• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes New Leupold CQBSS?

Re: New Leupold CQBSS?

honestly, it's not for 'us' the civvie market , it's a contract scope; and is already being sold via fed contracts to various JSOC units -

i think 1st group or 5th group was one of the first , pretty sure they ordered like a 1000 of them or some such number

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honestly, it's not for 'us' the civvie market , it's a contract scope; and is already being sold via fed contracts to various JSOC units -

i think 1st group or 5th group was one of the first , pretty sure they ordered like a 1000 of them or some such number

</div></div>
I agree, but it is nice to get good gear designed by Leupolds new Tactical design team when they had direct contact with the end users dream sheet. Especially when the dream sheet comes from those guys.

I'm seriously questioning this now. This is the largest list price I have ever heard of, for a scope designed to be shot at or under, 1000 yards, a CQB to mid range scope at that. The Top Notch Tactical website says it is for a Marine Corps Scout Sniper contract. Who thinks this up? Is this the "fell off the truck and we know everyone wants the latest and greatest CIADeltaRangerSEAL gucci gear so we can make them run out to the nearest bank for a third, fourth, or fifth mortgage" response to the shooting industry? Does the exorbant fee apply to the government, or the taxpayer, for a type of product that is being refined to near perfection through other companies that served our armed forces very well? Here is my response.

Hello. Thank you for calling U.S. Optics. How may I help you?

Most of the guys that are getting these I would venture to guess have a pair of uppers, one for CQB with a red dot of their choice in the 10 to 12 inch range and another with a S&B short dot or this new CQBSS in the 14.5-18 inch range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Leupold already has a contract:
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&...re&_cview=1

But it seems to be that one could get a variable 2.5-10x and a dedicated offset red dot and have plenty of cash left over. For me, that would be a better setup. </div></div>

Dear SOCOM,

Dont ask. Choose!

http://www.usoptics.com/configurator/configure.php?PN=SN4-150

Sincerly,

ArmaHeavy(The taxpayer/soldier not willing to pay $74000 plus on twenty scopes and mounts)

P.S. Ever hear of Schmidt and Bender?

If my math is correct, one could get a 1.1-4x Short Dot, good quality rifle and have plenty of $ left over for ammo for what one of these Leupold scopes are listed for.

Even if they're everything they're advertised to be, the pricing is still a bit of a head scratcher........

There is a reason for the cost of this scope.
For many years getting a true 8 times ratio for magnification has been an optical "holy grail" if you will.
In order for this to happen, in most instances a third moving lens needs to be added to the erector system. This lens will move at different times and different distances than the other two lenses in the familiar erector systems. This is a very difficult system to manufacturer. Add to this that in some instances you are dealing with a reticle in the FFP and a red dot in the SFP and you have a very time consuming component in an optical package.
Only you as the end user can justify if that cost is worth it or not.
I am only letting you know the crapload of issues that are faced trying to bring this sucker to market.
Regards,
Paul

i bet the price would come down if a person ordered more than just one ... lol

group buy?

this argument could be made about any product the gov't buys-

take the HORUS recon w/ atrag sofware pda device - 48 million dollar contract , and the units were tiered in pricing; starting at retail then coming down close to half price after a few years ;

is $2200 too high for a PDA with ballistic software preloaded ?

well, probably not when HORUS has to provide an instructor for the units, service the units, guarantee the units, provide the units according to the contract schedule, which may involve hiring employees (pay, benefits, vacation, etc),

especially when you consider they are NOT getting full price for EACH unit they sell but only the first batch, then the price falls but the requirements stay the same

The one I saw had the red dot in the first focal plane, not the second. So when dialed up to power it obstructed the Horus reticle. I think it is a great scope, but for that price I'll stick with the S&B 1-8 offering when/if available. Atleast their dot was in the second focal plane and didn't interfere with the reticle, and their price point was much more reasonable.

