• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Newbie with scope questions Savage .338 Night Force, Burris, Reloading Hornady

Rstrong85

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2014
Good afternoon all,

I recently bought a Savage 110 fcp 338 lapua mag. Looking to get a scope and rings for it. im looking to get into the whole shooting world but I want to start hunting big game with my 338 along with coyotes. I think I have found the scope and rings that I want but I would like to know what ring configuration I need with my gun and the scope I want. The scope is a Nightforce NXS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 8-32x 56mm High-Speed Side Focus Illuminated 1/8 MOA Adjustments MOAR-T Reticle Matte. And rings are Optics Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte. My question is for the height of the rings. Do i get low, medium, high, or extra high? Like I said im new and want to get into the whole long range world but dont want to buy the wrong stuff at the get go. I want to get the right stuff the first time and not have to worry about if it is right. I also will have reloading questions later about 225gr Hornady lead and brass. What grains people are using.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

I would recommend you call Sport Optics. They can answer those questions for you. I use a ATACR on my 110 FCP .338 and it's an excellent optic and I would recommend it over the nxs. With your 20moa rail that comes on the rifle you will only have 25-30 MOA of adjust left if you zero at 100 yards. This will only alow you to dial out to 1000-1100 yards before you have to use holdovers. With the ATACR you get 120moa of travel where the NXS 8-32x56 only has 65moa. With my setup I have enough adjust to reach 2000 yards with no holdovers.

I would recommend you call Sport Optics. They can answer those questions for you. I use a ATACR on my 110 FCP .338 and it's an excellent optic and I would recommend it over the nxs. With your 20moa rail that comes on the rifle you will only have 25-30 MOA of adjust left if you zero at 100 yards. This will only alow you to dial out to 1000-1100 yards before you have to use holdovers. With the ATACR you get 120moa of travel where the NXS 8-32x56 only has 65moa. With my setup I have enough adjust to reach 2000 yards with no holdovers.

I don't ever have a place to shoot over 600 yards let alone 2000. I would like to be able to shoot 1000 comfortably. Thanks though.

I would say if you are set on NF grab up a 5.5-22x56 if that is the bell diameter you are looking for and pick your reticle and order some NF Medium UL rings. And if you do a little search you will see plenty on vortex optics. Just scoop up a gen 1 razor if you are looking at vortex as they are going for very good prices since the arrival of the Gen 2 razors. The razor is a great scope as is the NF. Cant go wrong either way.

Also one of the best optics I have used to date for the money would have to be the SWFA 5-20x50. I absolutly love it and you can catch them for some descent deals. I have a ton of different scopes and it is one of my favorites. Best of luck buddy.

I am going to go with the vortex pst 6_24 x 50 mm I was told to go with the burris xtreme mediums. Is this correct? I am ordering it all online and want to do it once. I will also be putting on the butler creek covers.