• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes NF Reticles: Mil Dot vs MLR

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
After weeks of reading through the threads/reviews and just the website in general, I've decided that I'd like to go with the NF F1 FFP, Mil/Mil, Zero stop, HIGH SPEED turrets for my precision AR-10.

Now being that this will be my FIRST precision rifle and my FIRST time using a scope, I'm a bit conflicted over which reticle to get. I'm torn over the mil dot or the MLR.

Any opinions on the benefits over one vs the other? Are the Mil dots better than the graduated hash marks on the MLR? Hell, perhaps some of you guys that know better may think that this is too much scope for this rifle.

For the record, I'm not a sniper, operator. I'm not looking to shoot 5,000 yards or do any comps with it (not yet anyway). This is just a setup that I'm getting because for now I want to learn, do some target practice and eventually some hunting.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: NF Reticles: Mil Dot vs MLR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend the MLR2, which has just been announced. It's faster to read than the MLR.
</div></div>

+1
I'm waiting on one of these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No question the MLR2. Worth the wait. </div></div>

Any idea when the MLR 2 is supposed to make it's debut?

Downside to the MLR2 from what I'm reading is that only the center is illuminated making hold overs in low light more difficult.

I neglected to ask this in my original post but does the MLR make "learning" the use of the mil system and the scope itself any easier on someone like myself who has no clue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I neglected to ask this in my original post but does the MLR make "learning" the use of the mil system and the scope itself any easier on someone like myself who has no clue? </div></div>

The MLR reticle makes accurate measuring easier since its divided in 1/2 mil.

I have the mildot reticle. Its still a decent reticle, but like the others have said, MLR is a little easier to read in regards to the hash marks.

If i were to go back I would chose the MLR, probably even the new MLR2.

Only downside to an MLR is that the reticle is fairly thin and in some conditions difficult to see but that will be few and far between, and probably solved by illuminating the reticle.

To some a very thin reticle is a huge plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Downside to the MLR2 from what I'm reading is that only the center is illuminated making hold overs in low light more difficult. </div></div>

What I want to know is why the NF illum system is the way it is generally. I've got a 2.5-10x32 NXS and it's a great scope but the illumination is hideously bright on any of the upper settings and not even the very lowest setting is NV friendly. Significant flaring in both scenarios. Same applies to others I've seen like the 8-32x and the 3-15x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I neglected to ask this in my original post but does the MLR make "learning" the use of the mil system and the scope itself any easier on someone like myself who has no clue? </div></div>

A mil is a mil... Stop thinking in inches, ft or whatever unit other than what units your reticle is in. With matching reticle, elevation and windage units the ruler is in front of your eyeball regardless of milradian or MOA subtensions.

The NEW MLR2.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnRJinZaRPg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnRJinZaRPg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nightforce F1 with the <span style="font-weight: bold">NEW MLR2 Review</span> by <span style="text-decoration: underline">Mark Hartwell</span> from Storm Tactical.
Click this link to see more info in the NEW MLR2 Reticle.
a07bb170c4a36161aa1f8f4859c19794_XL.jpg