New Hornady BTHP Match Bullets

Re: New Hornady BTHP Match Bullets

Hey I know you're just taking a poke at me. It's Monday. I don't know how old you are but does Powell River Labs ring any bells. Sintered tungsten cores among other things. 225 grs turns into about 300 grs. or a 168 turns into 220 grs. Seems I tested 30's with a BC of about .800 one time. They were $3 each 13-14 years ago.

Amen to better training. Shoot more and shoot more often.

Dave,

I certainly do not want to sound ungrateful for all the hard work you guys have done. I can come across a little calloused at times and couple that with my sarcastic sense of humor which rarely comes across in a forum... well, you can see where were at.
wink.gif

From my perspective, it's a lot easier for me to buy a new bullet that will give me 4 mils flatter performance at 2K than to buy a new barrel or rechamber to a larger round. I want to stretch the legs on my 300WM and I'm on a limited budget, unlike a lot of guys on this forum. But I'm running out of elevation. Simplest solution is a higher BC/weigh ratio.

I'm sure the 208 and 225 BTHP's are fine bullets. But for me, right now on paper, they offer me nothing.

John

John

No problem here.

I do have one question. When do expectations become unrealistic? Using a shoulder fired rifle where is the limit? There are physical limits to what we can do, what the equipment will do. I've shot to 2400 yds. before but I had a dedicated rifle/optics combination that the closest zero was about 900 yds. not very practical but it achieved my goal. That goal was to chase stuff around way the hell over there on that other mountain. The further we shoot the more it costs. Kinda like speed, the faster you want to go the more it costs and the more compromises have to be made. I hear Berger is coming out with a heavy VLD/Hybrid that may or may not get you where you want to go. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When do expectations become unrealistic? Using a shoulder fired rifle where is the limit? There are physical limits to what we can do, what the equipment will do. </div></div>

I have a historical reputation as an overachiever. I ran my first marathon 11 months after running for the first time in my life (well, when someone wasn't chasing me
wink.gif
) , and then ran a 50 miler 1 month later, in spite of (because of?) people telling me I couldn't do it. If I stopped trying when the "experts" told me to, I would have accomplished almost nothing in my life. Instead, I've consistently pushed the envelope, tried things no one else would try and done things not many others have done, in a variety of arenas.

I am a little jealous of your history in shooting. To have THAT MUCH experience would be invaluable. But sometimes it's the guy who doesn't know that what he's trying is not really possible that will actually break new ground.

I think I told you we shot out to 2300 yds. a couple months ago with very good accuracy. The 208's seem to have good stability going transonic. I'm going back to that spot nest week, if the weather holds. I'm not completely unaware that the reaction to that has been shock, disbelief and accusations of lies. Most people have no idea what the limits of their equipment is. I LOVE to find the limits. Whether it's mountain biking, sliding a Superbike around a track or just goofing off in my wife's Subaru when is snows (this is between us boys
wink.gif
) I'm not happy with status quo.

This next barrel will probably be 26" or 28" because I am handcuffed by a 22".
grin.gif
Yeah, I know. Ridiculous, right? THAT might get me there.

Maybe sometime soon I CAN tell you where it all falls apart for the WM at least. After that, who knows... maybe I can rustle up some cash and build one of them there 30-375 contraptions. Then we'll go a little further.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey I know you're just taking a poke at me. It's Monday. I don't know how old you are but does Powell River Labs ring any bells. Sintered tungsten cores among other things. 225 grs turns into about 300 grs. or a 168 turns into 220 grs. Seems I tested 30's with a BC of about .800 one time. They were $3 each 13-14 years ago.

Amen to better training. Shoot more and shoot more often. </div></div>

Not old enough to remember those bullets personally but I've been told about them. I heard that repeatability issues with the sintered cores caused a lot of accuracy/grouping woes for people shooting them.

The single most interesting bullet in this new line up , for me was the .416 450gr bullet , very surprising .

The bc does not look good , maybe some one knows the reason for this inclusion in the range .

I would have liked to see a heavy 375 cal bullet for CT & VT cases .

Cheers Chris

I just got in 100 of the new 285's last night as well as the 178 gr BTHP. I hopefully will get a chance to load them up next week and do some shooting with them.

I have the 105 BTHP's and the 140 BTHP's coming in the next few days as well.

more to come

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got in 100 of the new 285's last night as well as the 178 gr BTHP. I hopefully will get a chance to load them up next week and do some shooting with them.

I have the 105 BTHP's and the 140 BTHP's coming in the next few days as well.

more to come </div></div>

Tony,

Any word from Hornady as to why they've slipped 208 Amax's AGAIN? They have production scheduled for Fed. 2011. Just not a high enough priority for them?

John

We have passed on everyone's concerns about lack of products on the shelves including the 178s, 105s, 140s and 208s but we don't run the company and aren't given any internal company reasoning behind thier production schedule.

