New Hornady .30 cal 225

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
Dave Tooley told us these were in the works... last BC numbers I saw were .711, but since the numbers for the 285 have not been verified, this is at least in question.

I just Googled, "225 gr 30 cal Hornady". Apparently there was a page at Midway but it has been taken down. Their price was/is? $33.99 It doesn't say whether it's for 100 or 50. I'm hoping 100.

Here's what the banner says...

"Hornady Match Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 225 Grain Hollow ...
Hornady has pushed their match bullet design to the limit, then put them through painstaking production controls and strict testing to ensure they ..."

If you click on the link it says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but the page you were trying to access could not be found." which is probably Midwayspeak for, "Oops, we put it up too soon."

http://www.google.com/search?q=225+gr+30...99faa430ac3503f

That's it.

I guess these things are getting closer to being real.

Are you .30 cal guys as excited about these as the .338 guys seem to be about the 285's? If so, what caliber are you loading and what powder are you thinking?

I'm currently running a 22" barrel on my 300WM, so they probably don't make a lot of sense for me right now, but barrels can be changed.
grin.gif
In my current barrel, I'm pretty sure I can't drive them hard enough to give an advantage over my 208's. They're running well over 2900 fps (it's a lot faster than that, but I want to verify on another chrono), and giving me 17.7 mil to a mile.

John

Re: New Hornady .30 cal 225

Hey John

I'm gonna shoot 'em outta a 28" barreled 30-06
laugh.gif

My 30-06 is going to need a new tube when I get through this latest pile of 208's I have so I just ordered a blank for a winter rebarrel...

Just in time to suck these up and shoot 'em from the little 30-06... I might borrow a 308 just to try 'em out with some RL17
wink.gif
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornaday 225gr Amax won't be out to the public until early to mid summer. Can't wait!!! </div></div>

Where are you getting your information?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update: Wish I had better news. Release date Jan. 1

Nothing official but the 30's should be out the same time. </div></div>

I'm *pretty* sure that Dave said it was NOT a tipped bullet. Do you know different?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornaday 225gr Amax won't be out to the public until early to mid summer. Can't wait!!! </div></div>

Sorry these are not A Max's they have ditched the A Max with these ned designes because they can make the conventional HPBT match projectiles more accuratly and now with the technology they can get the same BC and small meplate with tipping the projectiles i would love some 338's when they become available here and also hope they make a 175-180gr 7mm as they would smoke the reliability of the 7mm A Max's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey John

laugh.gif

My 30-06 is going to need a new tube when I get through this latest pile of 208's I have so I just ordered a blank for a winter rebarrel...</div></div>

MM and I were running some numbers today and we figured a 300WM wearing a 30" barrel should be able to get a *conservative* 3000 fps from these. At my AO that's 15.5 mil to a mile and 20 mils to 2K.
eek.gif

It'll be interesting to see what you can get out of the '06.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These should arrive about the same time as the Hodgdon Superformance powder. Things will get interesting. </div></div>

I'm very curious about this. I've been waiting for a powder that would do for the WM what RL17 has done for the 308 and 30-'06.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey John

laugh.gif

My 30-06 is going to need a new tube when I get through this latest pile of 208's I have so I just ordered a blank for a winter rebarrel...</div></div>

MM and I were running some numbers today and we figured a 300WM wearing a 30" barrel should be able to get a *conservative* 3000 fps from these. At my AO that's 15.5 mil to a mile and 20 mils to 2K.
eek.gif

John </div></div>

I think 3k fps from your 30" tube is pretty realistic, I can't wait to see what you get from it.

These 30's and 338's are making me want to build a bigger round than the 7/300 WSM that I just had the reamer come in for. That 30-375 Ruger is such a huge temptation. Something with a mild gain twist and a 32" tube with these bullets would be awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think 3k fps from your 30" tube is pretty realistic, I can't wait to see what you get from it. </div></div>

Oh, *I* don't have a 30" yet, I'm still wearing that 22", but we were just tossing this around and *IF* might be a compelling reason to go that direction, especially since I don't hunt with this rifle as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That 30-375 Ruger is such a huge temptation. Something with a mild gain twist and a 32" tube with these bullets would be awesome. </div></div>

The numbers for that round are phenomenal, but realistically, for me at least, it might as well BE a .338 because of my current investment in dies, brass, bullets, etc and the higher cost per round. It's extremely tempting on paper, but practically speaking, a project like that is not in the cards unless my personal economy sees some significant "stimulus".
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey John

laugh.gif

eek.gif

John </div></div>

I think 3k fps from your 30" tube is pretty realistic, I can't wait to see what you get from it.

