Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 or SWFA SS 16x42

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
I'm looking to purchase a new scope for my Remington 700 sps varmint in .243. It sits in a B & C medalist stock. I use this rifle for playing at the range. I don't compete; although I think I would enjoy trying it one day.

It's not a hunting rifle. I have currently stretched it out to 1000 yards with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 mil dot and it did fine. I just want something a little better with a little more magnification - and target/tactical turrets.

Plus, I plan on moving the buckmaster to a .17 hmr I have if I get a new scope for the sps varmint.

The SWFA SS 16x42 will cost me a total of a few cents under $373 to my door b/c I have to buy 30mm rings with it.

I can get the a brand new Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 mil dot for $400 shipped. (not from swfa)

So the difference in cost is negligible, and if I get the Nikon I already have 1" Burris xtr rings.

Just looking for recommendations on which one to buy. I have never seen an swfa ss in person, so I'm taking a chance if I purchase it.

Re: Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 or SWFA SS 16x42

Actually, I just did another Google search and found that I can get the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 mil dot to my door for the same cost as the SWFA SS.

i recommend the nikon monarch 5.5 x 16.5 x44 they are real hard to find but i love them on my cheaper or huntings guns, actually have monarchs on all my hunting guns cant go wrong

I have both (the SS is a 10x, though) and while the Nikon is a fantastic buy for the money, if you're looking for target/tactical turrets, you'd be better served by the SS, plus a 30mm tube may serve you better in a paper punching role.. At the same time, though, if you do decide you want to take that rifle out hunting, a fixed 16x can be crippling at best depending on the game you're after.

Also, FWIW, Nikon sells target turrets for $100 if that's the deciding factor.

The rifle is strictly for the range, so the concern of having a fixed 16x in a hunting situation isn't that important. The only time it may come into play is if I decide to put the scope on a different rifle.

My most important criteria is good glass within my budget - crisp and clear.

If the Monarch has significantly better glass than the swfa ss then I would buy it no doubt.

The only other scope I was considering in my price range was the bushnell 3200 5-15x40 elite tactical. There's one on ebay for $299.

Is the 3200's glass equal to the Monarch and the SS?

I have had in the past several Monarch scopes and I had a 16x SS as well. The glass in the Monarch scopes is outstanding. In my opinion better than Leupold Mark IV series scopes. The Monarch Tactical scopes pop up from now and then here on the hide and the 4-16 50mm model is one of the better Second Focal Plane scopes that are Mil/MOA. Damed close in glass quality to my NF scope. The one quality in the SS scope that stands out to me is the robust nature of it's manufacture. For an inexpensive scope it's very well made. I had mine for 3 years on a .308 Win. I beat the living hell out of it and it never missed a click. However, for a little more money I think you can get a much better optic than the Monarch or the SS scopes, at least in terms of features. Hard to beat the Monarch series in terms of glass.

Another thought is the Nikon Buckmasters scopes. I ran a 4.5-14 Buckmasters on my tactical 22LR trainer for several years and it was also a great little scope for the money. That's a consideration if you're on a tight budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is the 3200's glass equal to the Monarch and the SS? </div></div>

Based on my experience with their 10x 3200 scope, the answer is no. The 4200's and the Monarchs are supposed to be on par with each other though.

Tman300wm,

I have the buckmaster that you spoke of and am going to put it on a 17 hmr.

You said for a little more money I can get a much better scope than the monarch; what do you recommend?

Thanks

I hate scope research - its almost as bad as gun safe research. I'm going to throw another one into the mix - weaver super slam 3-15x50 with the EBX reticle.