Rifle Scopes Nightforce scope at 25 yards

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
I noticed this weekend that my NF 5.5-22x56mm scope cannot focus the reticle at my indoor 25 yard range even at 5.5x regardless of side focus settings. It was the first time I used it indoors as the weather is getting chilly. All of my other scopes seem to do fine at this distance. Both my Leupold Mark IV at lower power have a sharp Image and crisp reticle. These scopes are similar in magnification (6.5-20x50mm). With the NF both the image and reticle are very blurry at 25 yards.

Do any other NF owners also have this issue? It seems the reticle only wants to focus at distances past 50 yards. It seems like the NF scope has a much longer minimum focal distance.

Re: Nightforce scope at 25 yards

Good to know I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm a bit surprised by that minimum focal distance. It is substantially longer than any other scope I've owned including Leupold and Bushnell Elite lines. Some of the other scopes even had higher minimum and maximum magnification.

It must have something to do with how the side focus is setup. I noticed with the Leupold that the majority of the SF adjustment happens from about 15-100 yards to get the picture clear. However, everything beyond 150 yards just set the SF at the highest infinty distance setting and pretty much all is clear.

The NF is the opposite. Everything upto about 35 yards is never clear, however at farther distances, adjustment is required from the SF knob. Between 100, 200, 300 yards and beyond I find myself constantly fine tuning the knob to get a clear sight picture matched up with the reticle. Maybe that type of setup is intended to allow for more precise distance shots. Who really knows....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed this weekend that my NF 5.5-22x56mm scope cannot focus the reticle at my indoor 25 yard range even at 5.5x regardless of side focus settings. It was the first time I used it indoors as the weather is getting chilly. All of my other scopes seem to do fine at this distance. Both my Leupold Mark IV at lower power have a sharp Image and crisp reticle. These scopes are similar in magnification (6.5-20x50mm). With the NF both the image and reticle are very blurry at 25 yards.

Do any other NF owners also have this issue? It seems the reticle only wants to focus at distances past 50 yards. It seems like the NF scope has a much longer minimum focal distance. </div></div>

I feel your pain!!!

IMO this subject is the biggest failure in the rifle scope industry. Having parallax adjustments that do not focus down to 10 yards reduces a rifle scopes versatility. Every time I'm at a practical precision match and they have a sub 50Y stage I am reminded.

Alright finally some people who share my pain! I knew i wasn't crazy...

I always felt NF never got that Side Focus right. When I transition between targets at 100, 200, and 300 yards I need to dial in my SF, literally everything outside of that 50 yard zone is blurry and distorted. If I want to see 100 yards closer or farther, again I'm back to cranking on that knob.

I like the Leupold setup more where eveything at least looks decent and only requires slight fine tuning of the knob. This way I'm better able to keep my situational awareness.

I was worried about the same thing with the USO. I just ordered a 5x25 tpal
Their site say's accurate parallax adjustments from 50 yards out to infinity so I was concerned.
But I looked thru one at about thirty yards and it adjusted down fine. I hope mine comes the same way as the one I tried.
Sorry to hear that about the NF.
Chances are you won't really use it that much at 25yds
I know they are a top shelf scope. I've never had the opportunity to look thru a NF.

NF has a very very narrow photographic depth (I believe that is the right term). Only the target need to "be in focus". The thing is that the whole purpose of the SF knob is to eliminate parallax. You should be "re-focusing" for every range you shoot if you want to make the most accurate shots.

Tyler you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I was hoping someone would tell me. It reminds me of a camera when I'm taking up close macro shots where every inch of distance requires a focus adjustment.

When I first got the scope I thought there was something wrong. Its just so different with all the other scopes I've owned. Hopefully I'll get used to it and all its quirks.

My Nightforce won't focus down to 50 yards. It'll do 60, but not 50, in the sense that I can't get all of the parallax error out at that distance. I found this out when I had to mount my 5.5-22X50 on my rimfire rifle to shoot a match because my PST died on me.

It doesn't bother me much though. If I show up to a rifle match and they have me shooting at 50 yards, I'll likely be the last time I shoot that match. As a practical matter, anything that is 50 yards away that needs to be shot can be hit with my handgun.

We have shot down to 11 feet at the Snipers Hide Cup and shoot down to 25 yards at alot of matches. It's about testing your knowledge of your gear.

Gonna cut yourself out of alot of good matches with that attitude.
wink.gif

I think I'm going to pick up a Trijicon red dot and an offset mount to solve the close range problem. That would be quicker than the scope anyways when used in matches at sub-100yd shots.

Smart move with the Docter red dot sight. I should get one too and mount it 90 degrees on my AICS stock.

I don't shoot 25 yards everyday with my NF scope, I was at the indoor range cause it was cold out and wanted to try out my new muzzlebrake, you can't fully enjoy it unless you annoy the people next to you. It was at that time I realized the scope wasn't working at 25 yards.