Rifle Scopes nightforce or schmidt and bender. im buying tomoro

Re: nightforce or schmidt and bender. im buying tomoro

I GOT IT. I JUST GOT HOME WITH MY NEW SCOPE!!! LIFE IS GOOD.
i went with a schmidt bender. 5-25x56 pm2/p4
i didnt go with fine because of two reasons.
1. they didnt have it in stock
2. when i looked thru the scope i had a hard time seeing the cross hair that was fine on one of there other models. so i went with the p4. i hope i like it. i will say something that you guys will find funny. i was having a hard time seeing the cross hairs. i looked thru 3 nightforce and 3 schmidt bender scopes. well when i got hom i turned the eye pc on the scope and guess what happened. the cross hairs became very clear. who knew!!! i guess im a dumb shit. now i wounder if i should of got the mil dot or waited 4 weeks till the p4fine came in. any way i am home with my scope. thanks for all you help. just for the record the night force was a very nice scope. i think that it would of worked fine for me but s and b won me over. when i put in on my blase tac 2 ill post a pic.

Congrats on your purchase. You will really enjoy the scope.

Its really simple , S&B PMII , its been the std for well over 10yrs , and for very good reasons .

I brought a brand new 4-16x50mm PMII with P4f lit reticle for $2500 , and the NXS F1 was $2300 at the same time , opps .

I would look for Hensoldt to bring out a higher than 16x model on the back of their PSR prototype model in the 24x range FFP .

Cheers Chris

I've used NF, PH, SB, MK4, and USO. I liked the SB more than the NF, but liked the PH more than the SB. Trying using a few different one before spending that kind of money if you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you doing? for a work gun, yes go for it, for a fun, weekend shooter its not worth it

for me an S and B isnt worth twice the cost. glass isnt twice as good, tracking isnt twice is good, FFP doesnt offer me twice the ability to range stuff. the S and B doesnt have twice the travel.

is it better, in my opinion yes, but being slightly better in every catogory doesnt equal 2x the price for me.

just like with everything eles there is a point of diminishing returns on your investment.

its kinda like getting a GAP rifle, it will look and shoot great, but wont really outpreform a bedded, rebarreled and trued 700p for 3 or 4 x the cost if done by any decent gunsmith.

</div></div>

+1 Roger that.... The S&B is not $2k better than a NF... It may have better light gathering but BARELY, it may get you an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day... Are you going to be shooting at dusk or low light enough to justify features that you may never use? thats up to you... There is koolaid by the bucket fulls being sucked down by so many people about S&B. You can get a NF with custom reticle, FFP, blah blah, trick it out and it will still be half the cost of a S&B with half the specs... and for what?... 15 more minutes of trigger time? PERSONALLY it aint worth it. but to each his own.. good luck </div></div>

Where do you guys come up with this shit? Someone show me a rule that says just because something is worth 2x as much (in this case your pricing is way off), then you shouldn't buy it if it isn't 2x better.

If something doesn't float your boat then so be it, but trying to convince someone to not buy a product based on that comparison is nonsense.

congrats on the S&B
went through a similiar thing recently
after trying a ton of different optics for my 6.8 over the last few years (used for hunting) I tried a 1.5-6 S&B Flashdot #9
I knew instantly it was the scope I had been looking for...
expensive?
yes!
but, it matches my needs and expectations to a T so to speak

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As to the kool aid, well after trying all the other brands of kool aid, I have found I like the S&B the best. </div></div>

not arguing on what you think is best, thats why I said "PERSONALLY it aint worth it" and for the cost of an extra 15 min of light, (to me) it is not. Money having not been an issue, i wouldnt expect the OP to buy anything but a S&B. But this being an opinionated question you are going to have those who preferr the grape flavor over the cherry..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you doing? for a work gun, yes go for it, for a fun, weekend shooter its not worth it

for me an S and B isnt worth twice the cost. glass isnt twice as good, tracking isnt twice is good, FFP doesnt offer me twice the ability to range stuff. the S and B doesnt have twice the travel.

is it better, in my opinion yes, but being slightly better in every catogory doesnt equal 2x the price for me.

just like with everything eles there is a point of diminishing returns on your investment.

its kinda like getting a GAP rifle, it will look and shoot great, but wont really outpreform a bedded, rebarreled and trued 700p for 3 or 4 x the cost if done by any decent gunsmith.

</div></div>

+1 Roger that.... The S&B is not $2k better than a NF... It may have better light gathering but BARELY, it may get you an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day... Are you going to be shooting at dusk or low light enough to justify features that you may never use? thats up to you... There is koolaid by the bucket fulls being sucked down by so many people about S&B. You can get a NF with custom reticle, FFP, blah blah, trick it out and it will still be half the cost of a S&B with half the specs... and for what?... 15 more minutes of trigger time? PERSONALLY it aint worth it. but to each his own.. good luck </div></div>

Where do you guys come up with this shit? Someone show me a rule that says just because something is worth 2x as much (in this case your pricing is way off), then you shouldn't buy it if it isn't 2x better.

