• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

Re: New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

I got my Weaver scope mounted last night in an American Defense mount that Scott from Liberty Optics supplied. I'm going to ring steel with it this Sunday. First impressions are very positive.

Fit and finish are excellent. I really like the knobs. The push-pull lock is great and the re-zero is very easy without tools. Eye relief is very generous. It's built like a tank.

Clicks are audible, tactile, and not very firm. If the locking feature were not in place, the light force required to adjust the exposed turrets would be completely unacceptable. With the locking feature, it's a joy to use.

The glass appears excellent, but I really can't tell until I take it out and do some side-by-side comparisons.

In this mount, the magnification ring rides just inside the Matech BUIS. I can't move it forward any further due to clearance constraints with the BUIS. Eye relief at 3x is marginal (wants more distance). At higher magnifications, eye relief is just fine.

The American Defense sight is very nice. It took a while to adjust, but I have full confidence in the QD lever locking mechanism.

Below are a few pictures of it mounted on my Grendel.

DSC00462.JPG

DSC00463.JPG

--Rootshot

I'm really thinking about getting one of these scopes they look well made and you guys that have them posted some positive results. I will need this for a 300WM I hope Paul has good things to say when he gets to shoot his on the 300WM.

So who ever is going to mount the scope on a 300WM be sure to leave some feedback on how the scope takes the recoil.
smile.gif

One other question I have is how is the warranty ? Anyone have to deal with sending back a scope and how they go about taking care of the customers ? I know that they are Lifetime Warranty but so does Bushnell but from what I heard they try everything possible to pin it on the customers rather than a defective scope.

Thanks for any input.

Sure, the Weaver has a lot to prove from a tracking/durability standpoint, but I think it will do just fine in each category.

Looking at targets at 2000+ yards, the F1 is better optically and the sight picture is a bit more forgiving (I think the F1 is the best optic Nightforce has ever made, off the shelf) than the Weaver. BUT, is it over $1300 better? Such is subjective, but I would have to say, no way. You can buy almost three Weaver 3-15x50 FFP illuminated for the price of one F1. Such is a prudent strategy for most of us. I do think the Weaver is priced below what it should be. Good for us!

Get them whenever you can find them. We have a dozen on order, as well as a half dozen 1-5x FFP.....

Scott

Just ordered the Mil/Mil version from MidwayUSA, should have it in hand the middle of next week. Was going to go with the Vortex Viper PST and I have had one on order for a little while but I decided the Weaver more than fits what I need in a scope as of right now and is slightly cheaper. I will probably post some impressions up after I get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So who ever is going to mount the scope on a 300WM be sure to leave some feedback on how the scope takes the recoil.
smile.gif

One other question I have is how is the warranty ? Anyone have to deal with sending back a scope and how they go about taking care of the customers ? I know that they are Lifetime Warranty but so does Bushnell but from what I heard they try everything possible to pin it on the customers rather than a defective scope.

Thanks for any input.</div></div>

200 rounds and it's still holding zero on my 300 WM

I spoke on the phone with a guy named (removed) from ATK after my 4-20 tactical was replaced. He advised againt mounting these on a magnum caliber rifle. I just mounted mine on my AR10 I guess ill see how that goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR10 sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke on the phone with a guy named dale from ATK after my 4-20 tactical was replaced. He advised againt mounting these on a magnum caliber rifle. </div></div>

Just the 4-20? Or the 3-15 too? This would certainly turn a home run into a foul ball, right quick. This seems like it would be very important information to verify.

John

I should be getting my .300wm around the 12th or 13th, shouldn't be long after that for a range report.

1) I can't imagine any reputable company would build a scope not up to a .300wm, especially a scope clearly designed for tactical use...

2)recoil depends on a lot of variables - rifle weight, MV, bullet size, propellant charge. My rifle will weigh about 16lb , so recoil should be similar to a 9lb .308

3) Scott B at Liberty knew what I was going to mount it on.

4) None of the materials that came in the package had any restrictions, warnings or other limitations on use or caliber.

