• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Winchester Gun Safe Problem

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm putting it here. My wife went and bought me a Winchester 24 Gun Safe for Father's day. After conning my buddies into helping me get it in the basement, I tried to set the combination. I went through the instructions that came with the safe. I did this with the door open. I had thought it had taken the new combo so I closed the safe. Now I have a 500 pound paper weight because I can't get the damn thing back open. I've tried entering the default combo and the new combo multiple times with no luck. I've even tried to enter a new combination. No go. Does anyone else have this safe and has anybody had this issue? I'm going to install a new battery this afternoon and see if that helps. Thanks for any ideas.

Adam

Not sure if you might have locked the manual in the safe, but just in case:

http://winchestersafes.com/faq.aspx

peradure.jpg

azu3upy6.jpg

6yta6yru.jpg

A co worker recently bought a Winchester safe and the thing locked up, wouldnt open with all his guns inside. Luckily his duty gun was in the bedside safe.

Winchester responded quickly and dispatched a safe guy to his house. My friend bwasnt impressed with the safe guy he kind if hacked the jobdrilled into safe, used tools that marred the finish on the spin handle. When the safe guy was done the safe worked but the spinner now had excessive play and it just wasnt what you want in a new buy.

He called Winchester and they sent him a better grade replacement safe on their dime.

My hear say story summarized - Winchester backed the product but my friends opinion is he wouldnt do it again.

I'm in the same boat as your co-worker, pmclaine. My local lock Smith will be out to fix they lock in the next week or so. I'm not too impressed with the quality of the lock, but the customer service is right up there.

Tell them you are not happy.

My co worker ended up with a better model safe for his troubles.

If you have a choice in locks don't get an electronic. If the offer S&G dials you will be better off.

I have one of these as well. Never had a problem with it, but I am pleased to read about how well their customer support has been.
    Sounds like a I chose a good product and a good company.

So the Safe Tech paid me a visit yesterday. He spoke to Winchester and they told him it was probably a faulty key pad. He then removed the old key pad and in the process, ripped two of the four wires out of the electrical connector attached to the circuit board. He was able to find another connector on a cable in his van and we, yes I said we, were able to splice the new cable to the old cable with the new key pad. After doing this, we used the original code (1-2-3-4-5-6) to get into the safe.

Safe guy then replaced the old locking mechanism inside the safe, and then installed a new key pad. He stripped out one of the screws on the new key pad, so he gave me a new keypad, which supposedly is a big improvement over the stock one, and it also looks nicer too.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm pleased with the Customer Service from Winchester Safes, and also with Lincoln Lock and Safe.

So the Safe Tech paid me a visit yesterday. He spoke to Winchester and they told him it was probably a faulty key pad. He then removed the old key pad and in the process, ripped two of the four wires out of the electrical connector attached to the circuit board. He was able to find another connector on a cable in his van and we, yes I said we, were able to splice the new cable to the old cable with the new key pad. After doing this, we used the original code (1-2-3-4-5-6) to get into the safe.

Safe guy then replaced the old locking mechanism inside the safe, and then installed a new key pad. He stripped out one of the screws on the new key pad, so he gave me a new keypad, which supposedly is a big improvement over the stock one, and it also looks nicer too.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm pleased with the Customer Service from Winchester Safes, and also with Lincoln Lock and Safe.

Like you my friend was happy with Winchesters responsiveness.

His bitch was with what you experienced - the subcontract tech.

In his case something mechanical failed inside the door that required the tech to drill the mechanism. After he was done the spin handle had fore and aft play and the finish was damaged - used water pump pliers without protecting jaws.

Just a total abortion on the part of the service tech.

If you are happy with your safe as it is now keep it. If any of this will wear on your mind tell Winchester you are unhappy.