Rifle Scopes nightforce or schmidt and bender. im buying tomoro

mrredbeard1959

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
i am not sure what scope to get. it will be going on a blaser tac 2 in 338 lapua . with out using the cost in mind what do you guys think of the two scopes? i know a lot more people have nightforce, but is it because it is half the price????

Re: nightforce or schmidt and bender. im buying tomoro

and then...there are them scopes with TWO reticles in them....way less than half the price too....so....that would seem like a bargin to me.

I have always felt that optics are something you should spend as much as possible on, there is no substitute for a good sighting system. That being said if you have the funds go the S&B route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce are really nice but if you have the cash go for the S&B. </div></div>

+1

Although I really do like my Nightforce.

what type of shooting are you doing? for a work gun, yes go for it, for a fun, weekend shooter its not worth it

for me an S and B isnt worth twice the cost. glass isnt twice as good, tracking isnt twice is good, FFP doesnt offer me twice the ability to range stuff. the S and B doesnt have twice the travel.

is it better, in my opinion yes, but being slightly better in every catogory doesnt equal 2x the price for me.

just like with everything eles there is a point of diminishing returns on your investment.

its kinda like getting a GAP rifle, it will look and shoot great, but wont really outpreform a bedded, rebarreled and trued 700p for 3 or 4 x the cost if done by any decent gunsmith.

S&B or premier depending on your shooting type.

Nightforce is a nice scope for the masses IMHO, but S&B trumps it in every way including value, again, IMO

Nothing wrong with the NF scopes... nothing at all.

Feature wise theres more going on with the S&B, but its up to you.

End of the day they are both proven scopes and you can not go wrong with either choice. There are high end tactical rifle builders that recomend either for their builds.

For example AI will point you towards a S&B
Cheytac will point you towards a NF

Im sure neither will tell you one is crap compared to the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear good things about the Vortex Razor, $1999 at SWFA </div></div>

I agree......
smile.gif

I cant believe no one has mentioned Hensoldt or USO. Only scope Id take over the Henny is a nice USO built to my specs or a S&B 3-20 but those arent out yet.

The op asked about S&B and Nightforce, we should keep on his track about helping him with a purchase to be made tomorrow, let's not add choices. I have two S&B and have complete faith in them. Either of his choices are great scopes, my vote is based on my satisfaction with my purchases. Would do the same thing again.

Merlinn

The S&B 5-25x56 with the P4F is a great scope to have on a 338 (I recommend the P4F instead of the P4 as at 1000 yards if you have the dial up to 25x the P4 is just a bit thick)

Hell, with all the $300-$700.00 super star scopes poping up like popcorn,why settle for more expensive scopes .. LOL

Realy,IMHO if you get the S&B or NXS scope you are not backing up on reliability.I feel the S&B to have better resalution and ability to see at dusk dawn and sun in your lens better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merlinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The op asked about S&B and Nightforce, we should keep on his track about helping him with a purchase to be made tomorrow, let's not add choices. I have two S&B and have complete faith in them. Either of his choices are great scopes, my vote is based on my satisfaction with my purchases. Would do the same thing again.

Merlinn </div></div>

My point is that if you have seen the F1 (Nightforce) and the Razor (Vortex). There is a "bang for the buck" that should not be overlooked.

by the time you clap out a NF to match SB spec (zero stop, rapid turrets) - its not double. Look through both, turn the knobs, see which looks best to your eye, and feels best in your hand.

I think SB is generally better product, and to me makes more sense (operatively). Either way have fun!

From my experience, I would say DEFINITELY go with S&B if you have the cash for it. I am both a previous and current owner of S&B, NF, USO and IOR scopes. The S&B's have better glass compared to the NF (I'm comparing the S&B 5-25x56 to the 5.5-22x50), I prefer the knobs better, S&B's has better illumination control and the S&B just feels much more solid plus it's FFP vs. SFP (unless you're comparing to the F1). Honestly, taking the price out of the equation, I can see no reason to pick the NF over a S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear good things about the Vortex Razor, $1999 at SWFA</div></div>
+1 on that as an alternative. Gives you lots of the features you are looking for, FFP. 5 x 20, three reticles to choose from, and glass clarity up there in the Nightforce, S&B range.

