• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes NEW! USO's CQB reticle

Re: NEW! USO's CQB reticle

Ooohh, that's a great comparison/explanation. I can't wait to get mine and exercise it...

3Gun Application: And the 300 yard/meters and in comment works well. One zero, aim and send it.
Targets 350 yds+ I can handle holding over/dialing. I will have ranged the targets during walk through. The getting into position, target acquisition time, etc. that we typically encounter on those stages can afford the hold over/dial time especially if the improved overall design vastly improves first shot hits (I'm counting on it).
Great stuff, Doc.

So to throw a 3 gun comment in here (since it was mentioned that this was a 3 gun targeted model), while the 1.5-6x is useful for open shooters that mount a secondary red dot for close in shots, the larger bulk of shooters are in the tactical class that only allows 1 optic. What I'd really like to see from USO is a true 1-6x with this reticle capable of red daylight illumination and covered mil knobs.

The 3 gun shooters are all gravitating to true 1-4x scopes like the Meopta and new Burris and the real bleeding edge folks are dropping coin for the Swarovski 1-6x. I've had a chance to get behind the Swarov and must say it is quite a nice 3 gun setup.

Just pointing this out as a possibility for USO. I believe the perfect 3 gun scope does not yet exist (even including the Swarov although that seems to be the bleeding edge at the moment). From my experience, a true 1-6x, red daylight illuminated, mil based reticle with covered knobs and a cat-tail zoom ring would fit the bill as my perfect 3 gun scope. That would wrap in both tactical and open shooters as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll be starting up a group buy in the very near future.
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any way these could be made in MOA?

Sweet reticle for mils though!!

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh </div></div>

Sure, got $1K? We'll even name it after you
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

OUCH Muther Phuquer!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, but it needs to be "Frank tested"
grin.gif
</div></div>

USO has a known torture tolerance...

uso-1.jpg

uso1.jpg
</div></div>

Some user experience input.

OK, I got my C2 reticle 1.5-6 back in Feb and have been using it on a 3-gun (Open) AR since. About 4 matches, good amount of practice (2K+ rounds). Per Mattmcg's comments, it's important to note that I'm an Open class shooter so I also have a Jpoint red dot mounted at 45 degrees for close in hosing. That being said, although I'm sure true 1x would be better for close in work, I have used the 1.5x setting in a few scenarios and didn't feel a speed compromise. The TacOps guys may have a different view for sure and the 1.5x may limit the acceptance within the biggest class of 3gun shooters. Basically, I agree with Mattmcg that if it were a 1x-6x, USO would be nailing it for both mkt segments.
Like many others have done, I likely will get a cattail made for this scope to speed the power zooming mid-stage.

Optics on this scope are great. I love the FFP and believe Doc got the reticle size just right for 1.5x and 6x power. As a LR shooter, having a mil-based reticle and matching turrets (I went with the EREK) is just much more familar for me. That way, I just create a different dope sheet when tweaking loads instead of the laborious process of confirming stadia hits (which never seem to line up for me with the out-of-the box claimed holdovers).

My primary reason for upgrading to the USO over my former Trijicon TA11 is that 3.5x was just not enough for my eyes when confronted with 350-600 yds shots that we often shoot in CO/NM. Especially when the targets are hidden in shaded areas. At the JP RockyMtn match, my expectations were fully realized.
On the long range rifle stage, we had targets from 200 yds out through 600; engaged 2x from two positions. Knowing my JBM dope, I dialed to an intermediate range (I believe 300 yds) and then used holdovers accordingly. OK, I didn't go one for one as my barrel was barely touching the side of a pallet on the second position. It took me a few shots to realize that and correct.
And, simply due to my limitations, I did dial up (mid-stage) for the 600 yd bonus shot. Next year I will definitely hold over for this as it obviously ate up time.

USO CS: a week and a half before the RM, I noticed my scope brightness/resolution was degraded. Some liquid contaminant had seeped into the front objective. I tried to clean it myself but it was on the inner surface of the two forward lenses.
In a panic, I called USO and fedEx'd it back (still in my LaRue mount) as I wouldn't have time to remount before the match. They were completely understanding about the mount situation and my limited time. They turned the fix around (replaced the front objective) and shipped it back to me within two days. This was done GRATIS, btw. And, I fully admit(ed) the contaminant issue could have been my fault. This was a great customer service experience.

I'm very pleased with this purchase -- it is an excellent product made by an excellent company. Many thanks to John and Doc (and Becky and CS crew) on this one.

K2,

Nice write up! Got pics of your rig?

OBTW, a conventional cat tail will not work as the USO has a 270* throw
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Denny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to get one of these. I like the green illumination. I think this is the first quality scope I've seen with green illumination. Sweet piece. </div></div>

I have one ready to go. Shoot me a line.

Cheers,

Doc

Got my USO C2 about a week ago (thanks Doc). 1.5-6 with Green Illum and C2 Reticle. 30mm. Still waiting for a Larue Mount for it so I can mount it on my patrol rifle.

It's replacing a 4x ACOG with Docter red dot. I like the idea of being able to move from 1.5X CQB to a longer range scope.

First impressions are 'handheld'... the reticle and clarity are first rate like all USO's And I like the C2 reticle a lot. Very nice piece of kit.