It seems a little disingenuous to categorically state some calibers are not suitable. I wonder if Weaver knows he's scaring off potential customers...

I agree with all your points Paul. I think if its true it cant survive on a 338lm then that should be stated in the specs.
I like weavers, they have exceptional glass for the money. CS was good, I did get a NIB replacement. got it zeroed today and I hope it holds up.

The 4-20 was one of the previous tacticals weaver made. I'm personally hoping that they made improvements durability wise with these new scope designs as money doesn't grow on trees around here. So far just playing with it everything looks good, no complaints at all, just waiting VERY impatiently to get my rifle back and get the scope zeroed.

BTW, Scott (LO), since you are in the business and out of complete curiosity in your opinion what, if it was you, would you price these scopes at? Nothing bad just curious.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR10 sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke on the phone with a guy named dale from ATK after my 4-20 tactical was replaced. He advised againt mounting these on a magnum caliber rifle. I just mounted mine on my AR10 I guess ill see how that goes. </div></div>

Don't get too excited here...ATK is a huge company, and the "glass" portion is a very tiny part of their business....the guy likely didn't know what he was talking about...caliber restriction is a slippery slope no manufacturer wants to go down..

Scott

Just emailed Weaver on this and asked them straight up if the tactical line was not recommended for "magnums" and specifically asked about the .338LM and .50 cal. I will post their response when it comes.

I just purchased the new Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR from the good folks at SWFA. (SWFA actually had one in stock!!!) I've had a standing order for the Vortex 4-16x50 for a short time, but I was losing confidence that I would see one any time soon.

This thread convinced me that the glass on the Weaver would be superiorto the Vortex PST, and by the sounds of it, the only thing I will be losing is the zero stop... I just hope that I never get lost in my dial moves.

Thanks for the good info guys. I'll let you all know how this Weaver performs on my 700P.

Well I sent an email and here it is:
"I recently purchased a 3x15 Tactical scope and now I am hearing concerns that a representative from ATK is not recommenting them for a "magnum" rifle. I know that term is rather open but are you able to provide any testing specs of what the scope would be capable of? Would it be out of warranty to mount it on a .338 Lapua Mag or .50 cal? Thank you for your time on this issue."

Here is the response from ATK:

"We GUARANTEE under our Weaver warranty they will withstand recoil. After further discussion with our product line manager this will include the 50 BMG rifle. Have no concerns with this
standing up to recoil, it is warranted against it and WILL BE COVERED-no questions asked for recoil. This will work excellent on all calibers including magnums and would be warranted. Warranty guidelines are attached."

Think that pretty much takes care of that issue. Mine is in transit right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased the new Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR from the good folks at SWFA. (SWFA actually had one in stock!!!) I've had a standing order for the Vortex 4-16x50 for a short time, but I was losing confidence that I would see one any time soon</div></div>

I did the same exact thing (other than getting the Weaver from a different vendor than my Vortex order) and will get it in a few days. I am so excited, hopefully have it mounted and be able to go zero the scope at the range in a weekend or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I sent an email and here it is:
"I recently purchased a 3x15 Tactical scope and now I am hearing concerns that a representative from ATK is not recommenting them for a "magnum" rifle. I know that term is rather open but are you able to provide any testing specs of what the scope would be capable of? Would it be out of warranty to mount it on a .338 Lapua Mag or .50 cal? Thank you for your time on this issue."

Here is the response from ATK:

"We GUARANTEE under our Weaver warranty they will withstand recoil. After further discussion with our product line manager this will include the 50 BMG rifle. Have no concerns with this
standing up to recoil, it is warranted against it and WILL BE COVERED-no questions asked for recoil. This will work excellent on all calibers including magnums and would be warranted. Warranty guidelines are attached."

