• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New to LR shooting, looking for scope recommendation

BrianM87

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2014
All my shooting previously is with pistols and red dot/ low power optics on the AR platform, plus iron sighted .22 match rifle. I'm looking to break into some longer range shooting and know pretty much nothing about what scope to get.

Rifle: Remington M24, .308
Discipline: Precision rifle and tactical, but I plan on trying anything I can.
Distance: Up to 600 yards since that's all I have available around me, but having something capable of further out would be nice.
Price: Up to $1500. That's not a super hard limit and I can probably bump it to 16 or 1700 if necessary, I'd just prefer to stick around that.

Looking around a bit I feel like the math behind mils will be easier for me to do on the fly, but obviously you all know better otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Reactions: NiteQwill
I’ve more than happy with my Gen2 Razor... I shoot a couple PRS matches a month here in the North East, Spring into the fall. It’s done everything I could ask of it out to 1100yds.

Burris XTR III has surprisingly good glass and mechanics if you don’t need illumination, I think the SCR2 reticle works better in the 5.5-30 scope than it does in 3.3-18 FWIW.
You can also find some great deals on these scopes in the classifieds

I had the same question as you about a 2 months ago. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/2000-dollar-scope-budget.7036779/. I ended up going with a razor gen 2 with ebr7 reticle in mil. I have always been a moa guy but mil is faster to read and dial for me. I got it for around 1800 at sportsmansguide. code warpoet get you 20 more dollars off, hes a youtuber i watch. Check out the link. The guys on here are very smart on the glass side of things.

Solid Snake...

If you have a shop or a range near you I’d suggest going and checking a few out in person. I don’t know about everyone else but for me once you get around the upper mid to high level optics they’re all kind of the same and it boils down to a lot of personal preference. As long as the optic has decent glass, which it should once you get around the $1500 range, the differences are more bit picky imo. Like reticle type, or how tactile/audible the click is when adjusting turrets, mil vs moa (tho that’s at any price range), first focal plane vs second focal plane (if you’re shooting longe range I’d recommend first focal plane). I’d say get some hands on and find what you like, don’t get me wrong opinions on here can help a lot but take them all with a grain of salt because different people like different things.
That being said I went with an Athlon Cronus btr for mine and I’m pleased with it. I’ve gotten mixed reviews from people but I like it. The glass is nice and clear with surprisingly little mirage at distance. The tactile feedback on the turrets is nice, not too much and not too little. Can turn the turrets without looking and know exactly how many mils I’ve adjusted for. I also went with the aprs reticle and I’m decently pleased with it tho some days I do wish I went with the aprs1. Bottom line is it’s a great scope especially for the price. Are there better scopes out there? Definitely, but for the price range I think the Cronus 4.5-29 is in the runnings for a top contender spot.

Very much appreciate everyone's recommendations and suggestions. Unfortunately it looks like my scope budget has now effectively been cut in half Due to a non paying bidder on gunbroker. So...$800? Is this even practical?

Very much appreciate everyone's recommendations and suggestions. Unfortunately it looks like my scope budget has now effectively been cut in half Due to a non paying bidder on gunbroker. So...$800? Is this even practical?
MidwayUSA has the Bushnell DMR on sale right now for like 900. I shoot with a few guys that use Viper PST Gen 2 and do well.

I had that Viper PST on my want list for a while. Some great reviews on Youtube, Vortex warranty, and nice reticle choices. It's also a pound lighter than the Razor, if that matters. I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

Exactly the price I can afford now that the extra money is gone, Vortex has treated me well in the past when I beat the crap out of one of their red dots, and I love my viper HD binoculars from them.
[/QUOTE]
Sometimes our choices are limited by our budget. Viper glass is no slouch. You'll be happy with it. I get beat by a guy I shoot with it at matches all the time. My Razor don't get me more impacts cuz it cost more or it's better glass.

I just suck most of the time 🤣