• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Hornady LNL AP Or Dillon 650

johnmac

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2007
NC
I am seeing a lot of good reports about the new Hornady LNL AP. Many are saying that it is as good or better than the Dillon 650XL.

I'm thinking about getting one or the other. Good parts, bad parts best place to purchase.

Any help from users with experience is appreciated!

Re: New Hornady LNL AP Or Dillon 650

"Better" is subjective. I think what you're seeing is that some things on the LNL are a little easier/faster - caliber changes and a little less expensive etc. The Dillon's are a robust design and great presses. That said, I like my LNL AP.

I took a long time deciding between the two and ended up with the Hornady LNL; no regrets. They are both good presses, each have their advantages and disadvantages. Some people do not like the ergonomics of the LNL, but it works for me better than the 650 (sort of like, I can't shoot a Glock worth a damn and do OK with a Sig).

You won't be disappointed with either. They are both great presses.

One of the biggest irritations I had with my LNL was the goofy ejector wire. That design has been done away with in favor of a much better ejector system that works beneath the shellplate. I couldn't be happier with it now. I've easily loaded 20,000 rounds on mine. Agreed, Dillon's warranty is better because they send your replacement parts overnight. Hornady sends them snail mail. However, both are free.

If you plan to load more than 1 caliber on the press, I'd lean towards the LNL. If you are getting it for 1 caliber, I'd go 650. The 650 is an awesome press, but caliber conversions take more time. I also think the 650 is easier for running large batches of ammo at 1 time.

I have a 650 and love it. dont know what poeple mean by caliber changes are difficult, if you have multiple tool heads and everything set up on each it only takes a few minutes to change over. I have only had one minor parts breakage on my dillon due to a stupid mistake, and customer service was great. I have not heard good things about hornady customer service, but have no first hand knowledge.