I have had the new M-TMR reticle Leupold for about two months now. LOVE it! I bought two, one for my brother and one for me. He decided to go with the H-27 instead and now I am stuck with his also. I may place it on my HK 416D. I have mine on a Colt Mk 18 CQBR. Love both guns and have been very pleased with the new scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: happyhuntingground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had the new M-TMR reticle Leupold for about two months now. LOVE it! I bought two, one for my brother and one for me. He decided to go with the H-27 instead and now I am stuck with his also. I may place it on my HK 416D. I have mine on a Colt Mk 18 CQBR. Love both guns and have been very pleased with the new scope. </div></div>

Where did you get this? I have been looking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just got a 1.1-8x to T&E from Leupold.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

While price tag is still shocking - does this glass as good as we hope it to be?
I mean if price is not an issue - how good is this scope in reality?

Thank you in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just got a 1.1-8x to T&E from Leupold.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Mike, when will the CQBSS with the Horus reticle be available to the public for sale? thanks, Lee

I talked to a guy who played with one of these. Don't know how he got his hands on one, but he said it's the best thing they have produced to date and the scope was 'unreal'.
I'd pay around $1500, but for a CQB type scope, paying more than that is just silly in by book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm seriously questioning this now. This is the largest list price I have ever heard of, for a scope designed to be shot at or under, 1000 yards, a CQB to mid range scope at that. The Top Notch Tactical website says it is for a Marine Corps Scout Sniper contract. Who thinks this up? Is this the "fell off the truck and we know everyone wants the latest and greatest CIADeltaRangerSEAL gucci gear so we can make them run out to the nearest bank for a third, fourth, or fifth mortgage" response to the shooting industry? Does the exorbant fee apply to the government, or the taxpayer, for a type of product that is being refined to near perfection through other companies that served our armed forces very well? Here is my response.

Hello. Thank you for calling U.S. Optics. How may I help you? </div></div>

I couldn't agree more. The new S&B 1-8 Short-Dot (which is a true 1 power scope, unlike the Leupy) is $1500 cheaper. You really have to question the wisdom of anyone buying one of these. Someone at Leupold has lost the plot completely on this. Maybe this is Leupold's cash stimulus package - because that's what it looks like! $4000 for an M16/AR15 scope given its task is f&*%*&^ beyond absurd!

Here the type we have in stock for T&E. Click this link to see the Leupold CQBSS at CS Tactical.

Leupold_1.1_8x24_4d0a95e426b48.jpg

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here the type we have in stock for T&E. Click this link to see the Leupold CQBSS at CS Tactical.

Leupold_1.1_8x24_4d0a95e426b48.jpg

Mike @ CST

</div></div>

It looks fantastic - but $4000 fantastic I'm not so sure about.

How much better is this scope versus S&B's $2500 1-8 Short-Dot? What will the extra $1500 for the CQBSS give me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3,999.99 is a steal, Here they are listed at <span style="color: #FF0000">5,499.99</span> </div></div>

Yes, but it's "Declassified"........
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3,999.99 is a steal, Here they are listed at <span style="color: #FF0000">5,499.99</span> </div></div>

These scopes are so good every single police department and ERT team are going to want them on their containment rifles
crazy.gif
. Despite the economic times next years budgets are being revised sharply upwards to cater for this need. Everyone's got money to burn, mayors across the country have their pens poised for the sign-off. The military has probably got an order in for a few thousand as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just got a 1.1-8x to T&E from Leupold.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

While price tag is still shocking - does this glass as good as we hope it to be?
I mean if price is not an issue - how good is this scope in reality?

Thank you in advance. </div></div> The glass is very nice and I will have more info on it latter. The price tag is hard to swallow for almost any scope. All the 1-8x will have a high price tag do to what they offer and the cost that goes into them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGGLEE0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just got a 1.1-8x to T&E from Leupold.

