• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New .308 700P or current .270 700SPS?

sic65stang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey guys,

Welcome a new noob to the site! Well I am here to ask for discussion on a new rifle I am thinking of buying. I am not new to shooting but am thinking of moving from the realm of hunting rifles to a mainly target rifle. As of now my main gun is a Rem 700SPS chambered in .270 Win. Needless to say this gun shoots well, but not as good as I think it should. I have shouldered more pricey rifles and have had sub MOA accuracy. Im not saying I am the best shooter, but I know it is achievable. I have been reloading and the .270 has become more accurate, but not consistent (regardless of what I try).

With that said I am looking at a Rem 700P. This is a gun chambered in .308 with a 26” barrel. It is priced currently at 750 out the door. My questions are should I expect sub MOA with this rifle, better long range accuracy, and how well is the fit and finish (would I need to change the stock, have a new one rebedded etc.)?

I think I could get the .270 more accurate by buying a new stock and trigger along with some smith work, but is it worth it to put money in that or move to another rifle that is better out of the box and build from that?

All input is so appreciated, thanks so much guys.

Re: New .308 700P or current .270 700SPS?

I love the 700p's. It would make you a great gun. And yes, it should shoot sub MOA all day long.

However, if you are only interested in shooting paper at long ranges there are better rounds out there. Especially if you load your own ammo. But 308 is really a good all around gun.

WELCOME

I agree...the 700p should have no problems doing sub moa out of the box. I would go with it, then after I shot the barrel out, rebarrel to 260 remington. Should provide you with a solid platform to build on for years to come...

But is it better than working the .270? I would be in it for about the same money either way. I would have another Weapon though
smile.gif
. It just seems that everyone shoots 308, there must be an advantage.