If something doesn't float your boat then so be it, but trying to convince someone to not buy a product based on that comparison is nonsense. </div></div>

there is no rule...but your getting to that point of diminishing return. the OP wanted more than just your opinion so he asked EVERYONE. Otherwise he would have PM'd you directly. You'll notice words like "personally" and "thats up to you", indicating its not for everyone.
Dont worry if there is or isnt a $2k gap in scopes. The OP already knows what they cost, its irrelevant. One comparable set of prices is $1945 to $3200.. Whats the percentage difference? I dont know either, dont care, and not going to spend the time just to say "oh one is 67% more expensive but not 67% better glass" Like Rob points out... opinions...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you doing? for a work gun, yes go for it, for a fun, weekend shooter its not worth it

+1

</div></div>

What you Americans dont realise is that there is a way to order a S&B 5-25 from the UK for about $2600 with shipping.

Your only liable for local taxes just like when you bought it in the US.

Now you only have yourselves to blame here you made the UK beef its export policy up on scopes and now they are export restricted.

You can actually get an export licence pretty easy though. there are a number of gun shops in the UK who will ship to you.

Nice choice...you won't be disappointed, however, you won't be able to blame to scope for the missed shots.
wink.gif

Good choice. I have owned probably more scopes than I should, and I really loved the two Schmidt and Benders I had. When the new 3-20 gets here, I'll have another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a common discussion on any of a number of products. At what point do you reach diminishing returns. In all fairness Nightforce, S&B, Henny, USO, etc (in no particular order) you have passed that point. You as the shooter need to get behind the product and see what works best for you. In fairness I have not owned a S&B or a Henny and as such my opinions are based on limited exposure time. I have used all of them and I think you will find that all of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

I would add one item into this discussion and should not be minimized. The additional cost of the S&B over the Nightforce could be well spent going to Rifles Only or similar training facility and developing a skill that will surpass ANY advantage the optics may or may not have. If money is “no object”, by all means get the S&B, order 10k rounds of FGMM, sign up for PR 1 & 2 at RO and have a day of it. For the rest of us schlubs we need to find that balance point.
</div></div>
Very well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you Americans dont realise is that there is a way to order a S&B 5-25 from the UK for about $2600 with shipping.

Now you only have yourselves to blame here you made the UK beef its export policy up on scopes and now they are export restricted.

You can actually get an export licence pretty easy though. there are a number of gun shops in the UK who will ship to you. </div></div>

Nice one.

Won't be able to much longer with tards like you telling the world.

Ever heard of distribution agreements?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you doing? for a work gun, yes go for it, for a fun, weekend shooter its not worth it

</div></div>

If something doesn't float your boat then so be it, but trying to convince someone to not buy a product based on that comparison is nonsense. </div></div>

there is no rule...but your getting to that point of diminishing return. the OP wanted more than just your opinion so he asked EVERYONE. Otherwise he would have PM'd you directly. You'll notice words like "personally" and "thats up to you", indicating its not for everyone.
Dont worry if there is or isnt a $2k gap in scopes. The OP already knows what they cost, its irrelevant. One comparable set of prices is $1945 to $3200.. Whats the percentage difference? I dont know either, dont care, and not going to spend the time just to say "oh one is 67% more expensive but not 67% better glass" Like Rob points out... opinions... </div></div>

Um... I never offered my opinion on what scope to purchase.

I'm not worried about the cost gap, you are. That was his point, cost wasn't the issue in picking one over the other and you made it the issue by suggesting the S&B is overpriced for an extra 15 minutes of shooting.

Still haven't figured out most of your response anyway. There is only 1 Nightforce FFP. What exactly are you "tricking" out that only has half the specs of a S&B?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you Americans dont realise is that there is a way to order a S&B 5-25 from the UK for about $2600 with shipping.

You can actually get an export licence pretty easy though. there are a number of gun shops in the UK who will ship to you. </div></div>

Nice one.

Won't be able to much longer with tards like you telling the world.

Ever heard of distribution agreements?

</div></div>

Ever heard of the free world market?

Dumb ass

Since the £ declined the UK has the cheapest goods in europe now. When the dollar was weak everyone bought from the states.

Anyway are you here to protect distributers margins? or help hide members get scopes at the price they should be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess one UK distributor is about to loose the S&B line....
But you show off your knowledge, so who cares. </div></div>

Actually its illegal in the EU to limit or control the sale of goods by any manufacturer. Only thing they can do is recommend a RRP.

Breach of this law in the EU is 10% fine of global turnover.

Its not the same as the US. its about the only decent law we got over here!

No MAP pricing. No Fixed or minimum prices.

Buy hey if your not interested then i wont bother any more. not my loss

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrredbeard1959</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I GOT IT. I JUST GOT HOME WITH MY NEW SCOPE!!! LIFE IS GOOD.
i went with a schmidt bender. 5-25x56 pm2/p4
</div></div>

He already made the best choice
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the new Schmidt!! If i could afford it, there'd be one on my pellet rifle....</div></div>

LMAO! Ha ha ha ha ha!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the new Schmidt!! If i could afford it, there'd be one on my pellet rifle....</div></div>

i once put a S&B 3-12x50 Precision hunter on a 177 pellet gun.

Then i realised that it was Px adjusted for about 200 yards

Epic Fail.

Contrats on your new S&B.

I've used NF for a few years - I like them, they're tuff as hell and they work.

The one key issue for me is that they only parallax adjust down to 50 yards. Out shooting is not an issue, but dryfire practice is an issue as I don't have 50 yds inside of my garage or home to dryfire practice. The S&B's will focus down to about 11 FT....that I can do inside the house or garage.