• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Newish Rifle, Some Rounds won't chamber

insertgenericid

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri East
Hello 'Hide,
Lurker here, and the proud owner of a rifle recently back from GAP. I sent them my 700, and had it rebarreled with a 18" tight-bored barrel. I took it out to the range today, and while it shoots AMAZING, I repeatedly had a problem with rounds sticking in the chamber such that the bolt wouldn't close. I was shooting 175 SMK Run and Guns from Southwest Ammo.

Looking at the bullets, some looked like they had got caught up on the bullet, some looked like they were caught up on the rim. Is this a product of the tight bore? Or the ammo? Anything I should be doing to avoid the problem in the future?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Re: Newish Rifle, Some Rounds won't chamber

Little confused, are the bullets sticking in the chamber, or are you having feeding problems with the cartridges binding in the receiver?

With a tight headspace your bolt may be feel a little tight on closing, unless you can not close it at all. Then you may have an extractor issue

If you are having feeding problems, I would check the follower spring and make sure the follower is not canted to much to the front or back.

With an empty rifle, if you press on the front or the rear of the follower, it should not stick. It should pop right back up. If it sticks you have to tweak the spring.

If you have DBM, then I dont know what to tell you.

Lastly, you can always run some snap caps or other factory ammo through it and see if you have different results.

To the best of my knowledge, factory fresh LC brass.

Using the google, I think I found my answer in this thread:
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2738762

"We had a few get out that had small dings in the neck from a worn out neck-sizing die, making them hard to chamber and extract. This isn't a pressure problem. LC brass has very thick necks and any imperfections can make them hard to chamber or extract[.]"

I should know by now to just use the Google.

It sounds like some loaded with success and you had issues with others not chambering? is this a correct statement? If that is the case I would wager it was just a bad run of ammo they shipped out.

They are good guys and will listen to your concerns and look into them.