Hunting & Fishing Night Hunting setup

T.Mihm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Houghton MI
This weekend, a few friends and I will be testing a night hunting setup to use for predators, raccoon, and possibly hogs. Our idea is to build a few light stakes with IR illuminators on them pointing to the kill zone. There will be a digital camera with zoom on a tripod, which will pick up the IR light and allow you to see the animal.

We're thinking either using this to pinpoint the location of the animal, and then doing sort of a "spot-n-shoot" with a floodlight. Or, mount a laser onto the gun, which can be seen in the digital camera and using that to aim the rifle.

Anyone think it'll work? I'll have a good idea after this weekend. I think with a good laser, it would be an awesome setup.

-Travis

Re: Night Hunting setup

Thats a great idea! let me know how it works. I have been toying with similar ideas by using cheap moultrie IR cameras the motion detection is nice cause when that IR hits u know theres something there. But so far im stuck in the same boat i know there there i can see them but cant shoot em. been having to thrown a scope mounted light on and make a snap shot but want a way to remain under the cover of darkness.

Quick update on this set up for those interested. We tested a 12 diode IR fish cam at night. Through the fish cam, we could see 15-20 feet, but our normal cameras wouldn't pick it up past 1-2 feet. We are now waiting on two 48-diode illuminators along with a full-spectrum IR digital camera. For budget reasons, we're shying away from a laser of high enough quality to mount to the gun.

Our new plan is to throw one illuminator over a bait pile or where we expect to see our game, and the second will be mounted to a tripod with the camera, for now. When we see something, whoever's not shooting will be looking through the camera and designating where to aim with a laser pointer.

Hopefully by the weekend of the 15th we will have everything set up to be taking night vision hunting videos. We have a raccoon control hunt set up with a neighbor with some land, and should be able to test the image quality and effectiveness for a hunting setup.

I will have access to a machine shop thanksgiving break, and as long as I get permission to work on personal projects I should be able to machine a stock mount for the camera, illuminator, and laser then.

-Travis

sounds like you have it all figured out keep the updates coming i would love to hear/sea how it really works.

also if you don't mind me asking, what kind of an investment was this setup overall. feel free to PM me

sounds like if you had a gen3 pvs-14 on your head you would shit at what you see. after having used nv of all sorts and knowing what it takes to aim and hit game at 50-200yds in the dark i think you are gonna have some issues. especially if you are trying to walk someone on target with an ir laser that cant see where they are aiming. this is my .02

I don't wish to stifle your enthusiasm either, but I suspect you'll wear yourselves out wollering that much crap around in the dark. I don't know your financial position but there is affordable NV technology out there sufficient enough to take game at reasonable distances in the dark. It's not Gen 4 but it's adequate and much better than those red varmint lights.

Admittedly I never understood why people feel it necessary to video such events, but if that's your thing then more power to you.

Expect some arguments among your buddies if one is going to direct a shooter with an IR pointer (who presumably can't see it) onto a target at distance using the view port of a video camera. Hell, that would be worth the video.

I would also suggest that whomever is going to be the shooter be able to load, unload, cycle, clear, and safety check their rifle blindfolded; especially if this is your first attempt at "owning the night". Good luck and be safe.

-Fret

If you haven't already done so, it would save you reinventing the wheel if you were to read the NODs discussions at the predator masters forums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
also if you don't mind me asking, what kind of an investment was this setup overall. feel free to PM me</div></div>

We're looking at around $200 with Camera, diode banks and laser. Very inexpensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after having used nv of all sorts and knowing what it takes to aim and hit game at 50-200yds in the dark i think you are gonna have some issues. especially if you are trying to walk someone on target with an ir laser that cant see where they are aiming.
</div></div>

The laser isn't IR, it's a normal red laser pointer. Testing we did with my Marlin .22 at 6x zoom on the scope shooting at cans designated by a laser pointer showed that with enough light around the target area to see the crosshairs, it's not all that difficult. 5 targets from 7-56 yards, and 5 first round hits. What concerned me is how much time I had to spend "finding" my crosshairs in the dark, and then putting them on target. Having a laser pointer shining at a small game animal for more than a few seconds without it noticing... easier on an empty Dew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suspect you'll wear yourselves out wollering that much crap around in the dark... I don't know your financial position but there is affordable NV technology out there...</div></div>