Schmidt & Bender is in a class by itself.

Nightforce makes a great scope too. But Nightforce realy needs to start putting better glass in them.

WHile I like the durability of a nightforce. Schmidts are a better scope but cost more.

Re: nightforce or schmidt and bender. im buying to

I know this wasn't listed as an option, but I have several Premier scopes and decided on them over the S&B because the glass was comparable and I liked the features and reticle better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is that if you have seen the F1 (Nightforce) and the Razor (Vortex). There is a "bang for the buck" that should not be overlooked.
</div></div>

+1

i've shot both and set people up with both on 338 Lapua rifles, the schmidt and bender would be my choice personally, the 34mm tube and larger exit pupil and better glass is a benefit when stretching out that 338. either will do the job and do it well, but the s&b is my pick.

Jay, how is the 34mm tube of the S&B a benefit? The NF has more elevation still right? Of the two I would go with a 5-25 S&B. If you are going with a little less mag, the 4-16 Hensoldt can't be beat in my opinion.

on higher magnification, the 34mm tube gives you a larger exit pupil, the better glass is nice to have too. that hensoldt 4-16 nh1 is an awesome scope, but most 338 shooters like more magnification in my experience. i just got in a 6-24x72 SAM for a customer, can't wait to hear how he likes it

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the exit pupil is only a function of the objective lens and the magnification. Exit pupil = objective lens diameter/magnification.

I will sum my answer up in two words!!

Schmidt Bender!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you doing? for a work gun, yes go for it, for a fun, weekend shooter its not worth it

for me an S and B isnt worth twice the cost. glass isnt twice as good, tracking isnt twice is good, FFP doesnt offer me twice the ability to range stuff. the S and B doesnt have twice the travel.

is it better, in my opinion yes, but being slightly better in every catogory doesnt equal 2x the price for me.

just like with everything eles there is a point of diminishing returns on your investment.

its kinda like getting a GAP rifle, it will look and shoot great, but wont really outpreform a bedded, rebarreled and trued 700p for 3 or 4 x the cost if done by any decent gunsmith.

</div></div>

+1 Roger that.... The S&B is not $2k better than a NF... It may have better light gathering but BARELY, it may get you an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day... Are you going to be shooting at dusk or low light enough to justify features that you may never use? thats up to you... There is koolaid by the bucket fulls being sucked down by so many people about S&B. You can get a NF with custom reticle, FFP, blah blah, trick it out and it will still be half the cost of a S&B with half the specs... and for what?... 15 more minutes of trigger time? PERSONALLY it aint worth it. but to each his own.. good luck

I mean come on, we can break it down and say a Falcon or WoTac is more than good enough for most people. Is a NF F1 **SIX TIMES** better than a WoTac? I don't think so...but it is better.

This is a typical argument I hear from people. The problem is that a lot of people think that you should get twice the "X, Y, Z" if you're paying twice as much. In real life, this doesn't really happen. S&B isn't "twice" the scope as say a NF but it IS better. As with most high end things, your return vs. cost starts to diminish as you go higher end but that doesn't mean the higher end item isn't worth it. It all depends on what you value. If I can get a extra 15 minutes during $25,000 semi-luxury African Safari hunting trip that nabs me a prize kill, guess what? The extra $1000 I spend on a S&B over a NF F1 is not only a drop in the bucket, but it's also worth it.

Everyone loves to pay less and get more but in most cases, this just doesn't happen. NF glass is not as good as S&B. NF's controls aren't as nice as S&B's. NF illumination system isn't a good as S&B's, etc. Personally, if you can afford it, I say get the best you can.

what recce said. One thing I learned about high end optics is that to get that 10% better it's going to cost you twice as much. There comes a point where "better" comes at a significant cost.

I have a NF and I have not handled a S&B, but so far my NF has worked very well.