One thing I like about the Illum on this scope is it's bright enough in sunlight to use almost like a red dot... really can't miss the cross hairs. At the same time, the illum dims to almost nothing at dusk so doesn't wash out targets at dusk.

I think I need to try putting a PVS-14 behind it...

Short version: another gem from USO... Pictures coming after I get it mounted.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hey Doc,

Cattail: hmmm. I was going to ask Cdrissel this weekend to see if he can machine one for me. I'll be sure to ask about the 270 degree throw. I'm assuming that would limit how long the lever portion can be? Here's the ones that he's made thus far -- no USOs on his menu. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83589

Pics: My AR is a competition tool so it's not terribly pretty by any means. But I'll throw a picture up tonight after cleaning it for matches this weekend. Of course, the USO in LaRue mount is pretty.

Illum Reticle: OK, so here's my take on the illum reticle. I have the green one as well but I've only used it in comp maybe once (it's very cool though). And this is from a long-time, Cmore spewing, RedDots are king IPSC guy. Just like in the LR game, it's nice to have it for those occasional situations where you need it but I find that the USO is bright enough with great contrast with the reticle normally to where I don't turn the reticle on. And, in major 3gun matches as an Open shooter, it ends up being one more prep step. I had two cases on RM stages where we were using all three guns and I forgot to turn on a pistol (cmore) on one stage and uncover/turn on a burris fast fire on my Saiga on another -- major mental error when the clock is ticking. For me, that's four dots to turn-on/un-cover for one stage + popping USO covers. It just gets to be too much to remember some times. I'm doing good if I at least pop the lens covers on the USO and get my secondary dot cover off on the AR.

K2,

You can do one (regular size) but you'll either give up access on the bottom end or the top end. Depending on your ring height and configuration you may be able to sneak a nub on it that will work. Depends on the configuration.

Concur with the stick being a tool. Mine are train wrecks compared to some that I see here.

Cheers,

Doc

OK, like I said, no safe queen by any stretch.
MSTN 18" with my buddy Henning's Thor comp (a good one, btw). Geiselle comp trigger, JP low-mass carrier, JP light buffer, USO with the C2 in a LaRue mount, JPoint red dot in Matt Burkett's 45 deg. mount. Very serviceable AR.
ARPic1.jpg

And, better shot of the optics set up.
ARPic2.jpg

NICE!!!!

Clean and well thought out no nonsense stick. I've got a thing for PRI tubes, smoooootthhh! How is the cheek weld with that stock and an optic?

You wouldn't happen to know the hole spacing for that JP mount? I've got an idea......

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay.....so, what's the idea?
smile.gif
</div></div>

It'll probably involve your garage
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I'd at least turn around the outboard "wing" on the Burkett mount so that it actually protects the JPoint. I can undertstand the inboard one being backwards to allow more finger purchase on the USO's power ring....maybe.

Doc, are you going to share with the world if the "idea" comes to fruition?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc, are you going to share with the world if the "idea" comes to fruition?
</div></div>

Sure. I just need to get a base to play with or at least some measurements. Otherwise it'll have to stay locked up in my "idea locker".

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay.....so, what's the idea?
smile.gif
</div></div>

It'll probably involve your garage
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>
We can do that, no problem!

I got other "ideas" that are head of the line for your garage
grin.gif
. I think I am read up enough to thread that tube. Got any threading cutters ground to 55* . Boy wonder is itching to "build something" so I may just give him his wish after the tube is attached.

'Bout time to get together.

Cheers,

Doc

Doc,
I'll grab the instructions on the Burkett mount and Jpoint tonight and see if specs are listed. I use some of JP's shims on mine and I remember seeing holes that work with JPoints, Doctors, I believe the Burris FastFire, etc.,i.e., I believe the hole spacing is fairly standard.

Cheek Weld: not very precise with the ACE stock for sure. But, like any other tool, you adapt. With an AR I find that I am bringing the gun to my face moreso than I do with my LR rifle (more akin to a "pistol mount" in IPSC). Especially on a field course where I am canted to 45 degrees for the JPoint, shooting close-ins on the move, and then immediately settle into some position for long range precision shots. Bottom line: it requires more muscle memory thru practice than with a Tac LR or hunting rifle. The Magpul PRS would be better but I like "light" for the 3-gun game.

Wings: ha, fair comment. I had originally turned them backwards during the initial install as I was finalizing the placement from from an ejection clearance perspective. And, I've never put them back on the right way. It's on the list...

DSCN2305.jpg

DSCN2308.jpg

I am running the SN4 1.5-6 with the JNG moa retical. It has the CQB capability and two minute deliniations. On the six power, I have used this scope out to 500 meters and on the 1.5 power on in your face targets. On my open rig I run a JP mount with a LaRue iron dot. On my tactical rig, I just run the USO SN4 1.5 -6. One of the finest all around scopes I have ever used for multi gun or tactical rifle.
I use the slim line turrets because I use the retical for hold over, under and 90 degree side prone. Rarely do I make turret adjustments.

Wings are on backwards...yes, they are. Installed them that way when I was finalizing position of the Jpoint. Ejection clearance issues and you can get at the windage adj screw easier with them on backwards and never corrected them. Just the protective wings, not the mount itself. I have since flipped the outboard wing.

Doc: on the hole pattern. I'll send you a PM.