Our budget is whatever we have in our pockets at the time, and we're more looking for a project to do in our spare time than to spend a wad of bills on a Gen 2+ optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Expect some arguments among your buddies if one is going to direct a shooter with an IR pointer (who presumably can't see it) onto a target at distance using the view port of a video camera. Hell, that would be worth the video.
</div></div>

Thank you for your input, it will be taken into consideration, and we will be doing plenty of testing and seeing how things work before we test it on a hunt.

As mentioned, it will be a clearly visible to the naked eye laser . We will be testing how easy or difficult it is to laser designate a target in the dead of night using the IR light and a camera. From our last test, I've found that I can locate the laser through my scope fairly easily, but finding the crosshairs and putting them on the laser when there is hardly any ambient light takes more time. Once the eyes are adjusted to the lack of light, it gets easier.

Hopefully we will have the IR lighting and IR-spectrum camera to use by next weekend; it's taking longer than we thought. From the research we've done on the camera, it seems as though our pair of 48-diode illuminators will be more than sufficient to clearly illuminate a fairly large swathe of shooting area for view of the camera from significant distance.

Another update will follow over the next weekend.

-Travis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't wish to stifle your enthusiasm either, but I suspect you'll wear yourselves out wollering that much crap around in the dark.</div></div>

I forgot to respond to this. With all of us studying various forms of engineering, we will have the ability to (most likely, this will be our setup) wire the illuminators to smaller motorcycle/winch batteries and hook them up wireless so that all we will need to bring to the hunting area is the camera, the laser, a switch for the illuminators, and a tripod. A few pounds of gear thrown in the backpack shouldn't be a big deal.

For spotlighting with the IR, the battery and a few wires will be needed. What will happen then is I will probably fabricate a mounting bracket to go onto the tripod so that we can hook the battery pack, both illuminators, the camera, and possibly the laser to it. Would be pretty simple to carry into the field, especially with two people.

-Travis

popcorn.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Travis Mihm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... With all of us studying various forms of engineering, ...</div></div>

Now I understand that it's not as much about the destination as it is the journey. If you are experimenting with NV devices and consider getting diodes to build your own IR lumies or pointers, give proper consideration to the power levels and wavelengths you intend to work with; and be aware of the reflective properties of certain surfaces. You only get one set of eyes. Good luck and be safe.

- Fret

I tried a red laser at night once. When it hits brush, grass etc. it breaks up into multiple points of light, making it ineffective. An illuminated reticle would be helpful if your having trouble seeing your crosshairs. Sounds like a fun project, but you may wind up with NV gear if your serious about night hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get one of these with a red filter or they even make a IR filter for it I see.

I run one with red lens for predators.... works incredible !!

http://www.lightforce.net.au/products/po...untedspotlights </div></div>
how do coyotes and hogs react to the red light?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get one of these with a red filter or they even make a IR filter for it I see.

I run one with red lens for predators.... works incredible !!

http://www.lightforce.net.au/products/po...untedspotlights </div></div>
how do coyotes and hogs react to the red light? </div></div>

never hunted hogs, but very successful on the coyotes. much different then running a white light.

UPDATE -

After receiving our IR camera and one illuminator we had to test the setup out. Looks as though mounting a laser on the gun will be more difficult than just having a second person point. The laser came with an on/off switch as well as a push switch. From the looks of it, we will be mounting the illuminators at the bait zone, and then shooting from 30 or 40 yards away.

The picture quality of the camera is pretty sub-par, but for a $100 IR camera, it's expected. We will easily be able to see an animal at 40 yards, though the quality isn't like daylight. With a second illuminator pointed at a slightly different angle it should be clearer.

Overall I'm excited to see what the turnout will be like when we test it this weekend on targets at night.

-Travis

OH, and we did find some truth to what we thought was an old falsity. You actually can see through clothing if someone stands close to the IR bank...