• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2020?

They'd sell about 4 of those.

They have market research I’m sure and it would not be as big of a product as the tactical scope orientations for sure, but I do think it would sell more than you think. Though likely not enough to make them.

price would be a big hurdle but on different forums like LRH you still see guys willing to drop big money on SFP marches, NXS’s, SFP atacr s, swaro x5, Zeiss v6 because low light ffp fucking blows on game.

So everyone wants a Swarovski x5i? And for nightforce to do that it is going to be the same price as the swaro, and the swaro is still most likely going to have better glass.

So everyone wants a Swarovski x5i? And for nightforce to do that it is going to be the same price as the swaro, and the swaro is still most likely going to have better glass.
I never said everyone wants one, I even threw you a bone and said it’s likely they wouldn’t sell enough to be worth it and that I’m sure they know the market better than I do.

That doesn’t change that SFP alpha glass buyers exist, as much as this sight makes it seem like they don’t.

I never said everyone wants one, I even threw you a bone and said it’s likely they wouldn’t sell enough to be worth it and that I’m sure they know the market better than I do.

That doesn’t change that SFP alpha glass buyers exist, as much as this sight makes it seem like they don’t.
I was not talking to you. I didn’t even see your reply until I had posted mine. I was talking to the people bitching to nightforce.

Reactions: DangerRanger

The problem with Euro scopes are that they all suffer from one or more of the following characteristics that make them less appealing to hunters, especially when you’re considering spending $2k on a scope:
- huge objective that makes them sit too high
- MIL adjustments instead of MOA
- CW adjustments instead of CCW
- lack of parallax adjustment
- goofy reticle

Germans tend to design hunting scopes around hunting boars in the forest. That’s not what most North American hunters are doing.

The problem with Euro scopes are that they all suffer from one or more of the following characteristics that make them less appealing to hunters, especially when you’re considering spending $2k on a scope:
- huge objective that makes them sit too high
- MIL adjustments instead of MOA
- CW adjustments instead of CCW
- lack of parallax adjustment
- goofy reticle

Germans tend to design hunting scopes around hunting boars in the forest. That’s not what most North American hunters are doing.
Do you even know what the x5i is? Do you even care to research this stuff?

Reactions: plong
Do you even know what the x5i is? Do you even care to research this stuff?

Did you even read what I wrote in response to your suggesting the scope in question? Because it doesn’t seem that you did. ?

And I’m sure hunters want a 15” long scope with a 50mm objective, goofy reticle, and 2” tall turret on their 6 lb hunting rifle...

Did you even read what I wrote in response to your suggesting the scope in question? Because it doesn’t seem that you did. ?
It seems that your don’t care to look the specs up your self. The x5i has the 50mm objective, other than that it has moa, moar type ret nice ccw turrets, parallax and better glass than the atacr.

And I’m sure hunters want a 15” long scope with a 50mm objective, goofy reticle, and 2” tall turret on their 6 lb hunting rifle...
Most hunters do want a 50mm and good turrets. Goofy ret what you talking about? They have options for everyone.

Go spend a few minutes on 24hr Campfire or Rokslide. 98% of rifle hunters aren’t using a chassis rifle. The SFP NXS 2.5-10x42 is currently considered the premier hunting optic by that crowd. If they pushed it to x16 and gave it ED glass they’d sell like sunscreen in July.
I don't know about the 2.5-10 being considered "the" premier hunting optic, but it might be considered a popular choice. You also have to understand that many hunters are not properly educated when it comes to scopes and how to use them effectively. "Point Blank Range" is most likely still thrown around in these circles, these guys are use to using duplex reticles in the SFP with crappy turrets they'll never turn because they think they are only for sighting in. BDC reticles have become popular in this crowd because they think they can shoot further than they normally could with their duplex reticle, but have no idea about how barrels, loads and atmospherics affect a bullets trajectory. They have bought into a one size fits all mentality and are a very stubborn bunch. Most will not even know the term FFP and if they do they will immediately scoff, "but you can't use the reticle at low magnification" even though they've never tried, mind you this is the same group that would use a BDC reticle which is calibrated to one magnification and may often shoot an animal at a different magnification and miss it because the reticle was off.

How is it that I know all of this about these hunters? It's because I was one of them and believed all the same load of crap. But having come from that world has helped me to understand a little more about where they are coming from and I have tried to educate those within my realm of influence (about 3 people mind you :LOL:) and bring them to the light. Is a FFP mil/mil or moa/moa scope perfect for every imaginable situation, certainly not, but neither is any scope out there. That being said, if your goal is long range shooting whether you are a hunter or a competitor or just a weekend warrior who loves to ring steel, then you would be doing yourself a great service by investing in a decent FFP scope and learning the system. This is what differentiates Snipers Hide from 24hr Campfire, Rokslide and others and while many hunters may not come here because they think this forum is just for "Snipers" they need to understand that many of the enhancements to our gear, ballistics, optics, etc. has come from the support of long range shooting in the military, only recently have we seen competitive sports like PRS/NRL beginning to influence the community and pushing the envelope even further (and possibly even influencing decisions within the military). Oddly enough many of these hunters will swear by the 300 Win Mag or 308 because they believe it to be a "military" round, but they fail to look at all the other advancements being made for our troops to be more effective warriors that can also help them in their pursuit of game, paper or steel.

Gimme a SFP, 7-35 ATACR without a MOAR-T numbered reticle. I can use a tape measure, so I know what the big lines are. I don’t need a floating cross to smack ungulates either.

I peel weight out of the rest of my rifle with a Manners stock, Proof barrel and TBAC can, so I can afford the extra weight of a scope that gives me what I want.

