• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

newby - 6.5 question

Re: newby - 6.5 question

Redding dies, Forster Co-Ax press, RCBS electronic powder scale/dispenser combo, RCBS case trimmer, any brand vibratory case tumbler, corn cob media.

That should get ya started.

don't cut corners or buy cheap dies. Other than that any press will do. You don't really need a chronograph yet but I would recommand a good bullet puller and hope you won't need it.
take your time loading and avoid any distractions.

Solid advice given so far.

Dies:
I'm very happy with Redding dies. The Competition pack that includes the S Type Neck die (key, imo) and comp bullet seating die + body die is a nice way to get everything in one shot. Can save a bit if you don't want the micrometer adjustment on the S Type Neck die.
And, I definitely agree with the RCBS ChargeMaster reco. A nice unit plus do a search on the Hide for the "speed reprogram" on the ChargeMaster.
See link to Sinclair die set: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38267/Product/Redding_Type_S_Match_Neck_Die_Set__6_5x47_Lapua

I hope the OP appreciates the succinct and correct set of responses he has received so far. Outstanding, imho.

From that advice one could easily form a buy list and a week later have everything necessary to load better than match grade commercial.

I use RCBS, Redding, and Hornady New Dimension dies. No particular personal reason for any/either, and I use the basic F/L 2-die sets. Used with some imagination, they can still be very versatile.

The press is a questiion of convenience and precision. I seldom load my ammo in a fully progressive manner, but I still really like my Dillon RL550B, because..., wait for it..., it's quite versatile, too. It can be used to combine some single stage attention and progressive loading tehniques with real ease.

Only press I ever owned, bought it used nearly two decades back, never a regret.

Greg