Think that pretty much takes care of that issue. Mine is in transit right now.</div></div>

I was getting ready to call to verify the info and I guess you beat me. Well thanks for taking the time to do this
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread convinced me that the glass on the Weaver would be superiorto the Vortex PST, and by the sounds of it, the only thing I will be losing is the zero stop... I just hope that I never get lost in my dial moves.
</div></div>

In addition to the zero stop you will also be losing a superior reticle.
The positive turrets on the PST are also nice but it's kind of apples to oranges with the Weaver locking turrets.
I think we are lucky to have the Weaver and the PST to choose from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This thread convinced me that the glass on the Weaver would be superiorto the Vortex PST, and by the sounds of it, the only thing I will be losing is the zero stop... I just hope that I never get lost in my dial moves.
</div></div>

In addition to the zero stop you will also be losing a superior reticle.
The positive turrets on the PST are also nice but it's kind of apples to oranges with the Weaver locking turrets.
</div></div>

Wow! Now I feel like a real schmuck. Maybe I should return this POS Weaver, and wait for the Vortex.

I should have typed my response in <span style="color: #CC33CC">sarcastic</span> purple. I took all of the factors into consideration, before making my decision, and found that I would only regret the lack of a zero stop.

i looked at both reticles and wouldnt necessarily call the vortex superior just different. the new weaver reticle has 1/2mil hash marks. i just ordered the weaver and recently shot another members 4-16 PST. i thought the glass was excellent in the PST but i have yet to have a weaver optic let me down.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i looked at both reticles and wouldnt necessarily call the vortex superior just different. </div></div>

If you ever have to use your holdover at 1500 or 2000 yds., you'll understand why hashes are superior. However, the Weaver 3-15 has over 30 mil internal elevation... for my .260 it would probably be adequate for the useful range of the rifle, *without* holding over.

Rabbit trail: Weavers website says the center crosshairs are 15% thinner... can any of you guys who own one actually see the difference?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i looked at both reticles and wouldnt necessarily call the vortex superior just different. </div></div>

If you ever have to use your holdover at 1500 or 2000 yds., you'll understand why hashes are superior. However, the Weaver 3-15 has over 30 mil internal elevation... for my .260 it would probably be adequate for the useful range of the rifle, *without* holding over.

Rabbit trail: Weavers website says the center crosshairs are 15% thinner... can any of you guys who own one actually see the difference?

John </div></div>

Well mine is going on a 308 so I won't be shooting those kind of distances and I think the Weaver reticle is fine on the new 3-15x50, the holes in the mildots with the EDMR reticle should help a lot with long distance shots on tiny objects at high magnification. I think I would maybe like the Vortex reticle slightly better but not by much.

Hollow mildots sounded a lot better in theory than I found them in practice, but to each his own. I strongly favor a hashed reticle, but have managed to make even a standard EMD work. If the PST 6-24 does not meet my expectations, it will probably get replaced with one of these, despite the "horrible reticle".
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hollow mildots sounded a lot better in theory than I found them in practice, but to each his own. I strongly favor a hashed reticle, but have managed to make even a standard EMD work. If the PST 6-24 does not meet my expectations, it will probably get replaced with one of these, despite the "horrible reticle".
wink.gif

John </div></div>

Haha, fair enough. Sure you will be very happy with the PST, I know I would have been if I could actually wait for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i looked at both reticles and wouldnt necessarily call the vortex superior just different. </div></div>

John </div></div>

I never had a weaver until I bought this one. I do have a Vortex Crossfire which is a standard mildot. Comparing the reticle thickness even at the same power the weaver is much much thinner.

I personally like the new weaver reticle, its basically a gen 2 mil dot with open mils. I looked at and was leaning toward the PST before I heard weaver was even designing this scope. Don't believe I'll be missing anything and with 31.2 mils of travel really don't see the need to hold over for elevation unless I'm feeling bored.

Rootshot, might want to talk to weaver about the turrets unless you don't care about the feel. Mine are very noticeable from click to click. Not too audible but tactile and no over/under travel. Lines up perfectly every time. Mine won't move unlocked unless I deliberately move them with a good amount of force. Bumping them won't move them at all.

Still curious what Scott (LO) would price this scope at if it was his to price. Interested in his thoughts on that matter.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Still curious what Scott (LO) would price this scope at if it was his to price. Interested in his thoughts on that matter.