Gimme a SFP, 7-35 ATACR without a MOAR-T numbered reticle. I can use a tape measure, so I know what the big lines are. I don’t need a floating cross to smack ungulates either.

I peel weight out of the rest of my rifle with a Manners stock, Proof barrel and TBAC can, so I can afford the extra weight of a scope that gives me what I want.
Why don’t you go full ior sfp plex?

I can’t tell if your joking or not?

Clarify what you mean by “full ior sfp plex.” IOR Valdada? No thanks. Plex? I want the ability to holdover since dialing isn’t a convenience afforded in a lot of hunting/depredation situations I’ve been confronted with.

I can’t post up in a section in Kansas and start bouncing heads off the ground while twisting on turrets after the first shot. Hogs in FL won’t stand still long enough to crank turrets either.

Reactions: deersniper
Clarify what you mean by “full ior sfp plex.” IOR Valdada? No thanks. Plex? I want the ability to holdover since dialing isn’t a convenience afforded in a lot of hunting/depredation situations I’ve been confronted with.

I can’t post up in a section in Kansas and start bouncing heads off the ground while twisting on turrets after the first shot. Hogs in FL won’t stand still long enough to crank turrets either.
Ok, I was joking with my first reply to you because I thought you were joking about the sfp atacr and tapemeasure?

Ok, I was joking with my first reply to you because I thought you were joking about the sfp atacr and tapemeasure?

I just don’t need or want a numbered reticle. Big lines equals 10 (or whatever) is kinda easy to remember. I can count to 10 without writing on my fingers. 20 if‘n I can go barefoot or my shoes are loose enough for me to wiggle my toes. I’m not hunting humans or even acting like it though.

I inspect things from aircraft to nuclear plants and everything in between for a living. I’m well versed in scales and what they are supposedly representing without needing numerical references scrawled all over.

Last edited:
I just don’t need or want a numbered reticle. Big lines equals 10 (or whatever) is kinda easy to remember. I can count to 10 without writing on my fingers. 20 if‘n I can go barefoot or my shoes are loose enough for me to wiggle my toes. I’m not hunting humans or even acting like it though.

I inspect things from aircraft to nuclear plants and everything in between for a living. I’m well versed in scales and what they are supposedly representing without needing numerical references scrawled all over.
Checkout the MSR2 reticle, I think that is for you

How about a good ol fixed 10 or 12 with a the mil r or xt reticle and 34 mm shorter tube? I think this would be a home run if they could do it for around a $1000 or Also appeals to a bunch of different setups and shooting disciplines. Not many options out there for a quality scope like that. I would buy a bunch of em myself.

This is interesting, what was wrong with your NX8 and what did they fix that made it "much better" optically?

I always thought the glass was decent, but I had that edge distortion that many have mentioned. Was really bad between 4-16x. Talked to Skott, he said that shouldn't be normal so I sent it back. Haven't really noticed it since. Just got done deer hunting with it. I quite liked it. Went from thinking I was going up put it on the chopping block when I first got it to now thinking I may get another.

Reactions: deersniper
I always thought the glass was decent, but I had that edge distortion that many have mentioned. Was really bad between 4-16x. Talked to Skott, he said that shouldn't be normal so I sent it back. Haven't really noticed it since. Just got done deer hunting with it. I quite liked it. Went from thinking I was going up put it on the chopping block when I first got it to now thinking I may get another.
That is very encouraging, how quick was the turnaround.

Reactions: slkzic

Here's my question, is "really bad" edge distortion abnormal? Or any edge distortion whatsoever?

Because if any edge distortion whatsoever is abnormal, they have a lot of work to do. All four NX8s I have looked through had it. The 20x versions were quite noticeable, pretty much in the "really bad" category. The 32x not quite as much.

I don't know about the 2.5-10 being considered "the" premier hunting optic, but it might be considered a popular choice. You also have to understand that many hunters are not properly educated when it comes to scopes and how to use them effectively. "Point Blank Range" is most likely still thrown around in these circles, these guys are use to using duplex reticles in the SFP with crappy turrets they'll never turn because they think they are only for sighting in. BDC reticles have become popular in this crowd because they think they can shoot further than they normally could with their duplex reticle, but have no idea about how barrels, loads and atmospherics affect a bullets trajectory. They have bought into a one size fits all mentality and are a very stubborn bunch. Most will not even know the term FFP and if they do they will immediately scoff, "but you can't use the reticle at low magnification" even though they've never tried, mind you this is the same group that would use a BDC reticle which is calibrated to one magnification and may often shoot an animal at a different magnification and miss it because the reticle was off.

How is it that I know all of this about these hunters? It's because I was one of them and believed all the same load of crap. But having come from that world has helped me to understand a little more about where they are coming from and I have tried to educate those within my realm of influence (about 3 people mind you :LOL:) and bring them to the light. Is a FFP mil/mil or moa/moa scope perfect for every imaginable situation, certainly not, but neither is any scope out there. That being said, if your goal is long range shooting whether you are a hunter or a competitor or just a weekend warrior who loves to ring steel, then you would be doing yourself a great service by investing in a decent FFP scope and learning the system. This is what differentiates Snipers Hide from 24hr Campfire, Rokslide and others and while many hunters may not come here because they think this forum is just for "Snipers" they need to understand that many of the enhancements to our gear, ballistics, optics, etc. has come from the support of long range shooting in the military, only recently have we seen competitive sports like PRS/NRL beginning to influence the community and pushing the envelope even further (and possibly even influencing decisions within the military). Oddly enough many of these hunters will swear by the 300 Win Mag or 308 because they believe it to be a "military" round, but they fail to look at all the other advancements being made for our troops to be more effective warriors that can also help them in their pursuit of game, paper or steel.
Well put sir!