• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Newbie to the bolt action stuff ..help me decide

glockdan78

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Austin TX
Hi guys n gals, I am a long time shooter(mostly handguns and AR's) that is just getting the itch for a bolt 308. I have pretty much narrowed down the list to a tikka t3 scout ctr ($698) and a Remmington 700 ltr 308 ($890). I already have the glass because I found a great deal on a new trijicon 5-20X50 mil dot accupoint. Now I just need to get the rifle. I like certain things about both rifles. I think the T3 has a better trigger,has a pic rail,cheaper... and just looks better to me. The Remm has a nice fluted barrel, a much higher quality stock, and looks to be more robust yet lighter, and I would figure more aftermarket parts. My question, what does the remmington offer for the extra dough, that the tikka does not? Thanks for your input. I plan to use the rifle for target shooting and some hunting. Going with 308 because of the ammo price and availability for LE. Got he triji for $890 down from $1049 with a cabelas coupon, .... a little late now,.. but how do the trijicon accupoints stack up?

Re: Newbie to the bolt action stuff ..help me decide

google works wonders, im only saying this because i dont know much about the Tikka.
read up on both, find which ones suits your needs better and pick that one.
Personally i like the Remington series, just because thats what i grew up shooting and now shoot.

Well, one advantage I think the Remington has over the Tikka is the availability of parts. If you wanted to change the barrel or needed other parts, you could find them much easier with the Remington. Downdside to the Remington is the trigger (http://www.americas-watchdog.com/another-lawsuit-alleges-remington-model-700-misfire/). Make sure if you get the Remington, you have the new X Mark trigger (http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/xmark-pro-trigger.aspx). If you want, you can buy a new aftermarket trigger for about $250 or so. Remington LTR, which I am very familiar with, shoots pretty well. Barrell isnt bad, but could be better. You can expect about 1" groups with it or slightly less. I thought my 700P (http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm) shot better than the LTR. I have about 2-3,000 rounds in each rifle. You could also consider the 700 5R, which is about as much as the LTR and comes with a X Mark Pro trigger. Weight is comparable between the LTR and 5R.

I dont know much about the Tikka Rifles?

BTW, I have personally witnessed Remington Rifles firing when bolt is being closed or when safety is being disengaged. I have seen this 4-5 times and, in only 1 situation, was the trigger tampered with (adjusted by the shooter, which is what Remington blames the problems on). The X Mark pro trigger is an adjustable factory trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">google works wonders, im only saying this because i dont know much about the Tikka.
read up on both, find which ones suits your needs better and pick that one.
Personally i like the Remington series, just because thats what i grew up shooting and now shoot.
</div></div>
I have googled the crap out of each. Just want some opinions. Thanks

Go with 700, they have a tradition with the military and world class shooters. Its a great rifle and very customizable. I couldnt be happier with mine.

Since Tikka is made by Sako, they too have a military tradition.

The business of replacing the barrel is hogwash. A barrel is a barrel, it is a tube of steel with a hole bored through the center with rifling. Some barrels are better than others. ANY of the top names match barrels are excellent. It is threaded on on end to mate with the action. You can buy them with either metric or standard threads to go on a reming. or a tikka, or a Howa, or a mauser.

The Tikka has a very nice feel to the action. To me, it feels better than an out of the box remington. But that is completely subjective.
They are both good rifles, I think you would get better fit and finish on the tikka but far more aftermarket support for the Remmy.
The LTR is usually a very fine shooter, they have put out a turd now and again, but when you look at the quantities involved, your chances of getting a .5 MOA rifle are pretty damn good.

If you like the stock that is on the Remington better, then that may be your deciding factor. To upgrade the stock on the tikka will cost you several hundred dollars.

You will be very pleased with your scope, they have very nice glass, the only reason I did not get one was that they are SFP scopes.

I dont have any experience with the the Tikka, but I have a Remington 700 Police that absolutely loves Ferderal 168gr Gold Medal Match (1/2" - 3/4" 5 shot groups). I bought the rifle about a year an a half ago and love it. I know the police is different then the LTR but I have read that many people have had very similar or better results with the LTR. I think good equipment is very important, but nothing beats alot of range time to really learn how to shoot small groups. If your not to caught up on buying new, there are some really good deals hear in the hide from time to time. Good luck on the future purchase.

I guess I'm still not a bolt guy. I ended up buying a FNAR light barrel on a friends suggestion.$1099 at cdnn. After reading about them being sub MOA guns with 20 round capacity, I just had to pull the trigger.Maybe next yr. .....Thanks for the feedback though.