Flyingbullseye

</div></div>

Why does this matter to you?
MSRP on Weaver's site is $1190 if you are unaware.
I would be very surprised if anyone could sell them for anything even close to that.
It's a WEAVER. I repeat, WEAVER.

They have a lot to prove in the tac market, IMO. Good for them for introducing (and improving) this line of scopes at a reasonable price point.

Out of morbid curiosity, I bought one.
Have not mounted it, and probably wont, but here is a brief synopsis:

Glass is nice, chromatic aberration is less than comparable new releases, resolution and depth of field are fair. Illumination and turrets work well. Not a bad starter ffp optic.

It is still a WEAVER.

Im pretty much sold, I think this would make a great scope to bounce around a few different sticks I have sitting around. Features and price are just right, and its good to see more companies coming out with a reasonable priced ffp mil/mil options here in the last few years.

Personally I liked the weaver reticle better than the PST. I prefer the dots at 1 mil and hashes at 1/2 mill. The first FFP I had was all dashes with the half mil only slightly narrower than the full mil. When in a hurry I had to take an extra second to make sure I was using the correct mark. A couple times I used one hash when I meant to use another. If I need to transition from a close target to a long target and need 4.5mil its much cleaner for me to find the correct mark on the reticle.

I saw the hollow dots on the Weaver and consider it a non issue, I figure the worst case scenario is they dont add anything. The only minor issue I saw was the lack of any marks until 1 mil. I have frequently used the half mil marks as a minor refernce to a quick hold off for wind. I find getting a good location for adding .2-.3 mil is easier with the hash vs going right to the dot.

Personally I liked the weaver reticle better than the PST. I prefer the dots at 1 mil and hashes at 1/2 mill. The first FFP I had was all dashes with the half mil only slightly narrower than the full mil. When in a hurry I had to take an extra second to make sure I was using the correct mark. A couple times I used one hash when I meant to use another. If I need to transition from a close target to a long target and need 4.5mil its much cleaner for me to find the correct mark on the reticle.

I saw the hollow dots on the Weaver and consider it a non issue, I figure the worst case scenario is they dont add anything. The only minor issue I saw was the lack of any marks until 1 mil. I have frequently used the half mil marks as a minor refernce to a quick hold off for wind. I find getting a good location for adding .2-.3 mil is easier with the hash vs going right to the dot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Flyingbullseye

</div></div>

Why does this matter to you?
MSRP on Weaver's site is $1190 if you are unaware.
I would be very surprised if anyone could sell them for anything even close to that.
It's a WEAVER. I repeat, WEAVER.

They have a lot to prove in the tac market, IMO. Good for them for introducing (and improving) this line of scopes at a reasonable price point.

Out of morbid curiosity, I bought one.
Have not mounted it, and probably wont, but here is a brief synopsis:

Glass is nice, chromatic aberration is less than comparable new releases, resolution and depth of field are fair. Illumination and turrets work well. Not a bad starter ffp optic.

It is still a WEAVER.
</div></div>

Don't get your panties in a knot. I'm not calling Scott out just curious what he would price it at since he mentioned it a couple of times. I know the MSRP and "its just a weaver." If you don't plan on using yours just send it back or sell it and go do whatever it is you do.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is still a WEAVER. </div></div>

Don't really see how that matters as long as it performs as well or better than similarly priced optics. No one is pretending this is a NF, USO, or SuB scope.

My point, obviously lost on he unwashed, is that weaver will have to prove their gear to this market and that the price is fair for it's introduction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point, obviously lost on he unwashed, is that weaver will have to prove their gear to this market and that the price is fair for it's introduction. </div></div>

Could have made your point without being condescending, just saying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have typed my response in <span style="color: #CC33CC">sarcastic</span> purple. </div></div>

Yeah me too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bazgab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is still a WEAVER. </div></div>

Don't really see how that matters as long as it performs as well or better than similarly priced optics. No one is pretending this is a NF, USO, or SuB scope. </div></div>

Lets remember that these scopes are made by LOW, who also makes some of the NF scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperSGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bazgab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is still a WEAVER. </div></div>

Don't really see how that matters as long as it performs as well or better than similarly priced optics. No one is pretending this is a NF, USO, or SuB scope. </div></div>

Lets remember that these scopes are made by LOW, who also makes some of the NF scopes. </div></div>

Yeah, I forgot, what was it again that was so terrible that we should hold it against Weaver forever and not let them off the hook unless they do something to totally redeem themselves?

