Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2010
    upstate ny
    Has any one tried this stuff?
    Mike

1724234986264.png

1724235016830.png

All the non-RWS Federal 22 ammo I have ever tried was just mediocre . If this is just new packaging with same old load I can say my guns do not like it .

Reactions: JKW70
    The box says 1200fps. I have a few boxes of 'Old stock' (5-iosh yrs) FGM-SV at 1080. It shot OK in my Marlin-60, avg ca 1" @ 50. And Fed still lists the SV for $8/box, about the price of CCI_SV.

The pics show RNL, not HP. I'm on a 15" screen laptop, not a phone. I bought some of this 'new stuff' but mine says "Target" and is SV. The old stuff was OK for my 'low-cost' rifles, but haven't fired the 'new stuff' yet. I've got too many 'better-than-OK' choices.

When it comes to domestic made current production 22 ammo you occasionally get lucky with a good lot of CCI standard and that is about it. Everything else made in the United States is plinker grade end of story. Back in the 1960’s and earlier American companies did put out some good match grade 22, but they have totally abandoned the precision market since then.

Yes, I've got several bricks of SK-RM for my 'serious' shooting. I've tried Eley Club & Sport and they're OK, but not as good as the SK. Here in Canada the SK runs ~ $130/brick CDN plus tax - ca $100 USD.
    The USA 22Lr ammo is ok for the 'not as accurate' rifles, like the Marlin-60. But the Marlin gets under 1" @ 50 with the SK, too.

Reactions: 16VGTIDave
    I have old federal match that I was using in local rimfire matches (in a stock barreled 455) but was running out and got 2 bricks of this. Deffinitly not the same stuff. I can't remember how bad it was but I put it away and hoped it would do better in one of the other guns.

I was out Friday and shot some of Both 'flavors' thru the same CZ-455 SS Lux with a 6-24x50 FFP scope. It was a bit windy with L2R ~10-15mph so I had to wait for lulls. Still got both ammos under 3/4" @ 50 and both had ~1.5" @ 100. I only shot ~ 25 rounds of each so Not a significant 'study' but a good quick look. I did find the New had a 'waxy build-up' that was noticeable on the bullets, where the Old did not. That could become an issue affecting accuracy over a longer 'study', either 'imbalancing' the bullet or changing aero-shape ? I've only got ~ 200 rounds of the Old, then I'm into the New @ 450 rounds, so we'll see how it goes. I also have a few other guns to try it thru.

I was out Friday and shot some of Both 'flavors' thru the same CZ-455 SS Lux with a 6-24x50 FFP scope. It was a bit windy with L2R ~10-15mph so I had to wait for lulls. Still got both ammos under 3/4" @ 50 and both had ~1.5" @ 100. I only shot ~ 25 rounds of each so Not a significant 'study' but a good quick look. I did find the New had a 'waxy build-up' that was noticeable on the bullets, where the Old did not. That could become an issue affecting accuracy over a longer 'study', either 'imbalancing' the bullet or changing aero-shape ? I've only got ~ 200 rounds of the Old, then I'm into the New @ 450 rounds, so we'll see how it goes. I also have a few other guns to try it thru.
    This looks good, especially in windy conditions. I've never heard that waxing them contributed to imbalacing the bullets

For what little it’s worth, my initial impression was positive with this 1080 FPS target ammo.

I mounted an optic on my new-to-me T1X this weekend, zeroed it, and then shot a 5 round group with the FGMM, and shot roughly a .5” 5 shot group at 50 yards.
    Shot another group the next day with more daylight, and some wind, and shot a .5” 10 shot group at 50 yards.

Didn’t have a chrono out, or much time to stretch it out farther, but it has my attention. Will do further testing when I have time.
    I’d be willing to bet I just happen to have a good lot, and next brick I buy will shoot like garbage. lol

I was not impressed by CCI Green Tag or Pistol Match.
    Results with both indicate that they are CCI SV
    in fancier boxes with different labels and a higher price tag.
    CCI is not set up to manufacture benchrest grade rimfire cartridges.
    Hunting or plinking, offhand at short range they're adequate.
    Shooting for score at 50 yards, there are better options.

This looks good, especially in windy conditions. I've never heard that waxing them contributed to imbalacing the bullets
    Re the wax, when you've got blobs the size of paper-match heads, I'd guess quite unpredictable when tiny scratches are blamed for 'misses'. Maybe not enuf to affect the balance, but I mostly wiped off the cra* but if I left it on the aerodynamics would be affected. BTW have you all seen the vids by that German (?) Engineer showing the erratic run out of 22LR ammo - even the "Good Stuff" ? I can't find the link right now.

I was not impressed by CCI Green Tag or Pistol Match.
    Results with both indicate that they are CCI SV
    in fancier boxes with different labels and a higher price tag.
    CCI is not set up to manufacture benchrest grade rimfire cartridges.
    Hunting or plinking, offhand at short range they're adequate.
    Shooting for score at 50 yards, there are better options.
    I tell aspiring Rimfire positional shooters to burn through a couple cases on paper to hone their skills. Expect 20%+ high/low “flyers”, especially past 125yds.

Re the wax, when you've got blobs the size of paper-match heads, I'd guess quite unpredictable when tiny scratches are blamed for 'misses'. Maybe not enuf to affect the balance, but I mostly wiped off the cra* but if I left it on the aerodynamics would be affected. BTW have you all seen the vids by that German (?) Engineer showing the erratic run out of 22LR ammo - even the "Good Stuff" ? I can't find the link right now.
    I'm not sure that I saw the video, but I know what you mean