• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nightforce F1 ATACR 16x, 25x and 35x, effective spotting on paper distance

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
I was wondering, a ballpark distance for how far you could see 30 cal holes in a target with the newer NF glass. I know not everyone will be able to see with the same clarity and distance, but I was trying to get an idea how far out I might be able to spot 30 cal holes with the F1 16x, 25x, and the 35x

Thank you,
Scott

hey thanks, yes I mostly shoot steel, but I was curious about spotting on paper as well. I was using a NF 2.5-10 and could see impacts on steel and splashes in sand at 600, not at 1000. I felt I wanted more as far as spotting is concerned.

Scott

Man, I just wanna say I love my 4-16 F1 ATACR... I think it suits a hunting rifle well because of its size and love the zero set turret..

I can spot holes in paper targets at 600 yards @ 25x with my scope (not a Nightforce). So I'm pretty sure with the NF 7-35, you'll be ok. I'm young, and have good eyes. And when I say "spot shots" I don't mean like I can clearly see the bullet holes as though the target were at 100 yards. I mean, I can just barely make out a point of impact well enough to know where I hit.

Maybe 300 if the conditions are great.

I've used my spotting scopes or my high power NF (12-42 NXS or 15-55 Comp) and been able to find holes at 600 on good days... on white paper. Using a small aiming point and shooting on the back side of NRA targets. Again if the conditions are right, you can usually pick it up after you get 2 or 3 holes in there when the conditions are good. If it's hot, forget it.

2a8qpua.jpg

This is the 7-35x. Most of the splashes on the targets are from a .308. Not exactly what you asked, but gives you an idea.

Thank you phlegm, that's a helpful comparison... I'm leaning toward the 35x. I'll probably use it mostly under 20x, but the extra mag would be nice to have on tap.

Thanks for posting up.

2a8qpua.jpg

This is the 7-35x. Most of the splashes on the targets are from a .308. Not exactly what you asked, but gives you an idea.

A second thanks for the pic as I've been looking at the 7-35 but wanted to see what the mag looked like beforehand.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

Thank you phlegm, that's a helpful comparison... I'm leaning toward the 35x. I'll probably use it mostly under 20x, but the extra mag would be nice to have on tap.

Thanks for posting up.

Agreed. I shot a PRS match out to 972 and never went over 20x. 35x does make it easier to pick out shots and observe groups, when shooting paper.