• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors *** NEW *** Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L & S .30 caliber Suppressors

View attachment 8467752
I thought I had it; but there is a cutaway out there of this can, a gen 1 Hyperion, that was cut at 12000 rounds of .260rem. You can clearly see that the coax passages that are clear in the photo above, are pretty jammed up.

Only example I've got.

And that I think 17-4 SS is a better material for hard use and longevity.
Was that 12k round Hyperion ever cleaned?

Reactions: mebgardner
I was told today by an older rifleman, that this .260 rem was the forerunner to the modern 6.5 CM.

12K rds of that would be a remarkable useful life.
You've never heard of .260 Remington before? Yeah, it's what should have been the 6.5 CM, but Remington's marketing team royally fucked up everything by giving up supporting the round WAY too soon, and it almost killed it completely, if it weren't for other brands and aftermarket brass companies making brass and dies for it.

The .260 Rem debuted in 1997 (the 6.5CM was released in 2007...10 years later), and it was almost DOA, because it was pretty much flopped by the year 2000, thanks to Remington's shitty marketing team. That said, if I remember correctly, the 6.5 Creed was a bit of a slow-burn at first, too... It didn't start getting really popular until about 2010...So, it took a few years to really gain some heavy traction, and you see how much it's soared since then. Had Remington just kept goin with the .260 Rem instead of basically killing all support and marketing for the round, it might have been where the 6.5CM is today, and the 6.5CM might not even exist.

I've always loved the .260 Rem, and still have one. It's a great round, especially with a modern 1:8 twist like the 6.5CM standardized for 6.5mm bores. And if you blow it out into a .260 Ackley Improved 40º it's a very badass round.

That said, I'm very much enjoying the efficiency and ridiculously low recoil of my custom 20" 7.5" twist Proof Research barreled .25 Creedmoor with the Berger 133 Elite Hunters. Video of it using my OCL Hydrogen-S 6.5mm can coming up in the next week or 2.

You've never heard of .260 Remington before? Yeah, it's what should have been the 6.5 CM, but Remington's marketing team royally fucked up everything by giving up supporting the round WAY too soon, and it almost killed it completely, if it weren't for other brands and aftermarket brass companies making brass and dies for it.

The .260 Rem debuted in 1997 (the 6.5CM was released in 2007...10 years later), and it was almost DOA, because it was pretty much flopped by the year 2000, thanks to Remington's shitty marketing team. That said, if I remember correctly, the 6.5 Creed was a bit of a slow-burn at first, too... It didn't start getting really popular until about 2010...So, it took a few years to really gain some heavy traction, and you see how much it's soared since then. Had Remington just kept goin with the .260 Rem instead of basically killing all support and marketing for the round, it might have been where the 6.5CM is today, and the 6.5CM might not even exist.

I've always loved the .260 Rem, and still have one. It's a great round, especially with a modern 1:8 twist like the 6.5CM standardized for 6.5mm bores. And if you blow it out into a .260 Ackley Improved 40º it's a very badass round.

That said, I'm very much enjoying the efficiency and ridiculously low recoil of my custom 20" 7.5" twist Proof Research barreled .25 Creedmoor with the Berger 133 Elite Hunters. Video of it using my OCL Hydrogen-S 6.5mm can coming up in the next week or 2.

I've heard of 260 Rem, but I did not know the history until this week, and I thank you for the lesson. I also did not know there was such a cartridge as .25 CM. I would like to understand more about it's history as well, maybe at the same time when you post up the planned video.

The conversation about .260 Rem started when I told them I was looking for a bolt gun to replace my 308 Win. Savage 110. They had various suggestions for more modern ballistics, including 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, .28 Nosler and .270 (suggested because of continued popularity and ammo availability). I'm still mulling that, but I'm getting off topic here and so I should take this up on a different thread.

I've heard of 260 Rem, but I did not know the history until this week, and I thank you for the lesson. I also did not know there was such a cartridge as .25 CM. I would like to understand more about it's history as well, maybe at the same time when you post up the planned video.

The conversation about .260 Rem started when I told them I was looking for a bolt gun to replace my 308 Win. Savage 110. They had various suggestions for more modern ballistics, including 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, .28 Nosler and .270 (suggested because of continued popularity and ammo availability). I'm still mulling that, but I'm getting off topic here and so I should take this up on a different thread.
Not really a story that I'm aware of for .25CM... But someone decided to finally start making heavy .257 bullets, and then everyone else (big name bullet companies) finally caught on, and then people started necking up and down cases for .25 caliber... And the 6.5CM was one of them. The .25 CM has taken some fair popularity recently, so much so that Alpha Munitions even makes properly headstamped brass for it.

Not really a story that I'm aware of for .25CM... But someone decided to finally start making heavy .257 bullets, and then everyone else (big name bullet companies) finally caught on, and then people started necking up and down cases for .25 caliber... And the 6.5CM was one of them. The .25 CM has taken some fair popularity recently, so much so that Alpha Munitions even makes properly headstamped brass for it.

I don't see a SAMMI dwg for it, so I'm thinking .25 CM is a wildcat for now. I do see a .22 CM however.

I don't see a SAMMI dwg for it, so I'm thinking .25 CM is a wildcat for now. I do see a .22 CM however.
Well, if you buy brass and a reamer from the same people, who designed and spec'd both of them to work together perfectly...Most likely your specs will be matched pretty well...