• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes NF SHV Question

loveha

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    Is the glass quality of the SHV as good as the rest of their scopes such as the NX8 line? The SHV line is described as an affordable line of scopes with fewer options without lowering the quality. I'm mainly looking at the 3-10x42 model C583. Nothing fancy, just their non illuminated forceplex reticle with parallax adjustment.

It's to replace a 1-8 NX8 from my 300BLK SBR that I only shoot subs from and hunt with. A little more magnification and more light transmission. The NX8 will go to my Sig 716.

Slowly converting everything to NX8's as I really like the Mil-XT and FC-Mil reticle. And since you don't need anything crazy reticle wise for shooting subs I figured the C583 was the cheapest option. It may show discontinued, but it's an option in the MIL-GOV-LE price list.

Had an SHV 4-14F1 that I sold to fund another project. Glass was good. I wasn’t fond of the zeroset. I was able to get consistent hits on 1moa steel targets at 866yards with my suppressed Larue OBR 18inch 308.

• Wow
    Reactions: deersniper
    The SHV is a good quality scope. We are running the C583 on a great sale for new and open box:

New and Open Box SHV 3-10x42mm SFP - Forceplex C583 reduced from $900.00 to only $749.99 new/$699.99 Open Box
    The SHV™ 3-10x42 riflescope is a perfect choice for those wanting value in a small package. The 3-10x magnification range and 42mm objective provide for a practical solution to a wide range of applications from target shooting to big game and varmint hunting.
    30mm bodytube
    Capped .25 MOA adjustments
    Side parallax adjustment (25 yards to infinity)

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
    Thanks everybody.
    I'm tempted by the open box @gr8fuldoug but new from factory with my discount is not much more. I am not in a big hurry for this scope and want to save for it rather than dip into my savings.
    Mention this forum and you'll get new at the open box price :)

I'm sure I speak for everybody here when I say I appreciate everything you do for us. It's not that I'm worried about it being open box, it's just I don't need the scope right this moment and would rather save what I can for it. I bought an open box BTR from you that looked new if I didn't know any better.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
    The only thing I don't like about the SHV F1 models is the open turrets feel really mushy... wish they were better for a $1000 scope.

But the glass quality is close enough to the NXS I couldn't pick it out in a blind test.

I like Leupold. Looked there as well, but overlooked the VX5 line. Little more than I wanted to spend, but I get illumination, and keep parallax adjustment.
    I feel like it would be wasted on a rifle dedicated to shoot 300BLK subs. So I am thinking, I'm going to put it on the 300WSM I'm building.
    Which was the whole reason I was looking for a scope, and this prevents shuffling scopes.

Their Customer service has always been stellar but I've only used them once so maybe that's not saying much. Obviously, quality is high.

Last edited:
    I like Leupold. Looked there as well, but overlooked the VX5 line. Little more than I wanted to spend, but I get illumination, and keep parallax adjustment.
    I feel like it would be wasted on a rifle dedicated to shoot 300BLK subs. So I am thinking, I'm going to put it on the 300WSM I'm building.
    Which was the whole reason I was looking for a scope, and this prevents shuffling scopes.
    For 300 subs I would take a hard look at the leupold 1.5-5 with the blackout reticle.

Reactions: USNavy06