Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS 5-22, ranging at 11 power

JustEric

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone know the subtension of the hash marks for the NP-R2 reticle at 11 power? At 22 power the subension for the vertical hashes are 2 MOA. According to something I found, the subension at 10x to 15x is 1.5 times that of 22. So I guess at 10x to 15x, the vertical hashes represent 3 MOA (2 MOA x 1.5). I guess the horizontal hashes are 7.5 MOA (5 MOA x 1.5).

The problem is that in tactical matches I can't find targets at 22 power. I need to dial back to 12 or less to find and reacquire my targets.

Does anyone have a chart for the NP-R2 that adjusts the subtension for different powers?

Thanks,
Eric

If the sub tension is 2 minutes at full power , they would be multiplied 1.5 at. 3/4 power (3 minutes), 2x at half power (4 minutes) etc. You have to check against a known size target though because. 11 may not be 1/2.

At 11 power, each MOA turns into 2 MOA. The NP-R2 reticle has 2 MOA vertical and 5 MOA horizontal at 22x to the best of my memory. So at 11x, you are looking at 4 MOA vertical and 10 MOA horizontal. The NP-R2 reticle is tough for matches.

Any suggestions on how to hold for wind with the NP-R2 5-22 scope when the power is set down to 12x? With the hash marks at approximately 10 MOA, holding over for a fraction of that will be tough. Isn't 10 MOA about 100 inches at 1000 yards? I'll probably try to figure out the hold over based on percentage of the target. For example hold over 1/2 the target size or 3 times the target... Of course that requires knowing the size of the target and the number of inches of holdover.

How much would it cost to get a new reticle put on my scope? Which is best suited for tactical matches shooting out to 1000+ yards?

Thanks,
Eric