This is a common discussion on any of a number of products. At what point do you reach diminishing returns. In all fairness Nightforce, S&B, Henny, USO, etc (in no particular order) you have passed that point. You as the shooter need to get behind the product and see what works best for you. In fairness I have not owned a S&B or a Henny and as such my opinions are based on limited exposure time. I have used all of them and I think you will find that all of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

I would add one item into this discussion and should not be minimized. The additional cost of the S&B over the Nightforce could be well spent going to Rifles Only or similar training facility and developing a skill that will surpass ANY advantage the optics may or may not have. If money is “no object”, by all means get the S&B, order 10k rounds of FGMM, sign up for PR 1 & 2 at RO and have a day of it. For the rest of us schlubs we need to find that balance point.

i understand quality, i choose to drive a ninty thousand dollar BMW as my daily driver. im willing to pay an excessive premium for something that i can feel and use on a regular basis.

even getting out a couple times a month, and a maybe a half dozen times a year to shoot long range steel, the SB doesnt offer me enough of an advantage to drop an extra 1000 bucks on it.

its not a question of affording it, its value just isnt there for me but to add on to what chiller said,

you have to find that sweet spot in what works for you, for me i would rather spend the money on a used standard nightforce and runing some type of long range course to improve my skill. having premo gear is great but theres nothing worse than having the gear sit in a safe or not being able to utilize everything the scope has to offer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
+1 Roger that.... The S&B is not $2k better than a NF... It may have better light gathering but BARELY, it may get you an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day... Are you going to be shooting at dusk or low light enough to justify features that you may never use? thats up to you... There is koolaid by the bucket fulls being sucked down by so many people about S&B. You can get a NF with custom reticle, FFP, blah blah, trick it out and it will still be half the cost of a S&B with half the specs... and for what?... 15 more minutes of trigger time? PERSONALLY it aint worth it. but to each his own.. good luck</div></div>

First off the S&B isn't $2k more than a comparable NF or even a SFP NF for that matter.

Second you can not get a similar NF for half the cost of an S&B. The only FFP scope NF makes is the 3.5-15x50 F1. That's it. You want more power? Out of luck. Oh and that scope is $2290. About $600-900 less than any S&B depending on where you shop. Not twice as much. They were selling brand new S&B 5-25s in the Commercial section not too long ago for $2850.

As to the kool aid, well after trying all the other brands of kool aid, I have found I like the S&B the best. That's an informed decision of someone who has used all of them for more than a few shots out at the range. Lots of people who haven't used most of these scopes have all sorts of opinions but you know the saying about opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
+1 Roger that.... The S&B is not $2k better than a NF... It may have better light gathering but BARELY, it may get you an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day... Are you going to be shooting at dusk or low light enough to justify features that you may never use? thats up to you... There is koolaid by the bucket fulls being sucked down by so many people about S&B. You can get a NF with custom reticle, FFP, blah blah, trick it out and it will still be half the cost of a S&B with half the specs... and for what?... 15 more minutes of trigger time? PERSONALLY it aint worth it. but to each his own.. good luck</div></div>

First off the S&B isn't $2k more than a comparable NF or even a SFP NF for that matter.

Second you can not get a similar NF for half the cost of an S&B. The only FFP scope NF makes is the 3.5-15x50 F1. That's it. You want more power? Out of luck. Oh and that scope is $2290. About $600-900 less than any S&B depending on where you shop. Not twice as much. They were selling brand new S&B 5-25s in the Commercial section not too long ago for $2850.

As to the kool aid, well after trying all the other brands of kool aid, I have found I like the S&B the best. That's an informed decision of someone who has used all of them for more than a few shots out at the range. Lots of people who haven't used most of these scopes have all sorts of opinions but you know the saying about opinions. </div></div>

All true... I was recently faced with the same query and I went with S&B - which now sits atop my new Tac Ops Tango-51. I have used both optics, and at the time of my purchase, the FFP NXS was not available. The cost difference was significant, but now that I got EXACTLY what I wanted, I am VERY HAPPY!

rasheed