Mike @ CST </div></div> Mike, when will the CQBSS with the Horus reticle be available to the public for sale? thanks, Lee </div></div> I have heard they will be offering them in the Fist Quarter of 2011 but I’m not 100% for sure on this.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The One with the CSBSS with the H-27 will had close to $800.00 from what I was told but we will see.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Just curious Mike the Leupold is $1500 more than S&B's new 1-8 Short Dot. Can you tell us what the extra $1500 buys over the S&B?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just curious Mike the Leupold is $1500 more than S&B's new 1-8 Short Dot. Can you tell us what the extra $1500 buys over the S&B? </div></div>

I have not hand a S&B in my hand to play with other than at SHOT 2010. Leupold is the only one that can say the have one out at this time that is working and is in the field being used by the Military. I'm not sure what they are $1500 more.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3,999.99 is a steal, Here they are listed at <span style="color: #FF0000">5,499.99</span> </div></div>

These scopes are so good every single police department and ERT team are going to want them on their containment rifles
crazy.gif
. Despite the economic times next years budgets are being revised sharply upwards to cater for this need. Everyone's got money to burn, mayors across the country have their pens poised for the sign-off. The military has probably got an order in for a few thousand as well. </div></div>

hahahaha good post

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just curious Mike the Leupold is $1500 more than S&B's new 1-8 Short Dot. Can you tell us what the extra $1500 buys over the S&B? </div></div>

I have not hand a S&B in my hand to play with other than at SHOT 2010. Leupold is the only one that can say the have one out at this time that is working and is in the field being used by the Military. I'm not sure what they are $1500 more.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Thanks Mike, the S&B 1-8 Short-Dot is listed at $2500 or there abouts and Leupold is retailing for $3999 - that's the $1500 difference. The S&B's are available out of the UK for about UKP1600 I believe, so they are in market.

I should be taking a tour of the Leupold facility and meeting the staff shortly. I'll pass any appropriate info they authorize me to share.

I can already say this, Leupold does seem to be much more responsive to the tactical community than they did back in the 1990's when I was a full-time military sniper and we were working with them to get various specific needs filled. Back then, even with my unit's enormous budget, if Leupold didn't already have something to fit the bill, it was tough luck. Now, they're seeming to be much more innovative and responsive to the military and tactical community's unique needs.

If Leupold hadn't responded, U.S. Optics would have completely run away with the military side of it, at least in my opinion. U.S. Optics have some very good quality stuff and quite a few options for different military applications I think are pretty smartly done. Good on John W III and crew for all they've done over there.

So now we've got some real competition, which should be good for everyone involved...at least I sure hope so.

For the price I think I'll stick with nxs2.5-10x24, has anyone seen dimensions on the leupold yet, swfa had a 23" length posted. I would assume that is not correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAWMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should be taking a tour of the Leupold facility and meeting the staff shortly. I'll pass any appropriate info they authorize me to share.

I can already say this, Leupold does seem to be much more responsive to the tactical community than they did back in the 1990's when I was a full-time military sniper and we were working with them to get various specific needs filled. Back then, even with my unit's enormous budget, if Leupold didn't already have something to fit the bill, it was tough luck. Now, they're seeming to be much more innovative and responsive to the military and tactical community's unique needs.

If Leupold hadn't responded, U.S. Optics would have completely run away with the military side of it, at least in my opinion. U.S. Optics have some very good quality stuff and quite a few options for different military applications I think are pretty smartly done. Good on John W III and crew for all they've done over there.

So now we've got some real competition, which should be good for everyone involved...at least I sure hope so. </div></div>

I agree, it's about time leupold got back in the game in a sense. Not that the mark 4 lineup isn't good. But hell to pay what they're asking for the current lineup of mark 4s are overpriced IMO. Especially when you can get a better product for the same or less price(NF). I'm hoping after they fill the contract of this lineup and get these scopes out on the market the current Mark 4s prices drop. I would love to pick up a 3.5-10x40 for a grand.