• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Next Scope

Nublet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
I am currently shooting a Leupold mark 4 m3 on top of a .308. I am thinking of stepping up to a NF 5.5 - 22 x 50.

My concerns are that the NF has a sfp...

I like the extra mag at long range...

My question is: Can I adapt to a different focal plane? And: Should I make the switch?

Thanks for the info,

Nublet

Re: Next Scope

Ahh, good point!

I am looking to get into completive shooting...

I was shooting tactically.

Not sure of any class at this point, am a noob at competitive shooting...

does that help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nublet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking to get into completive shooting...

I was shooting tactically.

does that help?</div></div>

Not really. Many types of completive shooting.

TRY THIS>>>>>>>> Sniper's Hide search engine

So you mean you were dressed in all black with high speed boots, doing barrel rolls and shit?

WTF does shooting tactically mean?

NF makes a better scope. FFP is the practical option for "tactical" comps.

Im not sure what you mean by "adapt to a different focal plane?" <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Most likely your MK4 is also SFP so you wont have any adapting to do</span>...

Check out IOR and Vortex Razor for lower priced FFP solutions also.

Nevermind, your MK4 must be a fixed 10x?

For those that were wondering...

I finally decided on the Nightforce 5.5 - 22 x 50.

I have to admit it was not an easy decision. After years of shooting an M24 I got to know the system well. I hate change. I have always been a firm believer in if it isn't broke, don't fix it. That is until now.

The biggest problem I had with the Nightforce 5.5 - 22 x 50 was the reticle is on the second focal plane. After more research I began to understand why it's that way. Imagine a reticle enlarged 22 times. No matter how fine it is, its going to be big. But, I realized it can be halved, or even quartered (thanks to cuffm4615 and the Nightforce Rep I talked to). So that excuse is gone. Plus, it's reticle and dials match... no more MIL / MOA ( I have to admit that I never even thought about it until recently. Recently I was sitting in a class and someone told me there were MOA reticles out there and I about crapped my pants. I thought, why don't I have one? Now have to start looking for a MOA slide scale to replace my MIL Dot Master. I love that thing).

So I figured if people were making mile and a half shots with it (even if he was a Canadian) it might be good enough for me.

I made the purchase and have to say "WOW". What a great scope!

As you say, no looking back!

See you all out there!

Nublet

Oh, to be fair, there is one thing I don't like about the Nightforce. When I change the magnification, the rear ocular rotates.

This causes my lens cap to spin... Not a huge deal, but sort of annoying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nublet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, to be fair, there is one thing I don't like about the Nightforce. When I change the magnification, the rear ocular rotates.

This causes my lens cap to spin... Not a huge deal, but sort of annoying. </div></div>

I hated that at first but now that I'm use to it I love it. Just can't use the caps.