• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Newbie gear list suggestions

lrkcs332

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Hello guys. Just getting started with all of this and I am wondering what kind of gear you all suggest for a newbie? What is all of the essential gear? Or something you have found to be most helpful that may not be so essential to everyone else? Thanks for all of your help guys!!

Re: Newbie gear list suggestions

I just started as well. So my listnis going to be shorter than some of the more experienced guys here.
Data book for your rifle ( I just got a storm and really like it)
1.Rear bag (picked up a TAB)
2.good sling (makes caring a heavy rifle a lot better, plus helps if you need to sling up and use it for support. I went with TAB on this as well
3. Shooting mat(still haven't got a new one yet. Right now I am using a creedmor mat from when I used to shoot high-power. I wish it was a bit smaller, and water proof.
Thats really the only things you need. stuff will come up that is nice to have. Like a nice bag, a small stool, a tripod. Remember nongear is going to make you a better shot, practice will be your best spent money.

I keep a pack of smokes and a huge thermos of coffee on hand as my gear! but seriously small tools like allen wrenches and screwdrivers for your scope and rifle.

i think he means everything else except the rifle and ammo and bipod. i say just go to the range with the rifle and ammo and youll figure out what you need as you go along. make a list at the range i suppose. no need to drag a bunch of STUFF . just have fun.

I mean tools as well as other things aside from rifle, ammo and bipod. I think I have a pretty good idea after doing some research. Guess I could have done that first haha. Thanks for your help guys!!

There's a BIG list of stuff to have but If you're talking general tools for your range bag'd recommend a Borka M3 Torque wrench kit, a Swiss Army knife, a good quality lens cleaning kit (from a photographic shop), and an OTIS cleaning kit and a small screwdriver with changeable heads.

The smaller/lighter/more portable the better IMHO - I hate having to hire a couple of Sherpas to help lug the kit around!!
wink.gif

I also keep a micro towel and a good sized plastic carrier bag that is cut in half to protect the open action in my bag (as I shoot in the rain quite often over here!!)