I am waiting on 2000 myself and have an unfired 300WM in the safe so i feel your pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have passed on everyone's concerns about lack of products on the shelves including the 178s, 105s, 140s and 208s but we don't run the company and aren't given any internal company reasoning behind thier production schedule.

I am waiting on 2000 myself and have an unfired 300WM in the safe so i feel your pain. </div></div>

Rob,

I know you and Tony are sponsored by Hornady, but I wasn't sure how much information they shared with you. Tony had made some inquiries in the past and I was just curious if he knew what was going on. Not holding either of you two responsible in any way or expecting miracles.
wink.gif
Just would really like to know how to plan. I don't really want to place a big order for JLK's or Bergers if I don't have to, but have to make some decisions very soon.

John

hey I have an idea.why want all you guys who have 1000-2000 on oreder just reorder for the newer 225gn bullets.then this way I can order some of the 208gn A-max's.or am I wishful thinking.

They share some info with us but as to time lines and the everyday production line is a little past what we need to know. Just the other day they asked us for input and we both mentioned about the lack of bullets hitting the stores and the threads here and that's when the Production Line manager wrote back that they were boxing up the 105s and 140s. Hopefully the rest will come soon.

Well, according to the young lady I spoke with , the 208 BTHP's were scheduled for Jan. 15 and the 208 Amax's for mid-Feb.

Good thing there's 3 feet of snow in my ELR spot.
grin.gif

Dry firing is gonna get really old soon.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, according to the young lady I spoke with , the 208 BTHP's were scheduled for Jan. 15 and the 208 Amax's for mid-Feb.

Good thing there's 3 feet of snow in my ELR spot.
grin.gif

Dry firing is gonna get really old soon.

John </div></div>

It took about an hour to setup, but one time in very upstate NY we shot in early February a few years back. We threw down some hay, pitched a tent, rolled the shooting mats out and shot from the (relative) comfort of a tent out in the middle of nowhere... Not that I'm advocating running muzzle blast near a nylon tent, but it's been done when cabin fever really took over:D

I didn't know 75gr Vmax's in .243 were hard to get. I've got quite a few boxes of those if anyone wants to do some horse tradin for some 208Amax
smile.gif

I just got off the phone with Hornady, & they quoted the 208 HPBT @ .648 BC, & the 225 HPBT @ .670 BC. They also said the 208 A Max is press is currently running, & they are filling orders!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bet these new "OTM" bullets will have Hornady competing for some mil contracts. </div></div>

Wild Bill made this observation in the thred about the new XM2010:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest thing i can see coming next year will be a push from Hornady with a superformance load with their new 225gr OTM projectile because they have a 180gr Superformance load pushing 3117 fps in a factory Howa 300 Win Mag 24" barrel and the same rifle tested with Win Supreme 180gr ammo was only 2838fps.

So i think that Hornady look like they might be able to release a 300 Win MAg load in Superformance that will be close to cracking 3000fps in a 22-24" barrel and that realy breaks new performance ground for factory ammo if it shoots i can see the US military using it aswell as the 220gr OTm Sierra Projectile and this 225gr will work and feed through a factory mag and stabalise in a 10 twist barrel.

It realy is bringing the 300 Win MAg into the 300 Ultramag arena and that should make the old 300 Win mag a great round to use for shooting to a mile inthis new platform</div></div>

He could very well be on to something here. If Mk248 Mod1 is running 2950-2975 out service rifles (chron'd by Frank at RO recently at sea level out of Mk13's) w/H1000, I think it's entirely possible for Hornady to get higher velocities with a heavier bullet using proprietary powders. *I* wouldn't want to reload the brass, but 1 time performance would be significantly improved over Mk248 Mod1.

Just for grins, I ran some JBM at 70 deg F @ Sea level

<span style="font-weight: bold">MK248 Mod1 (220 @ 2975 fps)</span>(spec on this load is 2850+-50 fps)

1000 7.0 mil
1500 14.3 mil
1 mile 19.5 mil
SS 1600+ yds
wind @ 1 mile 3.4 mil
energy at 1 mile 600 ft/lbs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mythical 225 load @ 3000 fps</span>(I would guess this to be conservative)

1000 6.7 mil
1500 13.4 mil
1 mile 18 mil
SS 1800+ yds
wind @ 1 mile 3.1 mil
energy at 1 mile 690 ft/lbs.

Given the .mil's heinous qualification process, this would be an enormous uphill battle, even if there is an open consideration. But 200 yds. extra SS flight time (at sea level!) alone would make a strong argument.

John

So here we are in Oct. 2011... Has anyone had a chance to put any of these way (like.. past transonic) downrange, and if so have you been able to compare vs. the Berger 230 OTM Tactical or the Berger 230 Target Hybrid with regard to accuracy and stability through transonic? Velocity? Load? Elevations?

We have a 30" 300WM in the wings that's dying for some data (and a custom reamer
grin.gif
).

John