• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2020?

Here's my question, is "really bad" edge distortion abnormal? Or any edge distortion whatsoever?

Because if any edge distortion whatsoever is abnormal, they have a lot of work to do. All four NX8s I have looked through had it. The 20x versions were quite noticeable, pretty much in the "really bad" category. The 32x not quite as much.
Unfortunately I think the only way to "know" is if you feel your scope has an "issue" with the optics, then send it in to Nightforce and have them look at it. But like Birddog mentions, how does the average shooter know whether or not the scope would fall into acceptable tolerances for NF's design?

Here's my question, is "really bad" edge distortion abnormal? Or any edge distortion whatsoever?

Because if any edge distortion whatsoever is abnormal, they have a lot of work to do. All four NX8s I have looked through had it. The 20x versions were quite noticeable, pretty much in the "really bad" category. The 32x not quite as much.

That's a very fare question. I believe mine came from the very first batch so at the time there wasn't much hands on reviews. I sent mine back. It was worth doing so for me. But the fact that so many are noticing it speaks more of the norm rather than mine having been a lame duck.

How bad was the distortion? It was annoying and very noticeable. I can't say I've really critiqued it a lot since, but the use I have had with it it hasn't been there enough (if it is there) to bother me.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Go spend a few minutes on 24hr Campfire or Rokslide. 98% of rifle hunters aren’t using a chassis rifle. The SFP NXS 2.5-10x42 is currently considered the premier hunting optic by that crowd. If they pushed it to x16 and gave it ED glass they’d sell like sunscreen in July.

actually if Nightforce would make a NXS 2.5-10x42 FFP with mil/mil, and kept it the same weight, I’d probably have one on almost ALL my hunting rifles. Or even better a 3-12x42.

Anything?
If you're hoping for a SFP NX8 that was only a rumor, more or less a hope, I do not think that scope is reality as we'd have seen some chatter on the web/social media by now.

Also, if memory serves (which at my age it doesn't serve very well :D) I believe the NX8 scopes were actually announced shortly after SHOT last year, so it's possible that the NX8 SFP could be announced later and not this week. Not to give hope where there is none but NF doesn't always announce at SHOT.