• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

new. need help

numnewguy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Maryland
Hey everyone,
I'm new to shooting, I am looking to get my first rifle, and making it a rimfire 22. I am leaning toward the Savage Mark II BTVS, but am not definite, so suggestions are welcome. My only requirements are under 500 and bolt action.

Does anyone have suggestions on a good affordable scope for something along the lines of this rifle.

Re: new. need help

Glad to see you're getting into the shooting world, no better place to start that with a .22 rifle.

Like frog, I'm a CZ fan too, and you could get a 452 under $500, but optics would push you over that limit.

The Savage you listed seems like a great rifle as well, many here have gotten great results with that same model.

As for scopes, I usually run Weavers on my .22s because their repeatability is unmatched in their price range IMO. Some really like the Mueller APV line, and you always have the Nikons that are found on sale quite often.

For a $500 budget, here's what I would recommend if you're set on that rifle.

Savage MkII BTVS : $340
Burris 1" Deluxe rimfire rings : $33
Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 AO : $115

That brings the total to around $488, give or take 20 bucks or so. Should fit your budget and be a nice rifle.

When funds allow, I'd look into getting a bipod and a few extra mags.

I've gotten the best luck with the Federal bulk ammo, so that's where I'd start to get used to the rifle and work on your form.

When you've went through a brick or so, and start getting consistent groups at 50 yards or thereabouts, buy a couple boxes of premium ammo like Wolf MT or Federal GMM and see how your groups look.

I've heard great things about the online training here at Sniper's Hide as well, something you may want to consider.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Edit: I'd look around and try to find a used rifle in good shape, might come out way ahead in the long run that way.

+1 on the Savage MKII BTVS. I got one and top it with a Egw 20MOA mount (the two piece mounts with it were out of spec.)Egw 20 moa base is 40$. I put weaver tactical rings and a Tasco Varmit 6X24X44mm (I think 44mm) and it was like 70$. It's seems to work good on the rifle holds zero and has tracked just fine. But I would spend as much as possible on my optics. Just had to top it with something cheap after I got it. It now wears a Leopuld VX III long range scope but this want stay on it just until I build or buy a new centerfire target rifle.

One thing to check out is that Savage is announcing some new rifles for 2010 that include an accu stock that is stiffer with better bedding to go with the very successful accutrigger. There was a thread about it here, and they should be on the market now, and may be a great buy. I've also seen the Remington Model 5 for sub $189.