Mine came in today, really happy with it so far but I don't have it mounted up yet. The reticle and illumination are nice, really like how the green looks though it is harder to see in bright daylight compared to the red as others have mentioned. I know it was mentioned that the Super Slam sunshade does not fit the 6-20x50 model but it does indeed fit the new 3-15x50 scope if anyone was wondering.

I had the opportunity to put about 200 rounds downrange with this scope from 100 to 550 yards. Clarity was exceptional. It was easy for me to spot my own shots on steel at 550 yards (mirage was mild). I've gotten used to the knobs and really like them.

After shooting, I put the rifle in the bag for a few days with the illumination on (accident). I was expecting the battery to be dead, but it appears that there is an auto-shutoff mechanism. I may be hallucinating...

Although I prefer a mil-line type reticle, I had no problem holding off using the reticle to make shots out to 550 yards. The reticle is well calibrated.

It may just be my perspective, but I also found that there is less twiddling with the parallax knob to manage parallax / focus. I'm not sure if there is a mechanical difference, but I did not find the need to adjust focus / parallax for targets ranging from 220 to 550 yards.

On my Grendel AR, the eye relief was a little too long for the mount I had it in. I had to return it and purchase one with cantilever that allows me to move the scope forwards a bit.

Overall, I am very pleased and definitely feel that it is worth the money.

--Rootshot

I just received one of the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 mil/mil scopes today. Initial impressions are favorable, but I would like more solid adjustment turrets. The turret clicks are precise, but they turn much easier than a Nikon Tactical or SWFA SS. The locking feature requires a slight rotation of the turrets before they will lock, but the amount of rotation is very small.

I compared the Weaver to a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 and a SWFA SuperSniper 3-9x42 all set on 9x this evening. Flare was similar between the three, with the SS being the best of the three and the Nikon the worst. SS has the most forgiveness of eye position, followed by the Nikon then the Weaver. The long eye relief of the Weaver makes it sensitive to eye position. The Nikon had an odd reflection/glare when out of position, which I did not see in the other two.

I'll add more when I am able to try these out in daylight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cronscript</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just received one of the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 mil/mil scopes today. Initial impressions are favorable, but I would like more solid adjustment turrets. The turret clicks are precise, but they turn much easier than a Nikon Tactical or SWFA SS. The locking feature requires a slight rotation of the turrets before they will lock, but the amount of rotation is very small.

I compared the Weaver to a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 and a SWFA SuperSniper 3-9x42 all set on 9x this evening. Flare was similar between the three, with the SS being the best of the three and the Nikon the worst. SS has the most forgiveness of eye position, followed by the Nikon then the Weaver. The long eye relief of the Weaver makes it sensitive to eye position. The Nikon had an odd reflection/glare when out of position, which I did not see in the other two.

I'll add more when I am able to try these out in daylight.

</div></div>
Great info. Let us know. I'm still on the fence about this scope vs the PST 4-16.

I did a quick comparison of the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 IR, Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 and SWFA SS 3-9x42 in overcast conditions. The Weaver and SWFA SS are very similar, both images are bright with saturated colors. The Nikon seems dull by comparison, not bad, but colors are somewhat muted. I didn't notice anything else obvious, but I was hand holding the scopes, so I couldn't do a good comparison of image sharpness or resolution.

I've not looked though any top tier glass so I can't compare to really high end scopes, but both the Weaver Tactical and the SWFA SS are better than anything else I've used. The SWFA SS is more forgiving than the Weaver and has a larger field of view, but the Weaver offers more magnification and an illuminated reticle with the same image quality.

After using the Weaver turrets again, I think I like them for what they are. They are a trade off between solid tactical turrets vs easy to spin turrets. Just leave them unlocked while shooting.