Newbie Reloader...Primer Help...

smokey24_24

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
I am brand new to reloading and I'm anxious to get started. I've picked up the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit, a couple pounds of H4350 and Hornady 143 gr eld-x for 6.5 Creedmoor. I have some Sellier and Bellot brass that I want to make use of and reload. I can't seem to figure out how to tell what primers I would need for that brass. I looked on the SB website but didn't find anything definitive. Anyone know if I need Large or Small Rifle primers for that brass? Also I only seem to see Magnum primers available...what is the difference and Standard and Magnum? When would I need Magnum....or not? Thanks!!

I am brand new to reloading and I'm anxious to get started. I've picked up the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit, a couple pounds of H4350 and Hornady 143 gr eld-x for 6.5 Creedmoor. I have some Sellier and Bellot brass that I want to make use of and reload. I can't seem to figure out how to tell what primers I would need for that brass. I looked on the SB website but didn't find anything definitive. Anyone know if I need Large or Small Rifle primers for that brass? Also I only seem to see Magnum primers available...what is the difference and Standard and Magnum? When would I need Magnum....or not? Thanks!!

Magnum primers are designed for cases with large capacity charges so that it all get ignited properly (you might think of them as a "hot" load. Basically, they have the same dimensions as their counter parts. I'd say you really do not want to use a Magnum primer in your 6.5 CR, unless you're using ball powder in really cold temperatures.

Right now, there's a shortage of supplies all over the place, so you might try and keep a close watch out for anyplace that may get some in. And when you see a place that got some in, you'd better jump on them quickly as many reloaders are having the same problem in finding such supplies.

Most likely your Sellier and Bellot brass is Large Rifle primers. Take your caliper and measure the diameter of the primer pocket as best you can. Small Rifle primers measure ~ .175" and Large Rifle primers measure ~ .211.

Last edited:
Magnum primers are designed for cases with large capacity charges so that it all get ignited properly (you might think of them as a "hot" load. Basically, they have the same dimensions as their counter parts. I'd say you really do not want to use a Magnum primer in your 6.5 CR, unless you're using ball powder in really cold temperatures.

Right now, there's a shortage of supplies all over the place, so you might try and keep a close watch out for anyplace that may get some in. And when you see a place that got some in, you'd better jump on them quickly as many reloaders are having the same problem in finding such supplies.

Most likely lyour Sellier and Bellot brass is Large Rifle primers. Take your caliper and measure the diameter of the primer pocket as best you can. Small Rifle primers measure ~ .175" and Large Rifle primers measure ~ .211.

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense. This is a new world for me but I am enjoying the learning process so far.

^^
This is right on. You shouldn't use magnum primers in smaller cases. I don't shoot in weather colder than 50 degrees or so and use BR-2s (non-magnum primers) in my 300 PRC. I find them to be more consistent than many magnum primers and they ignite perfectly well for me. In anything with less than like 60-70 grains of powder, magnum primers would be way overkill.

Reactions: smokey24_24
I use small rifle magnums in 223 and large rifle magnums {CCI250} in everything else. 22-250, 6 and 6.5 creed, 308, 280, 300wm. Never knew I was doing it wrong. :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 45
I use small rifle magnums in 223 and large rifle magnums {CCI250} in everything else. 22-250, 6 and 6.5 creed, 308, 280, 300wm. Never knew I was doing it wrong. :LOL:

I mean, I don't think any one is doubting YOUR loads or process lol. But it may not be the best advice to a brand new reloader. I use small rifle primers in my .38/.357 loads but I prolly wouldn't recommend it to a new reloader.

Last time I checked (a couple days ago), there are large primers available online. I'm sure they're getting more and more scarce. My local cabelas had 1k packs of multiple large primers. Powder valley has some Winchester LRP, better than nothing lol.

Reactions: straightshooter1
OP,

I also have about 50-75 once fired Hornady brass laying around I'll give you for cost of shipping if you'd like.

small flat rate is like $8 or something. PM with your address and I'll send you any extra stuff for 6.5 I have.

Reactions: Speed and lash
I mean, I don't think any one is doubting YOUR loads or process lol. But it may not be the best advice to a brand new reloader. I use small rifle primers in my .38/.357 loads but I prolly wouldn't recommend it to a new reloader.

Last time I checked (a couple days ago), there are large primers available online. I'm sure they're getting more and more scarce. My local cabelas had 1k packs of multiple large primers. Powder valley has some Winchester LRP, better than nothing lol.

You wouldn't recommend using magnum primers to new reloads? Why? If it might be needed at some point. Why wait until that point to test, and confirm data and/or possibly need to work new loads with a magnum primer? LOL.

Reactions: spife7980
You wouldn't recommend using magnum primers to new reloads? Why? If it might be needed at some point. Why wait until that point to test, and confirm data and/or possibly need to work new loads with a magnum primer? LOL.

Not in 6.5cm with large primer. I was simply addressing the exact brass and caliber the OP had. Theres nothing he can't load with regular large primers in 6.5cm. I don't see where he would need to rework anything. He's brand new to reloading and should ideally follow the book loads until he figures out his process more. Why complicate all of that by having him use Large Magnum primers meant for calibers twice the size of 6.5cm? Especially if he's going to work up near the max of the book for velocity, he should be using what the book tested.

Not saying he cant...but why would he? There are still large primers out there he can get a hold of. Just seems like one more step he'd need to worry about.

I agree. Magnums are often easier to find when all the small rifle and large rifle primers have become scarce. I tried them in my 6.5 PRC as I was close to the "59 gr rule" (129 Hornady Interlock w/ 58 gr H4831 and CCI 250) but for my load combo I saw a decrease in accuracy, 1.25" from 0.6" (Fed 210). Same velocity 3170-3180.