These 30's and 338's are making me want to build a bigger round than the 7/300 WSM that I just had the reamer come in for. That 30-375 Ruger is such a huge temptation. Something with a mild gain twist and a 32" tube with these bullets would be awesome. </div></div>

These new 225 grainers and HSP powder will really bring new life to my 30-375R.Maybe 3025 FPS ? instead of 2925FPS that I'm getting from the 240SMK.
grin.gif

Thanks for the info John!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These new 225 grainers and HSP powder will really bring new life to my 30-375R.Maybe 3025 FPS ? instead of 2925FPS that I'm getting from the 240SMK.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Steve,

What barrel length are you running now? If you're getting 2925 with the 240's, just guessing here and depending how far out you can seat them to get case capacity (that 240 takes up a LOT of powder room), I'm betting you could get 3025-3050 NOW, without some Super powder (UNLESS you already have your chamber throated long so you can seat the 240's all the way out). I would expect 3000 fps +- with a WM and the 30-375 has significantly more case volume.

Have you loaded any 208/210's or 220's and what velocities did THEY give? That would give another data point.

John

A BC of .711 in a 225 grain bullets really makes a 300WM a long range monster with a lot of energy.

I spoke with one of Hornady's engineers a few weeks ago and although he didn't say what grain of 30 cal. He did say that their new 30 cal bullet design that is coming out for 2011 is one of the most accurate bullets He had even seen. He seemed pretty exited, said that the 200 yard testing was just producing one big hole, but wouldn't spill any more details other than it's a HPBT.

JamieD,

Sounds like it will be quite nice medicine for any of the big 30's. The 300RUM, 300Lapua and 300Lapua Improved should all love this new bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These new 225 grainers and HSP powder will really bring new life to my 30-375R.Maybe 3025 FPS ? instead of 2925FPS that I'm getting from the 240SMK.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Steve,

What barrel length are you running now? If you're getting 2925 with the 240's, just guessing here and depending how far out you can seat them to get case capacity (that 240 takes up a LOT of powder room), I'm betting you could get 3025-3050 NOW, without some Super powder (UNLESS you already have your chamber throated long so you can seat the 240's all the way out). I would expect 3000 fps +- with a WM and the 30-375 has significantly more case volume.

Have you loaded any 208/210's or 220's and what velocities did THEY give? That would give another data point.

John </div></div>

I have a 30" 9 twist Krieger.

I've got the 240's seated out about as far as they will fit in the magazine.3.556" and a little longer than in the pic when the barrel was new.As you can see the bullet is just out of the neck/shoulder junction.Edit,LOL the pic makes it look like the bullet is just past the shoulder.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

At original load development I tried some various powders,Retumbo,R-25,US-869 with the 208's and 240's.The velocity wasn't there with those powders.Later on I tried H-1000 with the 240's.It turned out to be the perfect burning rate for the case as I gained nearly 100FPS.I also lucked out with the load development on the very first try.A 5 shot group in the .2"s.It shot so well that I didn't try 208's again.I wouldn't be surprised if I got over 3000fps with the 208's.

Those 225's are going to be perfect for what I built the 30-375R for.Last time I went out with JTG he had a new load for his 338L with 300 Bergers.Previously he was using 250 Scenars and we were pretty even on what we could do at a mile.With the 300 grainers he was kicking my ass,LOL.The 225's will put us about even again,YAY !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McLarenRoss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Making me wonder if I shouldnt look into a 300 for my next build over a 284 Win. How will a heavy 300 at 3000fps do against a heavy 7mm at 3000fps? </div></div>

JBM numbers at sea level:

<span style="font-weight: bold">7mm 180 Berger (G1 .684) @ 3000 fps</span>

1000 6.7 mil
1760 18.4 mil
2000 24.2 mil
transonic 2100

<span style="font-weight: bold">.30 cal 225 Hornady (G1 .711) @ 3000 fps</span>

1000 6.6 mil
1760 17.8 mil
2000 23.3 mil
transonic 2150

Extremely close. Keep in mind we don't know th true BC of the new .30 225

John

I had a hard on for the 208 A-max before it came out, and love the bullet. I have the same problem (enjoyment!) hearing about this bullet. Looking at some bullet length numbers (Greenhill calculations), and pushing it in a 300WM, a 1:11" twist should work just fine for this bullet. I can see pushing it around 2800-2850 fps without issue in a WM.

Steve,

Your throat is pretty long so you'll not see an advantage of a larger powder charge, but the lighter weight will give you a little more velocity, and at the same BC, that will give you a little flatter trajectory, but those 300 Bergers being launched at close to 3000 fps are going to be hard to catch...

I see this new bullet as a small incremental step in heavy .30 cal development, but I really don't think it does much for the body of .30 cal users. It has too low of a BC for the weight, or too much weight for the BC. Sure it's an advantage for guys who up til now were locked into a 208/210 or the 240, but I think that there is more potential here. It would seem that most of the attention has been devoted to 7mm and .338.

I was hoping for something in the 210-215 range with a BC in the mid .7's

John

.711 for a BC sounds good, would really like to see it more like 750+, but I've got this nagging voice in the back of my head telling me it's likely to be less and I wouldn't be all that surprised if it was less than 700.

Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will be atleast .711, or more, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

In slightly related, but different news, I *just* got off the phone with Lindy at Hornady. The production run of 208's has been pushed back *AGAIN* to the end of Nov. They'll ship to dealers two weeks later. That means no 208's until at least the middle of Dec.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.711 for a BC sounds good, would really like to see it more like 750+, but I've got this nagging voice in the back of my head telling me it's likely to be less and I wouldn't be all that surprised if it was less than 700.

Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will be atleast .711, or more, but I'm not going to hold my breath. </div></div>

I'd like to see Dave Tooley weigh in on this topic. From what I've been able to glean from reading everything I've been able to find *and* reading between the lines a little, Hornady was mainly looking to create a very accurate heavy .30 cal, that did not use a tip, and still have a reasonably high BC. Berger seems to be the company that is persuing the "Ultimate BC Title". But a low drag bullet is no good to me if it doesn't group. But an accurate bullet is not interesting to me if it won't "get there".

John

OK guys here's what I know. 30cal 225gr. HPBT BC just past .700. It was designed to increase the BC while still maintaining accuracy over the life of a barrel. I have shot them to 2K out of a 30-375 and they don't give up much, to the 338 Lapua's shot that day. Only about a 6% reduction in BC compared to the 285's and they can be shot at the same speed with 20 grs. less powder. I can measure BC's here just haven't done it yet and I find comparing different bullets to each other, same day same setup, more valuble than trying to come up with a number to advertise. The BC is what it is and we modify our numbers to match real world performance in our ballistic programs. To many variables and there are no absolutes.

Superformance powder-Below are the only cartridges that reloading data has been published for. Not the burn rate we need for large cases.

22-250
243 Winchester
6mm Remington
243 WSSM
25 WSSM
300 WSM
300 Ruger Compact Magnum

Dave,

Thanks so much for contributing some factual data.

Question, if you can answer it. Was the new 225 designed *specifically* for the 30-375?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve,

Your throat is pretty long so you'll not see an advantage of a larger powder charge, but the lighter weight will give you a little more velocity, and at the same BC, that will give you a little flatter trajectory, but those 300 Bergers being launched at close to 3000 fps are going to be hard to catch...

I see this new bullet as a small incremental step in heavy .30 cal development, but I really don't think it does much for the body of .30 cal users. It has too low of a BC for the weight, or too much weight for the BC. Sure it's an advantage for guys who up til now were locked into a 208/210 or the 240, but I think that there is more potential here. It would seem that most of the attention has been devoted to 7mm and .338.

I was hoping for something in the 210-215 range with a BC in the mid .7's

John </div></div>

I'm using 78 grains of H-1000 and I think there's enough room for a 2-3 grains more powder.

IIRC JTG was getting 2850fps or so out of his 338L/300B's so it's going to be real close to the H225's at 3000fps in 30-375R,hopefully ???

Thanks for the scoop Dave Tooley.I'm exited to try em!

Chad

I don't think you'll have any problems with an 11. They are 1.550" Don't believe everything the formulas tell you. I've shot a 1.320" 187 gr. FB 30 cal. in a 14 twist. Wasn't supposed to work but I wore everyone out in 1K comp shooting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will be a nice bullet for a .308 if I can get it up to 2600. I have gotten the 220 smk to 2650 so hopefully. </div></div>

I have to ask WHY?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.55" bullet length on the 225gr, not bad. I was guessing longer than that. The 208s are around 1.53" </div></div>

No red tip on these so you can pack more weight into appx. the same length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.55" bullet length on the 225gr, not bad. I was guessing longer than that. The 208s are around 1.53" </div></div>

Yeah,

That surprises me a bit. I'm having a hard time picturing how a heavier bullet of the same length can have a lower BC. But my names not Bryan Litz either.
grin.gif

John

ETA: Bohem may have just answered the question. Damn, always a few seconds late.

My gunsmith told me I should not have a problem shooting the 225 grain out of a 1/10 twist 26" tube? What did you guys think? I ask because I'm about to order a blank from Rock Creek and that's the round I want to develop for my 300wm.

The weight/length as compared to the 208 could also be a factor of a slightly different ogive and boat tail, in addition to the tip being metal.

At ant rate, at 1.55", a 1/10 twist bbl should do fine. My 1/10 30-06 stabilizes the 240 SMK just fine at 2600 fps, and the 240 SMK is 1.60" long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-225-GR-BTHP-Match/

It's finally officially on Hornady's website, that's a good sign. I've been looking every week for a while now, and finally have found it!

I'm looking forward to getting some to stuff in my .308! lol.

Branden </div></div>

Hmm... there's a lot more new bullets than the 285 and the 225...

http://www.hornady.com/store/Match-newbullets/

and apparently Amax's get new jackets, too.. Which might be why they are so late and hard to come by.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk about a surprise. Open a box of 30 cal bullets and see a few of those 416's mixed in. WTF

Good looking bullet. </div></div> i'll be more than happy to take the .416 bullets of your hands Dave