noticed just about every different manufacturer's gun can be described as a "tack driver". I guess its the engineer in me, but what does that mean exactly? What kind of groups are you getting at 25/50yds? What type of ammo does it like/hate?

I like my Springfield Armory 1911 a lot. Its from their "custom", home defense series about 10 years back, maybe more. Has the port hole in the top end of the barrel which really keeps the barrel down when shooting rapidly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am thinking of getting a new 1911. I have always wanted a Kimber and I also want it to be a 4". So from what I can tell I am looking at the Kimber Pro line. I have narrowed it down to a Eclipse Pro and a Pro Covert II. Is there a preferance? I like the eclipse because of the steel frame idea, but then the Covert is so damn sexy. Any one care to give me pro's and con's of these two. I dont carry a weapon in this town,so it would be more for 3 gun and some pistol games, that is about all it would be used for
thanks </div></div>I know that almost any manufacturer can produce a serviceable sidearm. If you ignore the custom manufacturers, there are only three really good 1911s out there now Colt, Sig, and S&W. Kimber and Springfield are second tier in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been reading/following this thread and others trying to get a good idea on the different 1911 manufacturers. I've noticed just about every different manufacturer's gun can be described as a "tack driver". I guess its the engineer in me, but what does that mean exactly? What kind of groups are you getting at 25/50yds? What type of ammo does it like/hate?</div></div>
Most high end will be around 1" at 25 yards. "Tack driver" is just a label that can mean anything similar to "blueprinted" Pretty much means slide to frame fit and barrel to slide fit. You get what you pay for. For the most part the lower the qaulity and cost the more likely you will have to shoot ball ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ignore the custom manufacturers, there are only three really good 1911s out there now Colt, Sig, and S&W. Kimber and Springfield are second tier in my opinion. </div></div>

Now <span style="font-weight: bold">that's</span> funny.

Josh

I've got a colt 1991a1 that is a damn good pistol. Had it for a few years. It's currently at Delvalle getting some lovin from Ray. Yeah it's got big roll marks but it friggin works! I got it for $450 with bomars, the guts replaced. There are deals to be had out there. Baers PM2's come up for 12-1300 used.