Not in 6.5cm with large primer. I was simply addressing the exact brass and caliber the OP had. Theres nothing he can't load with regular large primers in 6.5cm. I don't see where he would need to rework anything. He's brand new to reloading and should ideally follow the book loads until he figures out his process more. Why complicate all of that by having him use Large Magnum primers meant for calibers twice the size of 6.5cm? Especially if he's going to work up near the max of the book for velocity, he should be using what the book tested.

Not saying he cant...but why would he? There are still large primers out there he can get a hold of. Just seems like one more step he'd need to worry about.
Because the magnums are the only thing in stock right now and it won’t really hurt anything to use them?

I agree. Magnums are often easier to find when all the small rifle and large rifle primers have become scarce. I tried them in my 6.5 PRC as I was close to the "59 gr rule" (129 Hornady Interlock w/ 58 gr H4831 and CCI 250) but for my load combo I saw a decrease in accuracy, 1.25" from 0.6" (Fed 210). Same velocity 3170-3180.
I also reload 6.5 PRC. What is the “59 grain” rule?
Thanks, Josh

I also reload 6.5 PRC. What is the “59 grain” rule?
Thanks, Josh

It's better classified as a rule of thumb, and the 59 grain could just as well be 60, 70, whatever. In this case, it's anything over 59 grains of powder should be using magnum primers, and anything under non-magnum. However, it doesn't take into account powder type, temperature, etc., so it's always best to test different things in the conditions you will be shooting in. As I mention above, I use BR-2s in my 300 PRC with 73+ grains of powder. According to the "rule" I'm way out of the box. But for the conditions I typically shoot in, I get better consistency out of these than I do out of the Federal 215M magnum primers I've tested.

Conversely, I just helped a friend get into reloading for a similar rifle - also 300 PRC. I recommended he do work up with 215Ms. Why? His is a mountain hunting rifle and he will be shooting in the cold where the extra potency of the magnum primers may be needed.

Reactions: Josh1978

Because like he said in the O.P. Magnums are all he can find.

Cold weather, I would suggest magnum primers. I believe the book does too.

Worry about? What is there to worry about?

It's better classified as a rule of thumb, and the 59 grain could just as well be 60, 70, whatever. In this case, it's anything over 59 grains of powder should be using magnum primers, and anything under non-magnum. However, it doesn't take into account powder type, temperature, etc., so it's always best to test different things in the conditions you will be shooting in. As I mention above, I use BR-2s in my 300 PRC with 73+ grains of powder. According to the "rule" I'm way out of the box. But for the conditions I typically shoot in, I get better consistency out of these than I do out of the Federal 215M magnum primers I've tested.

Conversely, I just helped a friend get into reloading for a similar rifle - also 300 PRC. I recommended he do work up with 215Ms. Why? His is a mountain hunting rifle and he will be shooting in the cold where the extra potency of the magnum primers may be needed.

Changing from one non-magnum primer to another can effect your SD. How do you know its magnum vs non-magnum that is the cause if the increased consistency?

Because like he said in the O.P. Magnums are all he can find.

Cold weather, I would suggest magnum primers. I believe the book does too.

Worry about? What is there to worry about?

He said he couldn't "seem" to find them...doubt he looked everywhere. I just looked the other day and there were a few online places that had regular large primers. I was just saying that I thought large primers, if he could get them, were a better option.

If the book says it for cold weather...then I was wrong there. My b. He also lives in Texas though...so doubt thats gonna be an issue unless he's using it for hunts in different areas of the country.

Well in my head... I envisioned a new reloader looks at his book, works up a ladder test and uses the advice given on here but with magnum primers and thinks he can go up the charts. Maybe he doesn't recognize the signs of pressure like a more experienced reloader...cause, well the book said its good. I didn't mean to say he CAN'T use magnum primers.

To the op: if you use a load manual (which you should if you're new to the hobby), it will have the recommended primer for every load listed there. You can experiment with different brands, but the manual will tell you large rifle, small rifle, etc. Read the manual and understand the process. If you don't understand something, read it again or come on here and ask. Good luck with finding your components, and welcome to the hobby.

Reactions: Josh1978
To the op: if you use a load manual (which you should if you're new to the hobby), it will have the recommended primer for every load listed there. You can experiment with different brands, but the manual will tell you large rifle, small rifle, etc. Read the manual and understand the process. If you don't understand something, read it again or come on here and ask. Good luck with finding your components, and welcome to the hobby.

What manual do you recommend for a newbie? My kit came with the Nosler Reloading Guide 8. I've been absorbing as much info as I can from that but I'll certainly pick up others that will help me along the way.

What manual do you recommend for a newbie? My kit came with the Nosler Reloading Guide 8. I've been absorbing as much info as I can from that but I'll certainly pick up others that will help me along the way.
The front section of that manual will teach you the process, and the load section should have the cartridge info. They should tell primer size, probably barrel length, twist rate as tested. Lots of good info. I have manuals for every brand of bullet that I load.

The over ruling statement is to test it in your set up.

Can you use magnums? sure, should you be? only way to know is test and work up. Loads may differ between standard and magnum primers but the same is true from brand to brand.

Small cartridges normally run standards with some guys preferring magnums for Ball powders or cold weather. Some claim better ES/SD with standards or magnums depending on their circumstances.

Larger Cases usually do run magnums but it also goes the other direction, a number of .375H&H shooters use standard primers as the case just isn’t big enough to justify magnums they say and they get better ES/SD with standards.

Me? I try to use recommended primer for the case. Try different brands but spend my time chasing all the other variables. Instead of adding another level of complexity.

Reactions: Gustav7